Обсуждение: Data loading from a flat file...

Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
Дата:
Hi Pgsql,

I've a table schema in pg say as:

(A B C D E)

where none of these fields allow null.

Now, I've a flat file that has got tab-delimited data for B,C and E fields.
And A,B come from sequences.

Could anyone please let me know how I can upload the complete dataset into the table?

Thanks,
AK

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:51:55PM -0600, Angshu Kar wrote:
> Hi Pgsql,
>
> I've a table schema in pg say as:
>
> (A B C D E)
>
> where none of these fields allow null.
>
> Now, I've a flat file that has got tab-delimited data for B,C and E fields.
> And A,B come from sequences.
>
> Could anyone please let me know how I can upload the complete dataset into
> the table?

COPY table (b, c, e) FROM file?

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 22:51:55 -0600,
  Angshu Kar <angshu96@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Pgsql,
>
> I've a table schema in pg say as:
>
> (A B C D E)
>
> where none of these fields allow null.
>
> Now, I've a flat file that has got tab-delimited data for B,C and E fields.
> And A,B come from sequences.
>
> Could anyone please let me know how I can upload the complete dataset into
> the table?

Use COPY or INSERT with explicitly named columns. (I think this is a
relatively new feature for COPY, but you can use it for INSERT in any version.)

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
Дата:
Thanks Jim. the statement is running without any error but nothing is getting copied into the table!

Also, my data file is showing some ^M chars like

B1^M   C1^M   E1
B2^M   C2^M   E2
.
.
.

Does anyone know what can it represent?
Is it creating any trouble for the COPY command?
And can we use INSERT with COPY?

Thanks,
Angshu

On 1/5/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:51:55PM -0600, Angshu Kar wrote:
> Hi Pgsql,
>
> I've a table schema in pg say as:
>
> (A B C D E)
>
> where none of these fields allow null.
>
> Now, I've a flat file that has got tab-delimited data for B,C and E fields.
> And A,B come from sequences.
>
> Could anyone please let me know how I can upload the complete dataset into
> the table?

COPY table (b, c, e) FROM file?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com     work: 512-231-6117

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
Дата:
Could you please tell me what's the syntax with INSERT for this?

On 1/5/06, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 22:51:55 -0600,
  Angshu Kar < angshu96@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Pgsql,
>
> I've a table schema in pg say as:
>
> (A B C D E)
>
> where none of these fields allow null.
>
> Now, I've a flat file that has got tab-delimited data for B,C and E fields.
> And A,B come from sequences.
>
> Could anyone please let me know how I can upload the complete dataset into
> the table?

Use COPY or INSERT with explicitly named columns. (I think this is a
relatively new feature for COPY, but you can use it for INSERT in any version.)

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:51:55PM -0600, Angshu Kar wrote:
> I've a table schema in pg say as:
>
> (A B C D E)
>
> where none of these fields allow null.
>
> Now, I've a flat file that has got tab-delimited data for B,C and E fields.
> And A,B come from sequences.
>
> Could anyone please let me know how I can upload the complete dataset into
> the table?

See the documentation for COPY (or \copy in psql).  If you need to
adjust sequence values after the load you can use ALTER SEQUENCE
or the setval() function.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:04:16PM -0600, Angshu Kar wrote:
> Thanks Jim. the statement is running without any error but nothing is
> getting copied into the table!

What client are you using and what's the exact command you ran?
Does the command finish or does it never return?  How much data
is there?  What version of PostgreSQL are you using and on what
platform?

> Also, my data file is showing some ^M chars like
>
> B1^M   C1^M   E1
> B2^M   C2^M   E2

The ^M sequence might represent a carriage return -- how are you
viewing the file to see these characters?  Are they between fields
as shown or only at the ends of lines?

> Is it creating any trouble for the COPY command?

Possibly; you might need to massage the data if you can't get COPY
to read it.  That should be an easy job for a script (somebody here
can probably help).

> And can we use INSERT with COPY?

