Re: Arrays

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Arrays
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 27, 2006, at 4:41 , Eric E wrote:

> I second that, and I'd love to have someone clarify the appropriate
> time to use arrays vs. more columns or an referenced tabled.  I've
> always found that confusing.

I would only use arrays if the natural data type of the data is an
array, such as some math applications. In these situations, for the
most part you are not going to be doing a lot of operations on
elements of the array, but rather the array value as a whole. While
PostgreSQL does have array support, PostgreSQL is a relational
database and as such is designed to handle relational data and is
best at handling data that is stored relationally, i.e., in tables
and columns.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com