Обсуждение: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
I have a table in PG, Pulled from SQL Server using Perl DBI (w/o using
chopblanks) and have ended up with a column where the "space" is being
interpreted as a value.

eg:

"ABC " when it should be "ABC"

this is being defined  as varchar(4)

I've already pull the relevent columns with

create foo as select unique_id, rtrim(number) from org_column

I've tried to do the update using

update org_column set number = foo.number where foo.unique_id =
org_column=unique_id.

The update is taking a few hours and still hasn't ended.

I've killed it already and rolled back the changes.

what's the easiest way to update these fields?

Thanks..

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 14:13 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> I have a table in PG, Pulled from SQL Server using Perl DBI (w/o using
> chopblanks) and have ended up with a column where the "space" is being
> interpreted as a value.
>
> eg:
>
> "ABC " when it should be "ABC"
>
> this is being defined  as varchar(4)
>
> I've already pull the relevent columns with
>
> create foo as select unique_id, rtrim(number) from org_column
>
> I've tried to do the update using
>
> update org_column set number = foo.number where foo.unique_id =
> org_column=unique_id.
>
> The update is taking a few hours and still hasn't ended.
>
> I've killed it already and rolled back the changes.
>
> what's the easiest way to update these fields?
>

> Thanks..

Bad Form.. I know.. replying to my own post.. but..

I found 2 new ways to do this.

option 1
-------

create table foo as select unique_id, rtrim(number) as number from foo;
alter table add primary key...
create index...
drop org_table
alter table rename...
All this is ~10min

option 2
========
This I saw in the mysql archives (in my laptop).. when I say this I
went.. WTF? This is possible?? Dang IT!

update a set number=replace(number,'ABC ', 'ABC') where reptest like '%
ABC%';

of course this will need to parse it through like a couple of times,
unless I use some regex magic etc..

but anyway.. problem solved and using chopblanks => 1 now..

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> I found 2 new ways to do this.
>
> option 1
> -------
>
> create table foo as select unique_id, rtrim(number) as number from foo;
> alter table add primary key...
> create index...
> drop org_table
> alter table rename...
> All this is ~10min

This only works if you don't have foreign key constraints involving that
table. Otherwise you just lost your data integrity (although I expect an
error to be thrown).

> option 2
> ========
> This I saw in the mysql archives (in my laptop).. when I say this I
> went.. WTF? This is possible?? Dang IT!
>
> update a set number=replace(number,'ABC ', 'ABC') where reptest like '%
> ABC%';

Ehrm... yes, nothing special about it. Basic SQL really ;)
But shouldn't you be using trim() or rtrim() instead?:

update table set number = trim(number)

you could probably speed that up by only querying the records that need
trimming, for example:

create index tmp_idx on table(number) where number != trim(number);
analyze table;
update table set number = trim(number) where number != trim(number);

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl

magproductions b.v.

T: ++31(0)534346874
F: ++31(0)534346876
M:
I: www.magproductions.nl
A: Postbus 416
   7500 AK Enschede

// Integrate Your World //

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 04:07 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 09/06/07 01:13, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > update org_column set number = foo.number where foo.unique_id =
> > org_column=unique_id.
>
> Number?  Where does "number" come from?  Unless you've got weird
> field names, that doesn't sound like a very good name for a
> VARCHAR(4) column.

"number" is just a fictitious column name. I use sane column names of
course :-)

> > The update is taking a few hours and still hasn't ended.
> >

> Is it only *some* tuples that have the "extra space" problem?

Actually, it's all of it

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 11:08 +0200, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > I found 2 new ways to do this.
> >
> > option 1
> > -------
> >
> > create table foo as select unique_id, rtrim(number) as number from foo;
> > alter table add primary key...
> > create index...
> > drop org_table
> > alter table rename...
> > All this is ~10min
>
> This only works if you don't have foreign key constraints involving that
> table. Otherwise you just lost your data integrity (although I expect an
> error to be thrown).

Got it.. Don't use FK's so.. I'm safe (for now)

> > option 2
> > ========
> > This I saw in the mysql archives (in my laptop).. when I say this I
> > went.. WTF? This is possible?? Dang IT!
> >
> > update a set number=replace(number,'ABC ', 'ABC') where reptest like '%
> > ABC%';
>
> Ehrm... yes, nothing special about it. Basic SQL really ;)
Hmm.. I feel the salt..

> But shouldn't you be using trim() or rtrim() instead?:
>
> update table set number = trim(number)

Hmm.. didn't think of that. Next time I guess. (in all honestly, I
didn't know you can update it on the same process/column/table. I was
dumping it to a separate table and updating it..

