Обсуждение: date stamp on update?

date stamp on update?

От
"blackwater dev"
Дата:
Is there a datatype in postgres that will automatically update the date when the row is updated?  I know I can do a timestamp and set the default to now() but once the row is inserted, and then edited, I want the column updated without editing my application code or adding a trigger.  Is this possible with Postgres?

Thanks!

Re: date stamp on update?

Дата:
"blackwater dev" <blackwaterdev@gmail.com> writes:
> Is there a datatype in postgres that will automatically update the date when
> the row is updated?

No, and it's conceptually impossible to make that happen at the datatype
level.  Use a trigger.

            regards, tom lane

Re: date stamp on update?

От
Martin Gainty

Create Table TableName(
ColumnName DATE Sysdate;
);
ALTER TABLE TableName
ALTER COLUMN ColumnName { SET DEFAULT newdefaultvalue | DROP OLDDEFAULT }

HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Is there a datatype in postgres that will automatically update the date when the row is updated?  I know I can do a timestamp and set the default to now() but once the row is inserted, and then edited, I want the column updated without editing my application code or adding a trigger.  Is this possible with Postgres?

Thanks!

Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now. Download now.

Re: date stamp on update?

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 05:34:26PM -0500, blackwater dev wrote:
> Is there a datatype in postgres that will automatically update the date when
> the row is updated?  I know I can do a timestamp and set the default to
> now() but once the row is inserted, and then edited, I want the column
> updated without editing my application code or adding a trigger.  Is this
> possible with Postgres?

http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2008/05/08/mysqls-timestamp-in-postgresql/

depesz

--