Обсуждение: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Claire McLister
Дата:
Hi,

  We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google Maps
API.

  To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from October
2, 2005 2 pm (EST) through October 14th, 9 am (EST).

The result of this map is at:
http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=456

  Would like to hear what you think of it.

  Best wishes

Claire

  --
  Claire McLister                        mclister@zeesource.net
  1684 Nightingale Avenue     Suite 201

                      http://www.zeesource.net

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Arthur Hoogervorst
Дата:
Hi,

Pretty neat: I'm glad I'm not on that map!

Regards,

Arthur

On 10/24/05, Claire McLister <mclister@zeesource.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google Maps
> API.
>
>   To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from October
> 2, 2005 2 pm (EST) through October 14th, 9 am (EST).
>
> The result of this map is at:
> http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=456
>
>   Would like to hear what you think of it.
>
>   Best wishes
>
> Claire
>
>   --
>   Claire McLister  mclister@zeesource.net
>   1684 Nightingale Avenue Suite 201
>   Sunnyvale, CA 94087     408-733-2737(fax)
>
>                       http://www.zeesource.net

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Claire McLister
Дата:
I'm not sure if you show up in the wrong place, but you do show up in
Mountain View, California.

(To see that type 'hooger' next to the 'Name' filter above the map and
click on 'Filter'.

Claire

On Oct 24, 2005, at 12:15 PM, Arthur Hoogervorst wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Pretty neat: I'm glad I'm not on that map!
>

> Regards,
>

> Arthur
>

> On 10/24/05, Claire McLister <mclister@zeesource.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google
>> Maps
>> API.
>>
>>   To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from
>> October
>> 2, 2005 2 pm (EST) through October 14th, 9 am (EST).
>>
>> The result of this map is at:
>> http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=456
>>
>>   Would like to hear what you think of it.
>>
>>   Best wishes
>>
>> Claire
>>
>>   --
>>   Claire McLister  mclister@zeesource.net
>>   1684 Nightingale Avenue Suite 201
>>   Sunnyvale, CA 94087     408-733-2737(fax)
>>
>>                       http://www.zeesource.net
>>

>> ---------------------------(end of
>>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Brent Wood

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Claire McLister wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   We've developed an automatic email mapping capability from Google Maps
> API.
>
>   To try it out, we mapped origins of emails to this group from October
> 2, 2005 2 pm (EST) through October 14th, 9 am (EST).
>
> The result of this map is at:
> http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=456
>
>   Would like to hear what you think of it.

How about using Postgres/PostGIS & UMN mapserver for a fully Open Source
software & Postgres based map?

For a map like the one at
http://www.qgis.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=53

perhaps on the Postgres web site?

Brent Wood

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Claire McLister
Дата:
Thanks.

I looked at the Mapserver maps, and at first glance it seems Google
Maps API provides better map images and more interactive features
(zooming, panning, JS popups, satellite/map views, etc.)

So, what would be the advantage of Mapserver apart from it being based
on Open Source?

We use Postgresql server to store the data. Currently, we do not use
PostGIS as we do not do much geographical queries. Over time we could
move in that direction to offer better geographical query support.

Posting this (or a more detailed map) on the Postgresql web site sounds
like a great idea. We could even allow people to add markers for their
locations, and even enter more information about themselves to help
postgresql users connect with each other. One potential opportunity is
for users to quickly find consultants in their own area.

How would we initiate this activity?

Best wishes

Claire

On Oct 24, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Brent Wood wrote:

> How about using Postgres/PostGIS & UMN mapserver for a fully Open
> Source
> software & Postgres based map?
>
> For a map like the one at
> http://www.qgis.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=53
>
> perhaps on the Postgres web site?

