Обсуждение: Using currval() in an insert statement...

Using currval() in an insert statement...

От
"Redefined Horizons"
Дата:
I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the currval() function for
sequences in an INSERT statement. I did some searching online, but
couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have two Schemas in my Database:

metadata
geometry

I have a table named "metadata_geometries" in the metadata schema.
I have a table named "geometry_polaris_numbers" in the geometry schema.

Both tables have bigserial columns set up as primary keys.

There is a one-to-one relationship between records in the
metadata_geometries table and the geometry.polaris_numbers table.

Here is what I'd like to do in my query:

Insert a value into the "metadata.metadata_geometries" table.

Select the value just inserted in to the primary key column,
"pk_dbuid" of that table, and insert it into the
"geometry.polaris_numbers" table in the "metadata" column.

I had the query set up like this:

INSERT INTO metadata.metadata_geometries (value)
VALUES ('This is a test.');

INSERT INTO geometry.polaris_numbers (pnuid, number_of_digits, error,
value, metadata)
VALUES (2305, 7, 1000000, 1000, currval(metadata.metadata_geometries.pk_dbuid);

However, when I try and execute the query I get the following error message:

ERROR: Missing FROM-clause for table "metadata_geometries"

I know it is the second INSERT statement in this query that is giving
me problems, because the first statement executes by itself without a
hitch.

I think I have the syntax for the currval() call incorrect.

Can anyone help me out with the correct syntax?

Thanks,

Scott Huey

Re: Using currval() in an insert statement...

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 10:45 -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the currval() function for
> sequences in an INSERT statement. I did some searching online, but
> couldn't find what I was looking for.
>
> I have two Schemas in my Database:
>
> metadata
> geometry
>
> I have a table named "metadata_geometries" in the metadata schema.
> I have a table named "geometry_polaris_numbers" in the geometry schema.
>
> Both tables have bigserial columns set up as primary keys.
>
> There is a one-to-one relationship between records in the
> metadata_geometries table and the geometry.polaris_numbers table.
>
> Here is what I'd like to do in my query:
>
> Insert a value into the "metadata.metadata_geometries" table.
>
> Select the value just inserted in to the primary key column,
> "pk_dbuid" of that table, and insert it into the
> "geometry.polaris_numbers" table in the "metadata" column.
>
> I had the query set up like this:
>
> INSERT INTO metadata.metadata_geometries (value)
> VALUES ('This is a test.');
>
> INSERT INTO geometry.polaris_numbers (pnuid, number_of_digits, error,
> value, metadata)
> VALUES (2305, 7, 1000000, 1000, currval(metadata.metadata_geometries.pk_dbuid);
>
> However, when I try and execute the query I get the following error message:
>
> ERROR: Missing FROM-clause for table "metadata_geometries"

You need to give currval the name of the sequence that is being
incremented.

Re: Using currval() in an insert statement...

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
Try it out the following way: