Обсуждение: problems with large table

problems with large table

От
Mike Charnoky
Дата:
Hi,

I'm using PostgreSQL 8.1.8 and am having trouble with a table which
contains a large amount of data.  Data is constantly being inserted into
the table, roughly a million inserts per hour at peak.  The table
currently has about 100 million entries which take up 14G of space (24G
with indices).

The problem in nutshell: I noticed that certain queries were
excruciatingly slow, despite the use of an index.  A vacuum analyze of
the table would not complete (despite running for 2 days).  A reindex
also failed to complete after one day.

The details: I was trying to perform a count(*) based on a timestamp
field in the table (which is indexed).  An EXPLAIN ANALYZE showed a high
cost even though an index scan was used.  I tried to VACUUM ANALYZE the
table, thinking this might help.  Yes, autovacuum is turned on, but
since pg8.1 does not store info about when a table was last vacuumed, I
decided to run this manually.  After several hours, the vacuum did not
complete.  So, I disabled the process which was writing to this table
and tried "set vacuum_cost_delay=0" before vacuuming.  After two days,
the vacuum did not complete, so I stopped it and tried to reindex the
table, thinking that indices were corrupted.  This also failed to
complete after one day.

At this point, I'm at a loss.  I've searched the archives for similar
problems, but none of the suggestions have worked.  Is the data in this
table corrupted?  Why are both vacuum and reindex failing to complete?
Is there some sort of fine-tuning I should pay attention to?  Any help
is much appreciated.

Mike

Re: problems with large table

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: problems with large table

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > At this point, I'm at a loss.  I've searched the archives for similar
> > problems, but none of the suggestions have worked.  Is the data in this
> > table corrupted?  Why are both vacuum and reindex failing to complete?
> > Is there some sort of fine-tuning I should pay attention to?  Any help
> > is much appreciated.
>
> At this point, you are in a world of hurt :). If you stop a vacuum you
> have created a huge mess of dead rows in that table. My suggestion is
> this to create a new table that is populated from the old table, rename
> the old table to big_table new, rename new table to old table. Run analyze.

Running CLUSTER is a faster and less error-prone way of doing the same thing.

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"No single strategy is always right (Unless the boss says so)"

Re: problems with large table

Дата:
> At this point, you are in a world of hurt :). If you stop a vacuum you
> have created a huge mess of dead rows in that table.

Only if it was a vacuum full, which he didn't mention having tried.

I'm kinda wondering whether the vacuum and reindex did anything at all,
or were blocked by some other process holding a lock on the table.
If they weren't blocked, then the problem is insufficient patience,
possibly combined with insufficient maintenance_work_mem.

            regards, tom lane

Re: problems with large table

От
Mike Charnoky
Дата:
I have never heard that stopping a vacuum is problematic... I have had
to do this many times in the past without any adverse affects.  Is there
some sort of documentation which elaborates on this issue?

For the record, I did a VACUUM ANALYZE, not FULL.  Now that I think
about it, I probably should have used VERBOSE to see what is happening.
 Nothing else was accessing the database, so no process had a lock on
the table.

Tom, regarding insufficient patience: are you suggesting that it is
normal for a vacuum of a table this size to take more than two days
under these circumstances?  maintenance_work_mem is 16384.

Joshua: I'm copying the data to a new table right now, I'll see how that
goes.

Alvaro: The cluster suggestion probably won't help in my case since data
in the table should already be naturally ordered by date.

Mike

Tom Lane wrote:
>> At this point, you are in a world of hurt :). If you stop a vacuum you
>> have created a huge mess of dead rows in that table.
>
> Only if it was a vacuum full, which he didn't mention having tried.
>
> I'm kinda wondering whether the vacuum and reindex did anything at all,
> or were blocked by some other process holding a lock on the table.
> If they weren't blocked, then the problem is insufficient patience,
> possibly combined with insufficient maintenance_work_mem.
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: problems with large table

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Mike Charnoky wrote:

> Alvaro: The cluster suggestion probably won't help in my case since data
> in the table should already be naturally ordered by date.