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Actually I have already made a basic google map for the website[1] meant
to replace the old developers map. Check out the blog post at
http://people.planetpostgresql.org/xzilla/index.php?/archives/76-Maptastic.html

I'd be interested in talking more about getting more content into the
map and getting it in officially; One concern I had was finding a way to
include information that won't bog down end users with too much data.
(I've noticed large numbers of points tend to do that)

Robert Treat

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 12:11, Claire McLister wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> I looked at the Mapserver maps, and at first glance it seems Google
> Maps API provides better map images and more interactive features
> (zooming, panning, JS popups, satellite/map views, etc.)
>
> So, what would be the advantage of Mapserver apart from it being based
> on Open Source?
>
> We use Postgresql server to store the data. Currently, we do not use
> PostGIS as we do not do much geographical queries. Over time we could
> move in that direction to offer better geographical query support.
>
> Posting this (or a more detailed map) on the Postgresql web site sounds
> like a great idea. We could even allow people to add markers for their
> locations, and even enter more information about themselves to help
> postgresql users connect with each other. One potential opportunity is
> for users to quickly find consultants in their own area.
>
> How would we initiate this activity?
>
> Best wishes
>
> Claire
>
> On Oct 24, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Brent Wood wrote:
>
> > How about using Postgres/PostGIS & UMN mapserver for a fully Open
> > Source
> > software & Postgres based map?
> >
> > For a map like the one at
> > http://www.qgis.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=53
> >
> > perhaps on the Postgres web site?

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> Actually I have already made a basic google map for the website[1] meant
> to replace the old developers map. Check out the blog post at
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/xzilla/index.php?/archives/76-Maptastic.html
>
> I'd be interested in talking more about getting more content into the
> map and getting it in officially; One concern I had was finding a way to
> include information that won't bog down end users with too much data.
> (I've noticed large numbers of points tend to do that)

I do like the fact you pulled the names off the emails as well as the
email addresses.  That is important.

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> I do like the fact you pulled the names off the emails as well as the
> email addresses.  That is important.

Is there a plugin I am missing to make this work in Firefox? I just get
a blank grey screen.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Claire McLister wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I looked at the Mapserver maps, and at first glance it seems Google
> Maps API provides better map images and more interactive features
> (zooming, panning, JS popups, satellite/map views, etc.)
>
> So, what would be the advantage of Mapserver apart from it being based
> on Open Source?

More vector datasets to overlay & more control of the output map. For
example in New Zealand, we have access to higher resolution imagery than
google maps, as well as detailed vector data.

But I also think it could make a nice showcase for an Open Soure suite,
with Postgres, PostGIS, GEOS, GDAL/OGR, Proj4, Mapserver, using global &
local datasets, etc.

> We use Postgresql server to store the data. Currently, we do not use
> PostGIS as we do not do much geographical queries. Over time we could
> move in that direction to offer better geographical query support.
>
> Posting this (or a more detailed map) on the Postgresql web site sounds
> like a great idea. We could even allow people to add markers for their
> locations, and even enter more information about themselves to help
> postgresql users connect with each other. One potential opportunity is
> for users to quickly find consultants in their own area.
>
> How would we initiate this activity?

I'll forward this to a few people in the Open Source web mapping community
who may be able to assist.

> Best wishes
>
> Claire
>
> On Oct 24, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Brent Wood wrote:
>
> > How about using Postgres/PostGIS & UMN mapserver for a fully Open
> > Source
> > software & Postgres based map?
> >
> > For a map like the one at
> > http://www.qgis.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=53
> >
> > perhaps on the Postgres web site?

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Claire McLister
Дата:
Hi Joshua,

  No, you should not need a plugin. Can you open the Firefox Javascript
console and see if you get errors in Javascript? The mapping relies
heavily on Javascript and sometimes that gives errors. I just tried it
on Firefox 1.0 and it showed up okay.

  Let me know if the problem persists and we can try to resolve it.

Claire

On Oct 25, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I do like the fact you pulled the names off the emails as well as the
>> email addresses.  That is important.
>>

> Is there a plugin I am missing to make this work in Firefox? I just get
> a blank grey screen.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Claire McLister
Дата:
I took a look at your map, this is great wonderful that you were
already thinking along these lines.

Looks like there are two issues here: (1) Getting the data points for
users/developers maps, and (2) using the most appropriate mapping
technology.

