Обсуждение: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

Dynamic table with variable number of columns

От
nkunkov@optonline.net
Дата:
Hello,
I'm a pgsql novice and here is what I'm trying to do:
1.    I need to create a dynamic table with the column names fetched
from the database using a select statement from some other table.  Is
it possible?  Could you point me to a simple example on how to do it?
2.   I would like to compare the list of coulmn names which are values
fetched from some table with the column names of the existing table.
If one of the names doesn't exist as a column name of my table, I'd
like to dynamically alter the table and add a coulmn with the name just
fetched from the DB.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
NK

Re: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:05:18 -0700,
  nkunkov@optonline.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm a pgsql novice and here is what I'm trying to do:
> 1.    I need to create a dynamic table with the column names fetched
> from the database using a select statement from some other table.  Is
> it possible?  Could you point me to a simple example on how to do it?
> 2.   I would like to compare the list of coulmn names which are values
> fetched from some table with the column names of the existing table.
> If one of the names doesn't exist as a column name of my table, I'd
> like to dynamically alter the table and add a coulmn with the name just
> fetched from the DB.
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> NK

Information on the column names of tables in the database are available
from the information schema and the catlog tables. You can find more about this
in the documentation:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/information-schema.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/catalogs.html

You might get better help by describing the actual problem you are trying to
solve rather than asking for help with a particular approach to solving that
problem. The approach you are trying seems to be seriously broken and it
would probably be a good idea to consider other approaches.

Re: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

От
nkunkov@optonline.net
Дата:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:05:18 -0700,
>   nkunkov@optonline.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm a pgsql novice and here is what I'm trying to do:
> > 1.    I need to create a dynamic table with the column names fetched
> > from the database using a select statement from some other table.  Is
> > it possible?  Could you point me to a simple example on how to do it?
> > 2.   I would like to compare the list of coulmn names which are values
> > fetched from some table with the column names of the existing table.
> > If one of the names doesn't exist as a column name of my table, I'd
> > like to dynamically alter the table and add a coulmn with the name just
> > fetched from the DB.
> > Your help is greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > NK
>
> Information on the column names of tables in the database are available
> from the information schema and the catlog tables. You can find more about this
> in the documentation:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/information-schema.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/catalogs.html
>
> You might get better help by describing the actual problem you are trying to
> solve rather than asking for help with a particular approach to solving that
> problem. The approach you are trying seems to be seriously broken and it
> would probably be a good idea to consider other approaches.

Thank you for the suggestions.
I will try to describe the problem better.
I have two problems to solve.  First one is that I have to transpose a
table.
I have table A that looks like this:
date          product  price description
1/1/2006   prod1      1.00  some product
1/1/2006   prod2      3.00  other product

I need to transpose this table to create table B
date         prod1    prod2
1/1/2006   1.00      3.00

I think I can use EXECUTE statement and build the table dynamically by
using the result of the select statement for column names. Would that
be the right approach?  Are there good examples somewhere on how to
implement this?

My second problem, is that after creating the above transposed table, I
will be inserting more rows to it from table A and i might have more
products too.  That means I will have to compare the value of product
from table A with the column names of table B and alter the table
accordingly.  To compare coulmn names with the value of product in
table A I think I can use pg_attribute function.  Would that be a right
way to go?

Thanks for your help.
NK

Re: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

От
Thomas Burdairon
Дата:
if i understand well you need to have an history for your products.
i would have a table B with
date           products            price
1/1/2006     prod1                 1.0
1/1/2006     prod2                 3.0

or replace prod_name py product_id, ...

Thomas

[...]

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:08:15 -0700,
  nkunkov@optonline.net wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestions.
> I will try to describe the problem better.
> I have two problems to solve.  First one is that I have to transpose a
> table.
> I have table A that looks like this:
> date          product  price description
> 1/1/2006   prod1      1.00  some product
> 1/1/2006   prod2      3.00  other product
>
> I need to transpose this table to create table B
> date         prod1    prod2
> 1/1/2006   1.00      3.00
>
> I think I can use EXECUTE statement and build the table dynamically by
> using the result of the select statement for column names. Would that
> be the right approach?  Are there good examples somewhere on how to
> implement this?

The crosstabs contrib module can transpose tables for you.

> My second problem, is that after creating the above transposed table, I
> will be inserting more rows to it from table A and i might have more
> products too.  That means I will have to compare the value of product
> from table A with the column names of table B and alter the table
> accordingly.  To compare coulmn names with the value of product in
> table A I think I can use pg_attribute function.  Would that be a right
> way to go?

