Обсуждение: Postgres, fsync and RAID controller with 100M of internal cache & dedicated battery

Postgres, fsync and RAID controller with 100M of internal cache & dedicated battery

От
"Dmitry Koterov"
Дата:
Hello.

We are trying to use HP CISS contoller (Smart Array E200i) with internal cache memory (100M for write caching, built-in power battery) together with Postgres. Typically under a heavy load Postgres runs checkpoint fsync very slow:

checkpoint buffers dirty=16.8 MB (3.3%) write=24.3 ms sync=6243.3 ms

(If we turn off fsync, the speed increases greatly, fsync=0.) And unfortunately it affects all the database productivity during the checkpoint.
Here is the timing (in milliseconds) of a test transaction called multiple times concurrently (6 threads) with fsync turned ON:

40.4
44.4
37.4
44.0
42.7
41.8
218.1
254.2
101.0
42.2
42.4
41.0
39.5

(you may see a significant slowdown during a checkpoint).
Here is dstat disc write activity log for that test:

   0
   0
 284k
   0
   0
  84k
   0
   0
 276k
  37M
  208k
   0
   0
   0
   0
 156k
   0
   0
   0
   0

I have written a small perl script to check how slow is fsync for Smart Array E200i controller. Theoretically, because of write cache, fsync MUST cost nothing, but in practice it is not true:

# cd /mnt/c0d1p1/
# perl -e 'use Time::HiRes qw(gettimeofday tv_interval); system "sync"; open F, ">bulk"; print F ("a" x (1024 * 1024 * 20)); close F; $t0=[gettimeofday]; system "sync"; print ">>> fsync took " . tv_interval ( $t0, [gettimeofday]) . " s\n"; unlink "bulk"'
>>> fsync took 0.247033 s

You see, 50M block was fsynced for 0.25 s.

The question is: how to solve this problem and make fsync run with no delay. Seems to me that controller's internal write cache is not used (strange, because all configuration options are fine), but how to check it? Or, maybe, there is another side-effect?

Re: Postgres, fsync and RAID controller with 100M of internal cache & dedicated battery

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 8/22/07, Dmitry Koterov <dmitry@koterov.ru> wrote:
> Hello.
> You see, 50M block was fsynced for 0.25 s.
>
> The question is: how to solve this problem and make fsync run with no delay.
> Seems to me that controller's internal write cache is not used (strange,
> because all configuration options are fine), but how to check it? Or, maybe,
> there is another side-effect?

I would suggest that either the controller is NOT configured fine, OR
there's some bug in how the OS is interacting with it.

What options are there for this RAID controller, and what are they set
to?  Specifically, the writeback / writethru type options for the
cache, and it might be if it doesn't preoprly detect a battery backup
module it refuses to go into writeback mode.

Postgres, fsync and RAID controller with 100M of internal cache & dedicated battery

От
"Dmitry Koterov"
Дата:
And here are results of built-in Postgres test script:

Simple write timing:
        write                    0.006355

Compare fsync times on write() and non-write() descriptor:
(If the times are similar, fsync() can sync data written
 on a different descriptor.)
        write, fsync, close      0.233793
        write, close, fsync      0.227444

Compare one o_sync write to two:
        one 16k o_sync write     0.297093
        two 8k o_sync writes     0.402803

Compare file sync methods with one 8k write:

        (o_dsync unavailable)
        write, fdatasync         0.228725
        write, fsync,            0.223302

Compare file sync methods with 2 8k writes:
        (o_dsync unavailable)
        open o_sync, write       0.414954
        write, fdatasync         0.335280
        write, fsync,            0.327195

(Also, I tried to manually specify open_sync method in postgresql.conf, but after that Postgres database had completely crashed. :-)