Обсуждение: Postgresql reindex hangs when table is being updated

Postgresql reindex hangs when table is being updated

От
"deep ..."
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm running a web application supported by postgresql 7.4 on an unix
system. The management part of application requires reindexing of
tables. I see that whenever reindexing runs with the while the table
is getting updated/inserted into, reindexing hangs. I understand this
is because reindexing requires an exclusive lock on the table.

Is there a possible workaround? What else can I do other than stopping
the insertion/update while reindex runs?

Thanks,
Walter

Re: Postgresql reindex hangs when table is being updated

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 23:31, deep ... wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a web application supported by postgresql 7.4 on an unix
> system. The management part of application requires reindexing of
> tables. I see that whenever reindexing runs with the while the table
> is getting updated/inserted into, reindexing hangs. I understand this
> is because reindexing requires an exclusive lock on the table.
>

> Is there a possible workaround? What else can I do other than stopping
> the insertion/update while reindex runs?

What problem are you trying to solve?  Perhaps something other than
reindex might work.