Re: What's a good default encoding?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: What's a good default encoding?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> > Maybe we could even "suggest" UTF8 in the "getting started"
> (i.e. the
> > windows installer initdb screen, or other default
> installations) Sth.
> > like "if you do not know better, take utf8"
>
> UTF-8 on windows works pretty well.

It does, but it has an extra speed penalty. For any comparison operation
(which means sort), the string must be converted to UTF-16, compared,
discarded. Win32  can't do native comparisions in UTF-8. Thoguh I
haven't specifically measured the difference, I doubt it would be
unnoticable. Which is the mani reason we didn't go with it as the
default for the 8.1 installer.

//Magnus