Обсуждение: postgresql Secure Mode

postgresql Secure Mode

От
Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela
Дата:
Hi,

i have a probem,.

I am trying to configure postgresql in sure way, I have made the
following thing:

1. - I have created the certificate and put this in the directory it data
2. - given him privileges to the user postgresql for the certificate
3. - in the file postgresql.conf, modify the parameters ssl = true to
use md5 = true
4. - in the file pg_hba.conf adds one it lines this way hostssl all
all 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 md5
5. - stsrt postresql

But when trying to connect me  says that the user cannot authenticate

some idea

thank you very much

--
cordialmente,

Ing. Mario Soto Cordones
--
cordialmente,

Ing. Mario Soto Cordones

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
> Hi,
>
> i have a probem,.
>
> I am trying to configure postgresql in sure way, I have made the
> following thing:
>
> 1. - I have created the certificate and put this in the directory it data
> 2. - given him privileges to the user postgresql for the certificate
> 3. - in the file postgresql.conf, modify the parameters ssl = true to
> use md5 = true
> 4. - in the file pg_hba.conf adds one it lines this way hostssl all
> all 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 md5
> 5. - stsrt postresql
>
> But when trying to connect me  says that the user cannot authenticate
>
> some idea

Hmm.  Are you certain you had the password for the user stored
somewhere?

e.g...

1.  Stored in the file $HOME/.pgpass?
2.  Stored in some relevant environment variable ($PGPASS)?
3.  Included into the DSN (e.g. - 'dbname=this password=something')

Having the cert doesn't automatically authenticate anything...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela
Дата:
Hi ,
not in fact I don't have a password file, I wanted to use
autentificacion PAM, I have attempted it but I have not gotten it, on
the other hand I don't understand that of the passwords file.

Greetings and thank you

Mario Soto

2005/8/7, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i have a probem,.
> >
> > I am trying to configure postgresql in sure way, I have made the
> > following thing:
> >
> > 1. - I have created the certificate and put this in the directory it data
> > 2. - given him privileges to the user postgresql for the certificate
> > 3. - in the file postgresql.conf, modify the parameters ssl = true to
> > use md5 = true
> > 4. - in the file pg_hba.conf adds one it lines this way hostssl all
> > all 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 md5
> > 5. - stsrt postresql
> >
> > But when trying to connect me  says that the user cannot authenticate
> >
> > some idea
>
> Hmm.  Are you certain you had the password for the user stored
> somewhere?
>
> e.g...
>
> 1.  Stored in the file $HOME/.pgpass?
> 2.  Stored in some relevant environment variable ($PGPASS)?
> 3.  Included into the DSN (e.g. - 'dbname=this password=something')
>
> Having the cert doesn't automatically authenticate anything...
> --
> let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
> http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html
> Rules of  the Evil  Overlord #153.  "My Legions of  Terror will  be an
> equal-opportunity employer. Conversely, when  it is prophesied that no
> man  can defeat  me, I  will  keep in  mind the  increasing number  of
> non-traditional gender roles." <http://www.eviloverlord.com/>

cordialmente,

Ing. Mario Soto Cordones

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 08:44:44AM -0400, Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela wrote:
> Hi ,
> not in fact I don't have a password file, I wanted to use
> autentificacion PAM, I have attempted it but I have not gotten it, on
> the other hand I don't understand that of the passwords file.

Can you post step-by-step instructions on how you set your system up?
You hadn't mentioned PAM in your first report, and you didn't say what
certificate you created and how.  Also, you didn't show the relevant
server log extract.  Did you create a client certificate?  Did you
create the PAM user in Postgres?

"Entristecido, Wutra                     (canción de Las Barreras)
echa a Freyr a rodar
y a nosotros al mar"

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela
Дата:
Hello, what comments of PAM, was alone that, a comment, since try to
make it and I don't work.

now I detail them the carried out steps.
1.- make  the digital certificate, and it places it in the directory
it data of postgresql.

  openssl req -new -text -out server.req
  openssl rsa -in privkey.pem -out server.key
  rm privkey.pem
  openssl req -x509 -in server.req -text -key server.key -out server.crt
  chown postgres:postgres server.key && chmod og-rwx server.key

2.- configure postgresql.conf

ssl=true
password_encryption = true

3.- configure pg_hba.conf

hostssl all all  192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 MD5

4.- service postgresql stop
5.- service postgresql start

but when I try to connect myself for example from an application EMS
postgresql manager by means of SSL,  says that it cannot authenticate
in user

Thank, you very much

--
cordialmente,

Ing. Mario Soto Cordones

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:24:54AM -0400, Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela wrote:

> 3.- configure pg_hba.conf
>
> hostssl all all  192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 MD5

I assume the connection is coming from within this network; is that
right?  (What's the IP address of the client machine?)