To use INSERT you'd need to read the data and generate the appropriate
INSERT commands; that's another scripting job.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
Дата:
Thanks Michael.

I'm using PgAdmin III 1.4.0 from my WinXP m/c to access the DB in my linux m/c! The file has about 2GB data.It returns back to the prompt very soon.
I'm using less or vi command to view the file and getting those ^M as mentioned (i.e. between fields). Any clue how I can massage the data? If you suggest I can try and write the script.

Also, now I'm facing another permission related problem!It's throwing the error:
ERROR:  could not open file "/home/akar/final.out" for reading: Permission denied
I've changed the file owner to postgres but without any avail!Also do I need to change the permission to akar directory? How(I'm a linux freshie)?

Thanks,
Angshu

On 1/5/06, Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:04:16PM -0600, Angshu Kar wrote:
> Thanks Jim. the statement is running without any error but nothing is
> getting copied into the table!

What client are you using and what's the exact command you ran?
Does the command finish or does it never return?  How much data
is there?  What version of PostgreSQL are you using and on what
platform?

> Also, my data file is showing some ^M chars like
>
> B1^M   C1^M   E1
> B2^M   C2^M   E2

The ^M sequence might represent a carriage return -- how are you
viewing the file to see these characters?  Are they between fields
as shown or only at the ends of lines?

> Is it creating any trouble for the COPY command?

Possibly; you might need to massage the data if you can't get COPY
to read it.  That should be an easy job for a script (somebody here
can probably help).

> And can we use INSERT with COPY?

To use INSERT you'd need to read the data and generate the appropriate
INSERT commands; that's another scripting job.

--
Michael Fuhr

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
I've solved the permission issue but now the error is:

ERROR:  missing data for column "subject_entry_id"
CONTEXT:  COPY distance, line 1: "107128"

I feel the ^M is creating the problem! Any means to remove that? I mean using the delimiters option?

I'm using PgAdmin III 1.4.0 from my WinXP m/c to access the DB in my linux m/c! The file has about 2GB data.It returns back to the prompt very soon.
I'm using less or vi command to view the file and getting those ^M as mentioned (i.e. between fields). Any clue how I can massage the data? If you suggest I can try and write the script.

Also, now I'm facing another permission related problem!It's throwing the error:
ERROR:  could not open file "/home/akar/final.out" for reading: Permission denied
I've changed the file owner to postgres but without any avail!Also do I need to change the permission to akar directory? How(I'm a linux freshie)?

Thanks,
Angshu

On 1/5/06, Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:04:16PM -0600, Angshu Kar wrote:
> Thanks Jim. the statement is running without any error but nothing is
> getting copied into the table!

What client are you using and what's the exact command you ran?
Does the command finish or does it never return?  How much data
is there?  What version of PostgreSQL are you using and on what
platform?

> Also, my data file is showing some ^M chars like
>
> B1^M   C1^M   E1
> B2^M   C2^M   E2

The ^M sequence might represent a carriage return -- how are you
viewing the file to see these characters?  Are they between fields
as shown or only at the ends of lines?

> Is it creating any trouble for the COPY command?

Possibly; you might need to massage the data if you can't get COPY
to read it.  That should be an easy job for a script (somebody here
can probably help).

> And can we use INSERT with COPY?

To use INSERT you'd need to read the data and generate the appropriate
INSERT commands; that's another scripting job.

--
Michael Fuhr

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Pandurangan R S
Дата:
To get rid of ^M characters you could use

cat file | tr -d ^M

you need to type ^V before you type ^M in the preceeding command. But
^V will not be displayed on the screen.

You might need to change directory permission too.

use chmod +rx <username>.

