Обсуждение: Migrate 8.0 dump to 7.4

Migrate 8.0 dump to 7.4

От
mbneto
Дата:
Hi,

I have a dumpall file generated from a 8.0 version that I need to import back to a 7.4 server.

Is there a way to do that?

a psql -f db.out template1 gives me
psql:/tmp/db.out:687: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:697: ERROR:  syntax error next  "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:707: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:717: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:727: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:737: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:747: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:757: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:767: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:777: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:787: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
ALTER TABLE
psql:/tmp/db.out:797: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7

Any idea?

Re: Migrate 8.0 dump to 7.4

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
On 1/21/07, mbneto <mbneto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a dumpall file generated from a 8.0 version that I need to import
> back to a 7.4 server.
>
> Is there a way to do that?
>
> a psql -f db.out template1 gives me
> psql:/tmp/db.out:687: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7

you must edit your script backup manually in order to match the syntax
to that allowed in 7.4

in this case you can go to the line 687 (the line is indicated in
psql:/tmp/db.out:line) and fix that syntax... execute again and fix
the next message and so on ( a good idea is to put BEGIN; at the
beginning of the script and ROLLBACK at the end until you fix all
messages)...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."
                                       Richard Cook

Re: Migrate 8.0 dump to 7.4

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:27:41PM -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On 1/21/07, mbneto <mbneto@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a dumpall file generated from a 8.0 version that I need to import
> >back to a 7.4 server.
> >
> >Is there a way to do that?
> >
> >a psql -f db.out template1 gives me
> >psql:/tmp/db.out:687: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
>
> you must edit your script backup manually in order to match the syntax
> to that allowed in 7.4
>
> in this case you can go to the line 687 (the line is indicated in
> psql:/tmp/db.out:line) and fix that syntax... execute again and fix
> the next message and so on ( a good idea is to put BEGIN; at the
> beginning of the script and ROLLBACK at the end until you fix all
> messages)...

Trying a dump from the 7.4 version of pg_dump might also work... just
make sure to test it.

Re: Migrate 8.0 dump to 7.4

От
"Jan Muszynski"
Дата:
On 21 Jan 2007 at 15:11, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:27:41PM -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> > On 1/21/07, mbneto <mbneto@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I have a dumpall file generated from a 8.0 version that I need to import
> > >back to a 7.4 server.
> > >
> > >Is there a way to do that?
> > >
> > >a psql -f db.out template1 gives me
> > >psql:/tmp/db.out:687: ERROR:  syntax error next "INDEX" at character 7
> >
> > you must edit your script backup manually in order to match the syntax
> > to that allowed in 7.4
> >
> > in this case you can go to the line 687 (the line is indicated in
> > psql:/tmp/db.out:line) and fix that syntax... execute again and fix
> > the next message and so on ( a good idea is to put BEGIN; at the
> > beginning of the script and ROLLBACK at the end until you fix all
> > messages)...
>
> Trying a dump from the 7.4 version of pg_dump might also work... just
> make sure to test it.

One more option that may work. Instead of using a dumpall do a schema-only
dump from 8.0. Apply that to the 7.4 version, fixing the script as needed.

Then do a data-only dump from 8.0 and restore into the empty DB on 7.4.

The schema-only file will be much smaller and easier to work with than a
dumpall file, and the data-only portion should work fine even when
regressing.

If the 7.4 dump program works against the 8.0 DB then that method should
be fine as well.