Обсуждение: benchmark suite

benchmark suite

От
km
Дата:
Hi all,

Is there any good benchmark suite for testing postgresql performance?
i tried to work with pgbench but found pgbench source (v 8.0.x and 7.4.x) but couldnt compile with gcc ($gcc -o pgbench
pgbench.8.0.x.c)
postgres 8.1.4 is on AMDx86_64 platform.

regards,
KM

Re: benchmark suite

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 07:27:49PM +0530, km wrote:
> Is there any good benchmark suite for testing postgresql performance?

I suggest looking at the excellent software provided by OSDL.

http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/osdl_database_test_suite/

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
        --George Orwell

Re: benchmark suite

От
km
Дата:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 07:27:49PM +0530, km wrote:
> > Is there any good benchmark suite for testing postgresql performance?
>
> I suggest looking at the excellent software provided by OSDL.
>
> http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/osdl_database_test_suite/

ya i have tried the dbt1 (database test 1 - which is what i require) from the ODSL site but couldnt compile as i got
theerror:

cache.c: In function `main':
cache.c:134: error: `sname2' undeclared (first use in this function)
cache.c:134: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
cache.c:134: error: for each function it appears in.)
cache.c:146: error: `dbname2' undeclared (first use in this function)
cache.c:150: error: `uname2' undeclared (first use in this function)
cache.c:154: error: `auth2' undeclared (first use in this function)
cache.c: In function `warm_up_cache':
cache.c:421: error: storage size of 'dbc' isn't known
cache.c:421: warning: unused variable `dbc'
cache.c: In function `usage':
cache.c:730: error: `uname2' undeclared (first use in this function)
cache.c:730: error: `auth2' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [cache.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/osdl/dbt1-v2.1/cache'
make: *** [cache_exe] Error 2

any ideas how to circumvent the problem?

regards,
KM
--

Re: benchmark suite

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 07:58:01PM +0530, km wrote:

> ya i have tried the dbt1 (database test 1 - which is what i
> require) from the ODSL site but couldnt compile as i got the error:
>
> cache.c: In function `main':
> cache.c:134: error: `sname2' undeclared (first use in this function)

Is this the very first indication of something being wrong?  It sure
looks to me like you're missing some headers.

--
Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
If they don't do anything, we don't need their acronym.

Re: benchmark suite

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
Le vendredi 29 septembre 2006 15:54, Andrew Sullivan a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 07:27:49PM +0530, km wrote:
> > Is there any good benchmark suite for testing postgresql performance?
> I suggest looking at the excellent software provided by OSDL.
> http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/osdl_database_test_suite/

You could also take a look at tsung software :
  http://tsung.erlang-projects.org/

This distributed load testing tool supports pgsql protocol.
You can define some sessions using transactions, requests and think-time, mix
them (preferring session A 80% of the time for example), and then configure
it to launch as many users as wanted on some interval (1 user a second, for
example), during some arrival phases. All this in a XML file.

It supports several client machines participating on the same benchmark test,
and produces some graphic reports to analyze results thereafter.
It also comes with a good documentation.

I've beginning to work on dbt2 testing part, re-using its database schema and
database populating code from Mark Wong (OSDL). The tricky part here is
porting SQL input parameters generator, and trying to have comparable test
behavior.
I hope to get some usefull results to show soon, including comparing 8.1 and
8.2 versions, for some acceptable value of soon :)

Dimitri Fontaine
http://www.dalibo.com/

Вложения

Re: benchmark suite

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
I find the following comment in dbt2 users guide: "The test kit
currently only supports SAP DB but work is currently being done to
support PostgresSQL."  In the source tree of dbt2-0.39 has the file
./README-POSTGRESQL.  Is this the entry point doc that a postgresql
user should start with to begin to use this product?

pgbench-1.1 seems to work with some tweaks to Makefile.  Can anyone
attest to the value?

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 09:54:09AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 07:27:49PM +0530, km wrote:
> > Is there any good benchmark suite for testing postgresql performance?
>
> I suggest looking at the excellent software provided by OSDL.
>
> http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/kernel_testing/osdl_database_test_suite/

Re: benchmark suite

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:57:08PM -0400, Ray Stell wrote:

> I find the following comment in dbt2 users guide: "The test kit
> currently only supports SAP DB but work is currently being done to
> support PostgresSQL."  In the source tree of dbt2-0.39 has the file
> ./README-POSTGRESQL.  Is this the entry point doc that a postgresql
> user should start with to begin to use this product?

I'm pretty sure that the docs are what are out of date here, if for
no other reason that this is in the release notes:

    v0.38

    - Various fixes with all scripts.
    - Improved configure.ac to use pg_config for PostgreSQL.
    - Updated PostgreSQL scripts to work with PostgreSQL 8.1 and newer.
    - Updated PostgreSQL stored functions for 8.1 and newer.

I'd give it a whirl and see what happens; I haven't tried that one in
a while.  People who know may more about it than I do are around
here, though, and probably can give you a better answer.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin