Обсуждение: Clustered PostgreSQL

Clustered PostgreSQL

От
"Jojo Paderes"
Дата:
Is it possible to cluster PostgreSQL? If yes where can I find the
resource information on how to implement it?

--
http://jojopaderes.multiply.com
http://jojopaderes.wordpress.com

Re: Clustered PostgreSQL

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Jojo Paderes wrote:

> Is it possible to cluster PostgreSQL? If yes where can I find the
> resource information on how to implement it?

You can use pgcluster: http://pgcluster.projects.postgresql.org/ (I
haven't tried it yet)

Of course, you can install any clustering software (like Red Hat Cluster
Suite) if you want an active-passive cluster.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Clustered PostgreSQL

От
Louis Gonzales
Дата:
Jojo Paderes wrote:

>Is it possible to cluster PostgreSQL? If yes where can I find the
>resource information on how to implement it?
>
>--
>http://jojopaderes.multiply.com
>http://jojopaderes.wordpress.com

Slony-I is another cluster software for postgreSQL.  What OS are you
running?  I just deployed it on Solaris 9, between a Sun Ultra
Enterprise E450 and a Sun Ultra 30.

It's really great.  Currently, it only supports Single
Master-to-multipleSlaves.  Meaning, the single master is the only node
where database updates can occur, the changes are then propagated to the
slave nodes.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php

Re: Clustered PostgreSQL

От
Thomas Hallgren
Дата:
If you're using JDBC, the C-JDBC (http://c-jdbc.objectweb.org/) might be a good option.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Jojo Paderes wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to cluster PostgreSQL? If yes where can I find the
>> resource information on how to implement it?
>
> You can use pgcluster: http://pgcluster.projects.postgresql.org/ (I
> haven't tried it yet)
>
> Of course, you can install any clustering software (like Red Hat Cluster
> Suite) if you want an active-passive cluster.
>
> Regards,
> --
> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Clustered PostgreSQL

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> If you're using JDBC, the C-JDBC (http://c-jdbc.objectweb.org/) might be a
> good option.

Definitely. I've read some papers on C-JDBC 3 years ago, and was really
satisfies with its features.

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Clustered PostgreSQL

От
"Jojo Paderes"
Дата:
We're currently using Ubuntu Breezy Hedgehog for our existing
PostgreSQL database server (8.0.x). A Java-based applications uses the
database server via JDBC.

I'm not sure if this question is within the context but I would like
to know if clustering can provide a hot-standby instance for a
production-running PostgreSQL server? Say if the main db server goes
down, another hot-standy with mirrored data from the main server can
be used to replaced the defective db server.

On 3/14/06, Louis Gonzales <louis.gonzales@linuxlouis.net> wrote:

> Slony-I is another cluster software for postgreSQL.  What OS are you
> running?  I just deployed it on Solaris 9, between a Sun Ultra
> Enterprise E450 and a Sun Ultra 30.
>
> It's really great.  Currently, it only supports Single
> Master-to-multipleSlaves.  Meaning, the single master is the only node
> where database updates can occur, the changes are then propagated to the
> slave nodes.
>
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php

--
http://jojopaderes.multiply.com
http://jojopaderes.wordpress.com

Re: Clustered PostgreSQL

От
Brendan Duddridge
Дата:
Do you know if pgcluster will work with PostgreSQL 8.1.3?

Brendan Duddridge | CTO | 403-277-5591 x24 |  brendan@clickspace.com

ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
Suite L100, 239 - 10th Ave. SE
Calgary, AB  T2G 0V9

http://www.clickspace.com

On Mar 14, 2006, at 6:18 AM, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Jojo Paderes wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to cluster PostgreSQL? If yes where can I find the
>> resource information on how to implement it?
>
> You can use pgcluster: http://pgcluster.projects.postgresql.org/ (I
> haven't tried it yet)
>
> Of course, you can install any clustering software (like Red Hat
> Cluster Suite) if you want an active-passive cluster.
>
> Regards,
> --
> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Вложения

Re: Clustered PostgreSQL

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 11:08 -0700, Brendan Duddridge wrote:
> Do you know if pgcluster will work with PostgreSQL 8.1.3?

I haven't tested but as far as I can read from web page, 1.5.0rc1 works
on 8.1.1 -- They now have rc7, and maybe it works on 8.1.3, but I don't
know...

Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Clustered PostgreSQL

От
Chris Travers
Дата:
Jojo Paderes wrote:

>We're currently using Ubuntu Breezy Hedgehog for our existing
>PostgreSQL database server (8.0.x). A Java-based applications uses the
>database server via JDBC.
>
>I'm not sure if this question is within the context but I would like
>to know if clustering can provide a hot-standby instance for a
>production-running PostgreSQL server? Say if the main db server goes
>down, another hot-standy with mirrored data from the main server can
>be used to replaced the defective db server.

PgPool or Slony-I could be used for this.  The difference being that
PgPool is statement level and thus may not be usable in some
environments.  It is also synchronous.  Slony-I is row-level and async,
but if your system goes down you may lose a small amount of unreplicated
data during the switchover.

YMMV...

HTH,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

>On 3/14/06, Louis Gonzales <louis.gonzales@linuxlouis.net> wrote:
>

>>Slony-I is another cluster software for postgreSQL.  What OS are you
>>running?  I just deployed it on Solaris 9, between a Sun Ultra
>>Enterprise E450 and a Sun Ultra 30.
>>
>>It's really great.  Currently, it only supports Single
>>Master-to-multipleSlaves.  Meaning, the single master is the only node
>>where database updates can occur, the changes are then propagated to the
>>slave nodes.
>>
>>http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php
>>

>--
>http://jojopaderes.multiply.com