Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

От Claire McLister
Тема Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)
Дата
Re: Map of Postgresql Users (OT)  (Brent Wood <b.wood@niwa.co.nz>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks.

I looked at the Mapserver maps, and at first glance it seems Google
Maps API provides better map images and more interactive features
(zooming, panning, JS popups, satellite/map views, etc.)

So, what would be the advantage of Mapserver apart from it being based
on Open Source?

We use Postgresql server to store the data. Currently, we do not use
PostGIS as we do not do much geographical queries. Over time we could
move in that direction to offer better geographical query support.

Posting this (or a more detailed map) on the Postgresql web site sounds
like a great idea. We could even allow people to add markers for their
locations, and even enter more information about themselves to help
postgresql users connect with each other. One potential opportunity is
for users to quickly find consultants in their own area.

How would we initiate this activity?

Best wishes

Claire