I think we can use the Zeemaps service (http://www.zeemaps.com) for
number (1) above. The way this works is that you create a map and set a
few passwords: (a) moderator, (b) member, and (c) viewer. Using the
moderator password, you can set certain map properties, e.g.,
attributes to maintain with each entry, color legends, etc. With a
member password you can modify entries and their attributes, and with a
viewer password you can just see details without the ability to modify
anything. A casual user can just see the map with the markers and their
names, without access to any details for the entries. Hence
distributing the member password to the group and having each person
add his or her details would be a good way to go. The number of points
for Postgresql users can, of course, go pretty high. So far, we have
seen reasonable performance with up to 500-600 markers. I don't know if
there is an easy way of partitioning the user base into segments that
can fit within this range. Another idea would be to just split the map
after say 500 points.

For the number (2) the choice seems to be between Google Maps vs.
Mapserver and its associated Open Source tools. Having looked at
Brent's follow up emails, it seems that Mapserver and associated
toolkits can give much more flexibility.  Plus they have the advantage
that we are not limited by Google's terms, the most annoying of which
is that you cannot save, copy, or distribute the map images created.
So, it seems best to move towards the Open Source alternatives,
specially since they have better images as Brent points out. I've been
looking at some of the Mapserver toolkits, and there seems to be an
overwhelming amount of choice available for what to pick and not. So, I
don't feel qualified to pick the right technologies to use for the base
implementation. If someone can pick the mantle on that, I'd be happy to
work with that person to see how we can exchange information from the
map points stored from (1). If for the time being you feel comfortable
continuing with Google Maps, then there's multiple ways we can share
information developed by (1) through some kind of a web service API.

Claire

On Oct 25, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Robert Treat wrote:

> Actually I have already made a basic google map for the website[1]
> meant
> to replace the old developers map. Check out the blog post at
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/xzilla/index.php?/archives/76-
> Maptastic.html
>
> I'd be interested in talking more about getting more content into the
> map and getting it in officially; One concern I had was finding a way
> include information that won't bog down end users with too much data.
> (I've noticed large numbers of points tend to do that)
>

> Robert Treat
>

> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 12:11, Claire McLister wrote:
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I looked at the Mapserver maps, and at first glance it seems Google
>> Maps API provides better map images and more interactive features
>> (zooming, panning, JS popups, satellite/map views, etc.)
>>
>> So, what would be the advantage of Mapserver apart from it being based
>> on Open Source?
>>
>> We use Postgresql server to store the data. Currently, we do not use
>> PostGIS as we do not do much geographical queries. Over time we could
>> move in that direction to offer better geographical query support.
>>
>> Posting this (or a more detailed map) on the Postgresql web site
>> sounds
>> like a great idea. We could even allow people to add markers for their
>> locations, and even enter more information about themselves to help
>> postgresql users connect with each other. One potential opportunity is
>> for users to quickly find consultants in their own area.
>>
>> How would we initiate this activity?
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Claire
>>
>> On Oct 24, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Brent Wood wrote:
>>
>>> How about using Postgres/PostGIS & UMN mapserver for a fully Open
>>> Source
>>> software & Postgres based map?
>>>
>>> For a map like the one at
>>> http://www.qgis.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=53
>>>
>>> perhaps on the Postgres web site?
>>

>> ---------------------------(end of

> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
>        match

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

Дата:
FYI, here is a map of my PostgreSQL trips, using Google:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/map.html

Claire McLister wrote:
> [...]
> >> sounds
> >> like a great idea. We could even allow people to add markers for their
> >> locations, and even enter more information about themselves to help
> >> postgresql users connect with each other. One potential opportunity is
> >> for users to quickly find consultants in their own area.
> >>
> >> How would we initiate this activity?
> >>
> >> Best wishes
> >>
> >> Claire

> >> ---------------------------(end of
> >> broadcast)---------------------------
> >> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
> >
> > --
> > Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL
> >

> > ---------------------------(end of
> > broadcast)---------------------------
> > TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> >        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not

Дата:
Hi All,

  The only objection that I've heard to using Google maps is there
are some 'copyright issues'. AFAIK, Google Maps come with a fairly
liberal license. As long as you use it in a web application that is
freely accessible to users, you are within their terms of use. The
problem with other approaches was to get wide ranging map images.