Now I know..

> you could probably speed that up by only querying the records that need
> trimming, for example:
>
> create index tmp_idx on table(number) where number != trim(number);
> analyze table;
> update table set number = trim(number) where number != trim(number);

all fields in that column is affected. I have "     " (5 spaces) instead
of nulls

Thanks for the pointers..

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 04:47 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Maybe there's an English language "issue", or maybe I'm just
> excessively picky, but using "number" in this context is confusing.

My Bad.. hehe..

> Then I agree with Alban:
>   update table set number = trim(number);
> or, if you need the leading spaces:
>   update table set number = rtrim(number)
>
> Then:
>   update table set number = NULL where number = '';

Dag it.. I wish I didn't live on the other end of the TimeZone and
gotten this answer before I went the "hard way"

oh well.. lesson learned and that's the positive spin on it right?

Thanks a bunch guys..

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 04:47 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Maybe there's an English language "issue", or maybe I'm just
>> excessively picky, but using "number" in this context is confusing.
>
> My Bad.. hehe..
>
>> Then I agree with Alban:
>>   update table set number = trim(number);
>> or, if you need the leading spaces:
>>   update table set number = rtrim(number)
>>
>> Then:
>>   update table set number = NULL where number = '';
>
> Dag it.. I wish I didn't live on the other end of the TimeZone and
> gotten this answer before I went the "hard way"
>
> oh well.. lesson learned and that's the positive spin on it right?
>
> Thanks a bunch guys..

Two other tips for bulk-updates like this:
1. Do as many columns in one go as you can
2. Only update rows that need updating

When you've finished, a CLUSTER/VACUUM FULL can be useful too.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:08:02AM +0200, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> create index tmp_idx on table(number) where number != trim(number);
> analyze table;
> update table set number = trim(number) where number != trim(number);

dont use !=. use <>. != does something different, and in fact it is
not a real operator - it's just 2 operators bundled together.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Nis Jørgensen
Дата:
hubert depesz lubaczewski skrev:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:08:02AM +0200, Alban Hertroys wrote:
>> create index tmp_idx on table(number) where number != trim(number);
>> analyze table;
>> update table set number = trim(number) where number != trim(number);
>
> dont use !=. use <>. != does something different, and in fact it is
> not a real operator - it's just 2 operators bundled together.

Rubbish. From the documentation:

"The != operator is converted to <> in the parser stage. It is not
possible to implement != and <> operators that do different things."

Nis

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 01:39:51PM +0200, Nis Jørgensen wrote:
> Rubbish. From the documentation:

hmm .. i'm sorry - i was *sure* about it because we were bitten by
something like this lately - apparently it was similiar but not the
same.

sorry again for misinformation.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)
http://www.depesz.com/ - blog dla ciebie (i moje CV)

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
At 06:32 PM 9/6/2007, Richard Huxton wrote:

>Two other tips for bulk-updates like this:
>1. Do as many columns in one go as you can
>2. Only update rows that need updating
>
>When you've finished, a CLUSTER/VACUUM FULL can be useful too.

How about: make sure you have enough free space because the table
will effectively double in size? Assuming it hasn't already been
updated a few times without vacuuming :).

That's still true right?

It is safe to assume that postgresql will still handle the out of
disk space scenario gracefully - no data corruption - the transaction
fails and that's it?

Regards,
Link.

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> At 06:32 PM 9/6/2007, Richard Huxton wrote:
>
>> Two other tips for bulk-updates like this:
>> 1. Do as many columns in one go as you can
>> 2. Only update rows that need updating
>>
>> When you've finished, a CLUSTER/VACUUM FULL can be useful too.
>
> How about: make sure you have enough free space because the table will
> effectively double in size? Assuming it hasn't already been updated a few
> times without vacuuming :).

It is true for CLUSTER, but not for VACUUM FULL.

Re: Need suggestion on how best to update 3 million rows

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> > At 06:32 PM 9/6/2007, Richard Huxton wrote:
> >
> >> Two other tips for bulk-updates like this:
> >> 1. Do as many columns in one go as you can
> >> 2. Only update rows that need updating
> >>
> >> When you've finished, a CLUSTER/VACUUM FULL can be useful too.
> >
> > How about: make sure you have enough free space because the table will
> > effectively double in size? Assuming it hasn't already been updated a few
> > times without vacuuming :).
>
> It is true for CLUSTER, but not for VACUUM FULL.

Doh, sorry, you were referring to double the space during the UPDATE.