I don't think that will work very well. I expect that adding data to the
original tables and retransposing when you need reports would be a better
way to go.

Changing table definitions on the fly is going to be very costly and will
break concurrent access.

Re: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

От
nkunkov@optonline.net
Дата:
Hi Thomas,

No I actually need the product name (prod1, prod2....) to become column
headings, which is effectively transposing the table.

Thanks.

NK

Thomas Burdairon wrote:
> [...]

> i would have a table B with
> date           products            price
> 1/1/2006     prod1                 1.0
> 1/1/2006     prod2                 3.0
>
> or replace prod_name py product_id, ...
>
> Thomas
>
> On Jul 12, 2006, at 16:08, nkunkov@optonline.net wrote:
>

> > Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> fetched>>> from the database using a select statement from some
> other
> do
> are
> table.>>> If one of the names doesn't exist as a column name of my
> table, I'd
> >>
> >> Information on the column names of tables in the database are
> >> available
> >> from the information schema and the catlog tables. You can find
>
> >> more about this
> >> in the documentation:
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/information-schema.html
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/catalogs.html
> >>
> >> You might get better help by describing the actual problem you
> are
> >> trying to
> >> solve rather than asking for help with a particular approach to
>
> >> solving that
> >> problem. The approach you are trying seems to be seriously
> broken
> >> and it
> >> would probably be a good idea to consider other approaches.

> > Thank you for the suggestions.
> > I will try to describe the problem better.
> > I have two problems to solve.  First one is that I have to
> transpose a
> > table.
> > I have table A that looks like this:
> > date          product  price description
> > 1/1/2006   prod1      1.00  some product
> > 1/1/2006   prod2      3.00  other product
> >
> > I need to transpose this table to create table B
> > date         prod1    prod2
> > 1/1/2006   1.00      3.00
> >
> > I think I can use EXECUTE statement and build the table
> dynamically by
> > using the result of the select statement for column names. Would
> that> be the right approach?  Are there good examples somewhere on
> how to
> > implement this?
> >
> > My second problem, is that after creating the above transposed
> > table, I
> > will be inserting more rows to it from table A and i might have more
> > products too.  That means I will have to compare the value of
> product> from table A with the column names of table B and alter
> the table
> > accordingly.  To compare coulmn names with the value of product in
> > table A I think I can use pg_attribute function.  Would that be
> > right
> > way to go?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > NK
> >

> > ---------------------------(end of

Re: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

Дата:
Hi,
Thanks again.
One more question.  Will crosstab function work if i will not know the
number/names of columns before hand?  Or I need to supply colum
headings?

Thanks again.
NK

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:08:15 -0700,
>   nkunkov@optonline.net wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for the suggestions.
> > I will try to describe the problem better.
> > I have two problems to solve.  First one is that I have to transpose a
> > table.
> > I have table A that looks like this:
> > date          product  price description
> > 1/1/2006   prod1      1.00  some product
> > 1/1/2006   prod2      3.00  other product
> >
> > I need to transpose this table to create table B
> > date         prod1    prod2
> > 1/1/2006   1.00      3.00
> >
> > I think I can use EXECUTE statement and build the table dynamically by
> > using the result of the select statement for column names. Would that
> > be the right approach?  Are there good examples somewhere on how to
> > implement this?
>
> The crosstabs contrib module can transpose tables for you.
>
> > My second problem, is that after creating the above transposed table, I
> > will be inserting more rows to it from table A and i might have more
> > products too.  That means I will have to compare the value of product
> > from table A with the column names of table B and alter the table
> > accordingly.  To compare coulmn names with the value of product in
> > table A I think I can use pg_attribute function.  Would that be a right
> > way to go?
>
> I don't think that will work very well. I expect that adding data to the
> original tables and retransposing when you need reports would be a better
> way to go.
>
> Changing table definitions on the fly is going to be very costly and will
> break concurrent access.

>        match

Re: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 13:38:34 -0700,
  nkunkov@optonline.net wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks again.
> One more question.  Will crosstab function work if i will not know the
> number/names of columns before hand?  Or I need to supply colum
> headings?

I checked a bit into this, and the actual contrib name is tablefunc, not
crosstab. It provides crosstab functions for up to 4 columns, but it isn't
hard to make ones that handle more columns.

You can read the included readme file at:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/tablefunc/README.tablefunc?rev=1.14

Re: Dynamic table with variable number of columns

От
nkunkov@optonline.net
Дата:
Thank you very much.