Обсуждение: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

От
"Stanislaw Tristan"
Дата:
It is a possible?

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

От
Aly Dharshi
Дата:
Yes, if you search the archives there was something on this. Maybe it was around
32-bit, but nonetheless, take a search through.

Aly.

Stanislaw Tristan wrote:
> It is a possible?

Aly S.P Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net

     "A good speech is like a good dress
      that's short enough to be interesting
      and long enough to cover the subject"

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On 4/27/06, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:
> Yes, if you search the archives there was something on this. Maybe it was around
> 32-bit, but nonetheless, take a search through.

There is a patch in the queue written by Magnus Hagander right now
which allows pg to build from the microsoft C compiler.  In theory,
this should allow pg to build 64 bit on windows with little or no
modifcation.

Another take is the Interix/SUA approach.  I've had PostgreSQL sources
unmodified working on windows as far back as 7.4.  I haven't looked at
it since the new R2 stuff came out, but if you are feeling adventerous
you might want to try and get SUA pgsql working on 64 bit.

Either of these approaches could work, but expect to be hacking around
wierd problems.  There is decent chance pgsql will be officially
supported on windows as of 8.2, scheduled for release this summer.

The current windows build environment, mingw, does not support 64 bit
and doesn't look like it is going to in the near future.

merlin

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> On 4/27/06, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:
> > Yes, if you search the archives there was something on
> this. Maybe it
> > was around 32-bit, but nonetheless, take a search through.
>
> There is a patch in the queue written by Magnus Hagander
> right now which allows pg to build from the microsoft C
> compiler.  In theory, this should allow pg to build 64 bit on
> windows with little or no modifcation.

Just so we're all clear, this patch *only* deals with 32-bit for now. It
lays a foundation for future work on 64-bit, but it makes no attempt at
it yet.

> Either of these approaches could work, but expect to be
> hacking around wierd problems.  There is decent chance pgsql
> will be officially supported on windows as of 8.2, scheduled
> for release this summer.

Um. That's the first I heard 8.2 was scheduled for release this summer.
AFAIK the curernt time-estimate is that it shuld go beta towards the end
of the summer, which means a release sometime Q4 if we follow previous
patterns.

//Magnus

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On 4/27/06, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:
> > > Yes, if you search the archives there was something on
> > this. Maybe it
> > > was around 32-bit, but nonetheless, take a search through.
> >
> > There is a patch in the queue written by Magnus Hagander
> > right now which allows pg to build from the microsoft C
> > compiler.  In theory, this should allow pg to build 64 bit on
> > windows with little or no modifcation.
>
> Just so we're all clear, this patch *only* deals with 32-bit for now. It
> lays a foundation for future work on 64-bit, but it makes no attempt at
> it yet.
>

> > Either of these approaches could work, but expect to be
> > hacking around wierd problems.  There is decent chance pgsql
> > will be officially supported on windows as of 8.2, scheduled
> > for release this summer.
>
> Um. That's the first I heard 8.2 was scheduled for release this summer.
> AFAIK the curernt time-estimate is that it shuld go beta towards the end
> of the summer, which means a release sometime Q4 if we follow previous
> patterns.

The schedule is for feature freeze of August 1, so right, no _release_
in the summer (assuming northern hemisphere).

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

Дата:
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>> On 4/27/06, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:
>> Either of these approaches could work, but expect to be
>> hacking around wierd problems.  There is decent chance pgsql
>> will be officially supported on windows as of 8.2, scheduled
>> for release this summer.

> Um. That's the first I heard 8.2 was scheduled for release this summer.
> AFAIK the curernt time-estimate is that it shuld go beta towards the end
> of the summer, which means a release sometime Q4 if we follow previous
> patterns.

I was kind of amused by the bit about "officially supported as of 8.2",
too.  That doesn't have anything to do with any reality I know of.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> >> On 4/27/06, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:
> >> Either of these approaches could work, but expect to be
> >> hacking around wierd problems.  There is decent chance pgsql
> >> will be officially supported on windows as of 8.2, scheduled
> >> for release this summer.
>
> > Um. That's the first I heard 8.2 was scheduled for release this summer.
> > AFAIK the curernt time-estimate is that it shuld go beta towards the end
> > of the summer, which means a release sometime Q4 if we follow previous
> > patterns.

hm, ok. I thought freeze was jul 1. which would have put release in
late summer (or fall)...oh well.

> I was kind of amused by the bit about "officially supported as of 8.2",
> too.  That doesn't have anything to do with any reality I know of.

By that I meant Mangus's msvc patch would be accepted into core
sources for 8.2.  What I was trying to indicate was that there is a
decent chance of being able to build via msvc in 8.2...I expect (hope)
that this will happen...sorry to sound presumptious though.

Merlin