> 4.- service postgresql stop
> 5.- service postgresql start
>
> but when I try to connect myself for example from an application EMS
> postgresql manager by means of SSL,  says that it cannot authenticate
> in user

Ok, so do you have the user created in Postgres by means of CREATE USER
or createuser?  Try changing the password.  Also, please show us the
relevant extract of the server log file.

"[PostgreSQL] is a great group; in my opinion it is THE best open source
development communities in existence anywhere."                (Lamar Owen)

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:24:54AM -0400, Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela wrote:
> 3.- configure pg_hba.conf
>
> hostssl all all  192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 MD5

Do you have "MD5" (uppercase) or "md5" (lowercase)?  Using uppercase
on my 8.0.3 system generates an error in the postmaster logs:

LOG:  invalid entry in file ".../pg_hba.conf" at line 72, token "MD5"

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela
Дата:
2005/8/8, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:24:54AM -0400, Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela wrote:
>
> > 3.- configure pg_hba.conf
> >
> > hostssl all all  192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 MD5
>
> I assume the connection is coming from within this network; is that
> right?  (What's the IP address of the client machine?)

Yes,

example ip machine 192.168.0.100

> > 4.- service postgresql stop
> > 5.- service postgresql start
> >
> > but when I try to connect myself for example from an application EMS
> > postgresql manager by means of SSL,  says that it cannot authenticate
> > in user
>
> Ok, so do you have the user created in Postgres by means of CREATE USER
> or createuser?  Try changing the password.  Also, please show us the
> relevant extract of the server log file.

yes expample the user is vasa

the log say

LOG: no se pudo cargar el archivo del certificado raiz
/var/lib/pgsql/data/bd/root.crt
DETALLE: Los certificados de clientes no se verificaran

but I don't understand because it leaves that message

Thank you very much

> --
> Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]alvh.no-ip.org>)
> "[PostgreSQL] is a great group; in my opinion it is THE best open source
> development communities in existence anywhere."                (Lamar Owen)

--
cordialmente,

Ing. Mario Soto Cordones

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela
Дата:
uppercase but not say error

thank you

--
cordialmente,

Ing. Mario Soto Cordones

Re: postgresql Secure Mode

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:06:22AM -0400, Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela wrote:
> 2005/8/8, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>:
> > On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:24:54AM -0400, Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela wrote:

> > > but when I try to connect myself for example from an application EMS
> > > postgresql manager by means of SSL,  says that it cannot authenticate
> > > in user
> >
> > Ok, so do you have the user created in Postgres by means of CREATE USER
> > or createuser?  Try changing the password.  Also, please show us the
> > relevant extract of the server log file.
>
> yes expample the user is vasa
>
> the log say
>
> LOG: no se pudo cargar el archivo del certificado raiz
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/bd/root.crt
> DETALLE: Los certificados de clientes no se verificaran

This isn't the problem.  Here it's only telling you that were the client
to hand a certificate, they wouldn't be checked.  There must be other
message.

> but I don't understand because it leaves that message

It's because you don't have the root.crt file, or the file doesn't have
the proper permissions.

I don't understand why didn't you post this problem to pgsql-es-ayuda
first ...

Y dijo Dios: "Que sea Satanás, para que la gente no me culpe de todo a mí."
"Y que hayan abogados, para que la gente no culpe de todo a Satanás"

Re: [ADMIN] postgresql Secure Mode

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 12:40:24PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 12:24:14PM -0400, Mario Soto Cordones - Venezuela wrote:
> > 2005/8/8, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>:
> >
> > > Yeah, the server thinks it's active, but the client doesn't know it.
> > > Did you try connecting with psql?  Maybe your EMS client does not
> > > support SSL (it'd surprise me.)
> >
> > Yes EMS suport this but say unable to autenticate user
>
> Maybe you have to enable it explicitly?  Maybe it's not supported in the
> free (lite) version?  Again, did you try with psql?

On private email exchange we found out that the culprit is pgOleDb,
which doesn't support SSL connections.

"There was no reply" (Kernel Traffic)