Using currval() in an insert statement...

От Redefined Horizons
Тема Using currval() in an insert statement...
Дата
Re: Using currval() in an insert statement...  ("Shoaib Mir" <shoaibmir@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the currval() function for
sequences in an INSERT statement. I did some searching online, but
couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have two Schemas in my Database:

metadata
geometry

I have a table named "metadata_geometries" in the metadata schema.
I have a table named "geometry_polaris_numbers" in the geometry schema.

Both tables have bigserial columns set up as primary keys.

There is a one-to-one relationship between records in the
metadata_geometries table and the geometry.polaris_numbers table.

Here is what I'd like to do in my query:

Insert a value into the "metadata.metadata_geometries" table.

Select the value just inserted in to the primary key column,
"pk_dbuid" of that table, and insert it into the
"geometry.polaris_numbers" table in the "metadata" column.

I had the query set up like this:

INSERT INTO metadata.metadata_geometries (value)
VALUES ('This is a test.');

INSERT INTO geometry.polaris_numbers (pnuid, number_of_digits, error,
value, metadata)
VALUES (2305, 7, 1000000, 1000, currval(metadata.metadata_geometries.pk_dbuid);

However, when I try and execute the query I get the following error message:

ERROR: Missing FROM-clause for table "metadata_geometries"

I know it is the second INSERT statement in this query that is giving
me problems, because the first statement executes by itself without a
hitch.

I think I have the syntax for the currval() call incorrect.

Can anyone help me out with the correct syntax?

Thanks,

Scott Huey