For this command to succeed you need to execute this command as root
or the owner of the directory

On 1/6/06, Angshu Kar <angshu96@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Michael.
>
> I'm using PgAdmin III 1.4.0 from my WinXP m/c to access the DB in my linux
> m/c! The file has about 2GB data.It returns back to the prompt very soon.
> I'm using less or vi command to view the file and getting those ^M as
> mentioned (i.e. between fields). Any clue how I can massage the data? If you
> suggest I can try and write the script.
>
> Also, now I'm facing another permission related problem!It's throwing the
> error:
> ERROR:  could not open file "/home/akar/final.out" for reading: Permission
> denied
>  I've changed the file owner to postgres but without any avail!Also do I
> need to change the permission to akar directory? How(I'm a linux freshie)?
>
> Thanks,
> Angshu
>

> On 1/5/06, Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:04:16PM -0600, Angshu Kar wrote:
> > > Thanks Jim. the statement is running without any error but nothing is
> > > getting copied into the table!
> >
> > What client are you using and what's the exact command you ran?
> > Does the command finish or does it never return?  How much data
> > is there?  What version of PostgreSQL are you using and on what
> > platform?
> >
> > > Also, my data file is showing some ^M chars like
> > >
> > > B1^M   C1^M   E1
> > > B2^M   C2^M   E2
> >
> > The ^M sequence might represent a carriage return -- how are you
> > viewing the file to see these characters?  Are they between fields
> > as shown or only at the ends of lines?
> >
> > > Is it creating any trouble for the COPY command?
> >
> > Possibly; you might need to massage the data if you can't get COPY
> > to read it.  That should be an easy job for a script (somebody here
> > can probably help).
> >
> > > And can we use INSERT with COPY?
> >
> > To use INSERT you'd need to read the data and generate the appropriate
> > INSERT commands; that's another scripting job.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Fuhr
> >

> --
> Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
> The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes
> first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
Дата:
Thanks for the chmod command Pandu but the cat command is not doing anything!

And as Michael suggested that file has indeed carriage returns embedded in fields. I opened it in my windows m/c using textpad and got:

B1
    C1
    E1
B2
    C2
    E2
.
.
.

Any more suggestions on how to solve this? :(

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
Дата:
More problems solved and created - Now I'm getting the error:

 null value in column "subject_id" violates not-null constraint

and this is nothing but column A which I talked about in the very beginning! Since its not null how can I COPY to B C and E. The same problem will arise with field E too!

AK

--

Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Pandurangan R S
Дата:
cat test | paste - - -

This will merge three consecutive lines into a single line. Note that
there is a space between each -.

On 1/6/06, Angshu Kar <angshu96@gmail.com> wrote:
> More problems solved and created - Now I'm getting the error:
>
>  null value in column "subject_id" violates not-null constraint
>
> and this is nothing but column A which I talked about in the very beginning!
> Since its not null how can I COPY to B C and E. The same problem will arise
> with field E too!
>
> AK
>

> On 1/6/06, Angshu Kar <angshu96@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the chmod command Pandu but the cat command is not doing
> anything!
> >
> > And as Michael suggested that file has indeed carriage returns embedded in
> fields. I opened it in my windows m/c using textpad and got:
> >
> > B1
> >     C1
> >     E1
> > B2
> >     C2
> >     E2
> > .
> > .
> > .
> >

> > Any more suggestions on how to solve this? :(
> >

> > On 1/6/06, Pandurangan R S <pandurangan.r.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > To get rid of ^M characters you could use
> > >
> > > cat file | tr -d ^M
> > >
> > > you need to type ^V before you type ^M in the preceeding command. But
> > > ^V will not be displayed on the screen.
> > >
> > > You might need to change directory permission too.
> > >
> > > use chmod +rx <username>.
> > >
> > > For this command to succeed you need to execute this command as root
> > > or the owner of the directory

> linux
> soon.
> If you

> the
> Permission
> freshie)?

