Обсуждение: What is "Postgresql Hot"?

What is "Postgresql Hot"?

От
"Ericson Smith"
Дата:
I've not been following up on the list for some time now, and recently
re-subscribed. There is some talk of "Postgresql Hot" which appears to
be a hot backup solution that may be included in 8.3

* How is it different from the current Perl script out there?
* Can't pg_dump already give us hot backups?

Regards
- Ericson Smith
Developer
http://www.funadvice.com

Re: What is "Postgresql Hot"?

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
esconsult1@gmail.com ("Ericson Smith") writes:
> I've not been following up on the list for some time now, and recently
> re-subscribed. There is some talk of "Postgresql Hot" which appears to
> be a hot backup solution that may be included in 8.3
>
> * How is it different from the current Perl script out there?
> * Can't pg_dump already give us hot backups?

Probably what is referred to is this...
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-11/msg00059.php>

The "Heap Overflow Tuple" patch.

This is intended to improve update behaviour on heavily updated
tables.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/

Re: What is "Postgresql Hot"?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Ericson Smith wrote:
> I've not been following up on the list for some time now, and recently
> re-subscribed. There is some talk of "Postgresql Hot" which appears to
> be a hot backup solution that may be included in 8.3

What makes you think it's a hot backup utility? HOT is a technique for
minimizing (or eliminating) index tuple rewrites for frequently updated
tables, thus dramatically reducing IO (and consequently increasing
performance) in the right circumstances.

> * How is it different from the current Perl script out there?

I'm not aware of an existing perl script.

> * Can't pg_dump already give us hot backups?

Yes, it can.

Regards, Dave.

Re: What is "Postgresql Hot"?

От
"Ericson Smith"
Дата:
I guess I was confused by this page during my initial google search:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pghotbackup/

There is a PgFoundry project for Postgresql Hot Backup, and the
initial google search pointed to various hot backup projects. In the
above URL there is a perl script relating to hot backups.
http://www.google.com/search?q=postgresql+hot

So yeah, I apologize for the confusion.

- Ericson Smith
Developer
http://www.funadvice.com

On 5/21/07, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Ericson Smith wrote:
> > I've not been following up on the list for some time now, and recently
> > re-subscribed. There is some talk of "Postgresql Hot" which appears to
> > be a hot backup solution that may be included in 8.3
>
> What makes you think it's a hot backup utility? HOT is a technique for
> minimizing (or eliminating) index tuple rewrites for frequently updated
> tables, thus dramatically reducing IO (and consequently increasing
> performance) in the right circumstances.
>
> > * How is it different from the current Perl script out there?
>
> I'm not aware of an existing perl script.
>
> > * Can't pg_dump already give us hot backups?
>
> Yes, it can.
>
> Regards, Dave.

Re: What is "Postgresql Hot"?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Ericson Smith wrote:
> I guess I was confused by this page during my initial google search:
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pghotbackup/
>
> There is a PgFoundry project for Postgresql Hot Backup, and the
> initial google search pointed to various hot backup projects. In the
> above URL there is a perl script relating to hot backups.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=postgresql+hot

Oh - wasn't aware of that. The HOT that you might see in 8.3 is the one
I (and I see Chris) has described - not that project.

Regards, Dave