  While it would be nice to showcase some of the other technologies,
maybe we can get started on the map and move towards the showcase as
the technologies and infrastructure becomes available.

  To kick things off, I have created a map for Postgresql users at:

    http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=1122

  Go ahead and add yourself to the map with the password 'pgsql'. You
can add entries to the map either by specifying a location
information (address (US), city, state, and country) or just double
click on a location.

  Use the color coding of Green -> Consultant, Red -> User, and
Yellow -> developer.

  With this map, at least we'll start to collect the location
information in one place. We do have an 'Export CSV' feature, so we
can export this data to other maps and infrastructure as desired.

  Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Claire

On Dec 7, 2005, at 6:35 AM, Robert Treat wrote:

> [...]
> probably fine as it will only be a few people looking at it until we
> finalize what we really need.
>
>> Additionally we got lost in a few technical discussions about
>> whether to
>> implement the full scale service oriented standardized I-can-add-
>> myself
>> version using PostgreSQL with PostGIS (which I would really like
>> to see
>> as it promotes using PG as spatial data backend and also gives us GIS
>> guys a chance to show off cool technology).
>>

> As a side note, we need folks to help out with the elephant database
> monitoring project. That seems like an ideal project to help show off
> postgis. http://pgfoundry.org/projects/wilddb/
>
>> Claire favored an easy-to-use google-maps approach which would
>> mean less
>> effort getting to run (they have it all up and running) but less
>> compatibility and unsolved copyright issues regarding the
>> background maps.
>>

> Hmm...I thought this was all something that could be relatively
> easy to
> solve. I think the main problem here was that I needed to test whether
> the maps mirroring would work in the main site; I believe it would,
> but
> this should probably be confirmed, and I haven't had time to get
> back to
> it. The other side being that showing of postgis does have a nice
> political upside that seems worth following up on.
>
>> Give us a few more days, by the weekend I will post a link so that
>> people can have a look at it. The link will ship with a list of which
>> software is being used and how it is configured. Ideally someone
>> "near"
>> the PostgreSQL homepage could operate the service (we GIS folks never
>> stop considering spatial proximity).
>
> Yes, the plan would be to integrate it fully into the postgresql web
> infrastructure. We just need to figure out what that will take.
>

>> What has to be done anyway is collect the coordinates of the
>> users. It
>> would be nice to not start off with a blank map. We can provide
>> some 20
>> users in Germany (most of them spatial). Either the name of a city or
>> the decimal degree coordinates of the position will do.
>
> I see this as sort of a secondary thing, but I already have
> coordinates
> for most of the people listed on our developers page, so we can always
> start with that. I'm not against the idea of plotting other points
> though; we could have points for support companies, points for mailing
> list users, do some type of frapper style sign up; but that's
> secondary.
> The first step is figuring setting up a system to display the
> coordinates, then we can add more knobs on how to get the coordinates.
>

>> Best, Arnulf.

> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

Reid Thompson
Дата:
Claire McLister wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  The only objection that I've heard to using Google maps is there  are
> some 'copyright issues'. AFAIK, Google Maps come with a fairly  liberal
> license. As long as you use it in a web application that is  freely
> accessible to users, you are within their terms of use. The  problem
> with other approaches was to get wide ranging map images.
>
>  While it would be nice to showcase some of the other technologies,
> maybe we can get started on the map and move towards the showcase as
> the technologies and infrastructure becomes available.
>
>  To kick things off, I have created a map for Postgresql users at:
>
>    http://www.zeesource.net/maps/map.do?group=1122
>
>  Go ahead and add yourself to the map with the password 'pgsql'. You
> can add entries to the map either by specifying a location  information
> (address (US), city, state, and country) or just double  click on a
> location.
>
>  Use the color coding of Green -> Consultant, Red -> User, and  Yellow
> -> developer.

does developer mean postgresql developer( contributes code to the
postgresql code base), or any developer that utilizes postgresql in
their applications?

Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От
Claire McLister
Дата:
Developer means postgresql developer (contributes code to postresql
code base), otherwise the person is a 'User'.

I've changed the legend to say 'PG Developer' to make this clearer.

Let me know if you have alternate legend title suggestions.