It's not helpful only for reordering, but also for getting rid of dead
tuples.

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
"Porque Kim no hacia nada, pero, eso sí,

Re: problems with large table

От
"Phoenix Kiula"
Дата:
On 13/09/2007, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Mike Charnoky wrote:
>
> > Alvaro: The cluster suggestion probably won't help in my case since data
> > in the table should already be naturally ordered by date.
>
> It's not helpful only for reordering, but also for getting rid of dead
> tuples.

Apart from creating a new table, indexing it, then renaming it to
original table -- is there an alternative to CLUSTER that doesn't
impose a painful ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock on the table? We are on
Postgres 8.2.3 and have a heavy duty table that starts showing its
limits after a week or so. Autovacuum is on and working. FSM etc is
fine, maintenance_work_mem is 256MB. But cluster still takes upwards
of 30 minutes, which is unacceptable downtime for our web service.
Thanks for any tips!

Re: problems with large table

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Phoenix Kiula escribió:
> On 13/09/2007, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Mike Charnoky wrote:
> >
> > > Alvaro: The cluster suggestion probably won't help in my case since data
> > > in the table should already be naturally ordered by date.
> >
> > It's not helpful only for reordering, but also for getting rid of dead
> > tuples.
>
> Apart from creating a new table, indexing it, then renaming it to
> original table -- is there an alternative to CLUSTER that doesn't
> impose a painful ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock on the table? We are on
> Postgres 8.2.3 and have a heavy duty table that starts showing its
> limits after a week or so. Autovacuum is on and working. FSM etc is
> fine, maintenance_work_mem is 256MB. But cluster still takes upwards
> of 30 minutes, which is unacceptable downtime for our web service.
> Thanks for any tips!

How large is this table, and how frequently is it updated?

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"El Maquinismo fue proscrito so pena de cosquilleo hasta la muerte"

Re: problems with large table

Дата:
"Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> writes:
> Apart from creating a new table, indexing it, then renaming it to
> original table -- is there an alternative to CLUSTER that doesn't
> impose a painful ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock on the table? We are on
> Postgres 8.2.3 and have a heavy duty table that starts showing its
> limits after a week or so. Autovacuum is on and working. FSM etc is
> fine, maintenance_work_mem is 256MB. But cluster still takes upwards
> of 30 minutes, which is unacceptable downtime for our web service.
> Thanks for any tips!

If you're seeing steady bloat then FSM isn't as fine as you think.

            regards, tom lane

Re: problems with large table

От
"Phoenix Kiula"
Дата:
> "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> writes:
> > Apart from creating a new table, indexing it, then renaming it to
> > original table -- is there an alternative to CLUSTER that doesn't
> > impose a painful ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock on the table? We are on
> > Postgres 8.2.3 and have a heavy duty table that starts showing its
> > limits after a week or so. Autovacuum is on and working. FSM etc is
> > fine, maintenance_work_mem is 256MB. But cluster still takes upwards
> > of 30 minutes, which is unacceptable downtime for our web service.
> > Thanks for any tips!
>
> If you're seeing steady bloat then FSM isn't as fine as you think.

I am not sure if there's steady bloat. Of the two databases we have,
the VACUUM ANALYZE VERBOSE shows about 133,000 pages on one and about
77,000 on the other. My max_fsm_pages is 250,000 -- well above that
total limit.

Other possibly related settings:

vacuum_cost_delay = 10
stats_start_collector = on
stats_row_level = on
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 300
autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 100
wal_buffers=64
checkpoint_segments=64
checkpoint_timeout=900

Anything wrong with these?

I tried a CLUSTER on one index and it was on for about an hour without
completion.

Re: problems with large table

От
Mike Charnoky
Дата:
Thanks, recreating the table solved my problems.  Our team is working on
implementing some performance tuning based on other recommendations from
the list (FSM, etc).

Mike