Обсуждение: Status of SSL encryption in ODBC driver

Status of SSL encryption in ODBC driver

От
John McCawley
Дата:
I did a few searches on the mailing list, and checked the documentation
of psqlODBC, and I'm confused as to the current status of SSL support in
psqlODBC.  From the mailing list, it appears that the Open Source driver
does not fully support SSL, and I would need to use the commercial ODBC
driver from commandprompt if I needed SSL support.

In the FAQ, I see an indication that encrypted passwords are supported,
but encrypted data is not.  But then there is a note "*Note:* As of
version 08.01.002, psqlODBC now supports SSL encrypted connections."

Does this mean that SSL encryption is now fully supported?

John

Re: Status of SSL encryption in ODBC driver

От
Dave Page
Дата:
John McCawley wrote:
> I did a few searches on the mailing list, and checked the documentation
> of psqlODBC, and I'm confused as to the current status of SSL support in
> psqlODBC.  From the mailing list, it appears that the Open Source driver
> does not fully support SSL, and I would need to use the commercial ODBC
> driver from commandprompt if I needed SSL support.
>
> In the FAQ, I see an indication that encrypted passwords are supported,
> but encrypted data is not.  But then there is a note "*Note:* As of
> version 08.01.002, psqlODBC now supports SSL encrypted connections."
>
> Does this mean that SSL encryption is now fully supported?

Yes, as well as Kerberos, and pgpass files (though the SSL option must
be set to something other than disabled for those to work).

Regards, Dave.

Re: Status of SSL encryption in ODBC driver

От
John McCawley
Дата:
Where would I go to find the connection string settings to turn it on? I
have dug around quite a bit, and tried everything I have found, but
nothing seems to work, and the docs included with the driver don't seem
to cover it.

Dave Page wrote:

> John McCawley wrote:
>
>> I did a few searches on the mailing list, and checked the
>> documentation of psqlODBC, and I'm confused as to the current status
>> of SSL support in psqlODBC.  From the mailing list, it appears that
>> the Open Source driver does not fully support SSL, and I would need
>> to use the commercial ODBC driver from commandprompt if I needed SSL
>> support.
>>
>> In the FAQ, I see an indication that encrypted passwords are
>> supported, but encrypted data is not.  But then there is a note
>> "*Note:* As of version 08.01.002, psqlODBC now supports SSL encrypted
>> connections."
>>
>> Does this mean that SSL encryption is now fully supported?
>

> Yes, as well as Kerberos, and pgpass files (though the SSL option must
> be set to something other than disabled for those to work).
>
> Regards, Dave.

Re: Status of SSL encryption in ODBC driver

От
Dave Page
Дата:
John McCawley wrote:
> Where would I go to find the connection string settings to turn it on? I
> have dug around quite a bit, and tried everything I have found, but
> nothing seems to work, and the docs included with the driver don't seem
> to cover it.

The easy method is to setup a DSN as required, then connect it with
logging enable using any old ODBC app and pull the connection string
from the logfile.

IIRC though, you need one of:

sslmode=disable
sslmode=allow
sslmode=prefer
sslmode=require

If you use the first, libpq will not be loaded which means that the
other benefits of it (the kerberos support, pgpass.txt etc) will also
not be available. The reason it is done this way is to allow the driver
to be distributed as a single DLL for those that require the most basic
setup. In all other cases, libpq (and it's myriad of supporting DLLs)
will be dynamically loaded and used for connection setup.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Status of SSL encryption in ODBC driver

От
John McCawley
Дата:
sslmode=require did the trick.  Thanks!