> is

> appropriate

> comes
> > >

> > --
> >
> > Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
> > The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes
> first...
>

> --
>
> Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
> The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes
> first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Pandurangan R S
Дата:
Please show the output of describe command of the table

On 1/6/06, Angshu Kar <angshu96@gmail.com> wrote:
> More problems solved and created - Now I'm getting the error:
>
>  null value in column "subject_id" violates not-null constraint
>
> and this is nothing but column A which I talked about in the very beginning!
> Since its not null how can I COPY to B C and E. The same problem will arise
> with field E too!
>
> AK
>

> On 1/6/06, Angshu Kar <angshu96@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the chmod command Pandu but the cat command is not doing
> anything!
> >
> > And as Michael suggested that file has indeed carriage returns embedded in
> fields. I opened it in my windows m/c using textpad and got:
> >
> > B1
> >     C1
> >     E1
> > B2
> >     C2
> >     E2
> > .
> > .
> > .
> >

> > Any more suggestions on how to solve this? :(
> >

> > On 1/6/06, Pandurangan R S <pandurangan.r.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > To get rid of ^M characters you could use
> > >
> > > cat file | tr -d ^M
> > >
> > > you need to type ^V before you type ^M in the preceeding command. But
> > > ^V will not be displayed on the screen.
> > >
> > > You might need to change directory permission too.
> > >
> > > use chmod +rx <username>.
> > >
> > > For this command to succeed you need to execute this command as root
> > > or the owner of the directory

> linux
> soon.
> If you

> the
> Permission
> freshie)?

> is

> appropriate

> comes
> > >

> > --
> >
> > Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
> > The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes
> first...
>

> --
>
> Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
> The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes
> first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
here it is:

               Table "public.distance"
        Column        |       Type       | Modifiers
----------------------+------------------+-----------
 distance_id          | integer          | not null
 query_id              | integer          | not null
 subject_id            | integer          | not null
 distanceparameter_id | integer          |
 pvalue               | double precision | not null
    "distance_pkey" primary key, btree (distance_id)
    "distance_query_id_key" unique, btree (query_id, subject_id, distanceparameter_id)
Foreign-key constraints:
    "distance_distanceparameter_id_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (distanceparameter_id) REFERENCES distanceparameter(distanceparameter_id) ON UPDATE RESTRICT ON DELETE RESTRICT
    "distance_query_id_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (query_id) REFERENCES entry(entry_id) ON UPDATE RESTRICT ON DELETE RESTRICT
    "distance_subject_id_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (subject_id) REFERENCES entry(entry_id) ON UPDATE RESTRICT ON DELETE RESTRICT

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Pandurangan R S
Дата:
Issue the following command before you execute copy

ALTER TABLE DISTANCE ALTER COLUMN <column name which should use seq>
SET DEFAULT nextval('<sequence to be used>')

Btw, what version of postgres are you using?

> [...]
> throwing
> > > the
> > > Permission
> avail!Also do
> > > freshie)?

> nothing
> > > is

> fields

> COPY
> here

> > > appropriate

> > > comes

> comes
> > > first...
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
> > > The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes
> > > first...
> >

> --
>
> Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
> The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes

Дата:
Thanks a lot Pandu.Everything works ok. Now one last thing : I want to insert a fixed value to the D field in all rows. Any statement for that?

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Angshu Kar
Дата:
No need for that. Everything works fine. I'm grateful pgsql. And thanks a ton Pandu
:)

--

Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

--
Ignore the impossible but honor it ...
The only enviable second position is success, since failure always comes first...

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Bricklen Anderson
Дата:
Pandurangan R S wrote:
> To get rid of ^M characters you could use
>
> cat file | tr -d ^M
>
> you need to type ^V before you type ^M in the preceeding command. But
> ^V will not be displayed on the screen.

Or you can use dos2unix/unix2dos, if installed. I believe they are in
the sysutils package.

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:04:55 -0600,

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-insert.html

Re: Data loading from a flat file...

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2006-01-05 23:04:16, schrieb Angshu Kar:

> Also, my data file is showing some ^M chars like
>
> B1^M   C1^M   E1
> B2^M   C2^M   E2

If those ^M are coming from your data file, then you should use

        dos2unix <filename>

and the problem is gone

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi