Обсуждение: pg migrator

pg migrator

От
"Denis Lussier"
Дата:
Korry Douglas has an EDB sponsored project called pg_migrator on
pgfoundry.   I believe it works for upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2 except
for tables that use the ip address datatype.  It works by just
replacing the 8.1 system catalogs with the 8.2 system catalogs.  I
believe the on-disk images for 8.1 and 8.2 are the same except for the
ip address field.

--Luss
  http://www.enterpisedb.com

On 1/29/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 15:51:54 -0800,
>   Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> >
> > >It was *discussed*. 8.1 to 8.2 (as does any move from M.x to M.y where x ­
> > >y) requires a dump and reload.
> >
> > Michael,
> >
> >   That's what I thought. However, it never hurts to ask. :-)
>
> I figured that mentionioning you need a tool that doesn't exist would make
> it clear that this was proposed for the future and not current reality.

>        match

Re: pg migrator

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Denis Lussier wrote:

> Korry Douglas has an EDB sponsored project called pg_migrator on
> pgfoundry.  I believe it works for upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2 except for
> tables that use the ip address datatype.  It works by just replacing the
> 8.1 system catalogs with the 8.2 system catalogs.  I believe the on-disk
> images for 8.1 and 8.2 are the same except for the ip address field.

Denis,

   I downloaded the tarball. It's interesting that the search engine on the
pgfoundary part of the site could not find it. I used Google, and it was the
top hit. Once I knew where to look I could find it on the site, but only
manually moving through the pages.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: pg migrator

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Erik Jones wrote:

> I had the same problem:  searching for 'pg_migrator' found nothing.
> However, searching for 'migrator' got it.

   A-ha! I didn't try that, just fell back to Google. :-)

Thanks, Erik,

Rich

Re: pg migrator

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Denis Lussier wrote:
>
>> Korry Douglas has an EDB sponsored project called pg_migrator on
>> pgfoundry.  I believe it works for upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2 except for
>> tables that use the ip address datatype.  It works by just replacing the
>> 8.1 system catalogs with the 8.2 system catalogs.  I believe the on-disk
>> images for 8.1 and 8.2 are the same except for the ip address field.
>
> Denis,
>
>   I downloaded the tarball. It's interesting that the search engine on
> the
> pgfoundary part of the site could not find it. I used Google, and it
> was the
> top hit. Once I knew where to look I could find it on the site, but only
> manually moving through the pages.
I had the same problem:  searching for 'pg_migrator' found nothing.
However, searching for 'migrator' got it.

Re: pg migrator

От
Дата:
>   I downloaded the tarball. It's interesting that the search engine on
> the
> pgfoundary part of the site could not find it. I used Google, and it
> was the
> top hit. Once I knew where to look I could find it on the site, but only
> manually moving through the pages.
I had the same problem:  searching for 'pg_migrator' found nothing.
However, searching for 'migrator' got it.

The software that runs pgFoundry (GForge) has a strange rule that states that project names cannot include an underscore.

So, pgFoundry stores this project under the name "pg-migrator".  If you search for that (a dash instead of an underscore), the pgFoundry search engine can find it.

Of course, as Erik points out, a search for "migrator" works just as well (thanks Erik).

            -- Korry

--
  Korry Douglas    korryd@enterprisedb.com
  EnterpriseDB      http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pg migrator

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
korryd@enterprisedb.com wrote:
>> >   I downloaded the tarball. It's interesting that the search engine on
>> > the
>> > pgfoundary part of the site could not find it. I used Google, and it
>> > was the
>> > top hit. Once I knew where to look I could find it on the site, but only
>> > manually moving through the pages.
>> I had the same problem:  searching for 'pg_migrator' found nothing.
>> However, searching for 'migrator' got it.
>>

> The software that runs pgFoundry (GForge) has a strange rule that
> states that project names cannot include an underscore.
>
> So, pgFoundry stores this project under the name "pg-migrator".  If
> you search for that (a dash instead of an underscore), the pgFoundry
> search engine can find it.
>
> Of course, as Erik points out, a search for "migrator" works just as
> well (thanks Erik).
>
>             -- Korry
No problem!  Thanks for the enlightenment as to the why...