Обсуждение: What's a good default encoding?

What's a good default encoding?

От
CSN
Дата:
If you're going to be putting emdashes, letters with
lines and circles above them, and similar stuff that's
mostly European and American in a database, what's a
good default encoding to use - UTF-8?

CSN

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: What's a good default encoding?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Mar 14, 2006, at 3:10 PM, CSN wrote:

> If you're going to be putting emdashes, letters with
> lines and circles above them, and similar stuff that's
> mostly European and American in a database, what's a
> good default encoding to use - UTF-8?

Yes, UTF-8 is good because it can represent every possible character
and is efficient with respect to latin character sets.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: What's a good default encoding?

От
"Michael Schmidt"
Дата:
Perhaps others can comment on encoding versus type of data.  I would add that the manner in which data are accessed may also be a consideration.  Specifically, UTF-8 is a good choice if one is going to use JDBC.

Michael Schmidt

Re: What's a good default encoding?

От
"Junaili Lie"
Дата:
I am wondering if somebody here can tell me the difference between UTF-8 and SQL-ASCII, whether there are any benefits of converting SQL-ASCII to UTF-8? If so, under what circumstances do we want to convert to UTF-8?
Thanks,