Postgresql reindex hangs when table is being updated

От deep ...
Тема Postgresql reindex hangs when table is being updated
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

I'm running a web application supported by postgresql 7.4 on an unix
system. The management part of application requires reindexing of
tables. I see that whenever reindexing runs with the while the table
is getting updated/inserted into, reindexing hangs. I understand this
is because reindexing requires an exclusive lock on the table.

Is there a possible workaround? What else can I do other than stopping
the insertion/update while reindex runs?

Thanks,
Walter