Обсуждение: Arrays

Arrays

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
I would like to make a table of 20 plus columns the majority of columns being arrays.

The following test works. The array will hold up to five characteristics of each parameter including the unit of measurement used. Using traditional methods I would need six columns to accomplish the same end (Min, Max, Norm plus a unit column for each).

The downside is that the number of brackets required increases for each succeeding column for insert and update. The last column would comprise 48 brackets, 24 before - 24 after.

Is there a work-around for this.

Bob Pawley

create table specifications (
 fluid_id int4 ,
 Flow_Rate varchar array[5],
 Temperature varchar array[5],
 Pressure_In varchar array[5] ,
 Pressure_Out varchar array[5]
 );

 insert into specifications values ('1', '{25, 50, 100, gpm}', '{{100, 250, 500, DegF}}',
 '{{{10, 40, 100, psi}}}', '{{{{60, 120, 150, psi}}}}' );

Re: Arrays

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:15:22AM -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:

> I would like to make a table of 20 plus columns the
> majority of columns being arrays.
>
> The following test works. The array will hold up to five
> characteristics of each parameter including the unit of
> measurement used. Using traditional methods I would need six
> columns to accomplish the same end (Min, Max, Norm plus a
> unit column for each).
And why would that be undesirable ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Arrays

Дата:
Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> writes:
>  insert into specifications values ('1', '{25, 50, 100, gpm}', '{{100, 250, 500, DegF}}',
>  '{{{10, 40, 100, psi}}}', '{{{{60, 120, 150, psi}}}}' );

Why are you putting in all those extra braces?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Arrays

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
Because it gives me an error otherwise.

I am following the rules layed out in the documentation as follows -

Bob

----

8.10.2. Array Value Input
Now we can show some INSERT statements.

INSERT INTO sal_emp
    VALUES ('Bill',
    '{10000, 10000, 10000, 10000}',
    '{{"meeting", "lunch"}, {"meeting"}}');
ERROR:  multidimensional arrays must have array expressions with matching
dimensionsNote that multidimensional arrays must have matching extents for
each dimension. A mismatch causes an error report.

INSERT INTO sal_emp
    VALUES ('Bill',
    '{10000, 10000, 10000, 10000}',
    '{{"meeting", "lunch"}, {"training", "presentation"}}');

INSERT INTO sal_emp
    VALUES ('Carol',
    '{20000, 25000, 25000, 25000}',
    '{{"breakfast", "consulting"}, {"meeting", "lunch"}}');
A limitation of the present array implementation is that individual elements
of an array cannot be SQL null values. The entire array can be set to null,
but you can't have an array with some elements null and some not. (This is
likely to change in the future.)

The result of the previous two inserts looks like this:

SELECT * FROM sal_emp;
 name  |      pay_by_quarter       |                 schedule
 Bill  | {10000,10000,10000,10000} |
{{meeting,lunch},{training,presentation}}
 Carol | {20000,25000,25000,25000} |
{{breakfast,consulting},{meeting,lunch}}
(2 rows)