Обсуждение: Fyracle?

Fyracle?

От
Russ Brown
Дата:
I've just been sent this link by our DBA (pro MySQL but even more
Anti-Postgres):

http://www.janus-software.com/fb_fyracle.html

I want to know how they've calculated the numbers that they're created
those pie graphs from. The only thing I can think of that Postgres
doesn't have for 'transactions' is two-phase commit, and yet it's
given it 1/2 functionality.

Anybody else care to comment?

--

Russ

Re: Fyracle?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Russ Brown wrote:
> I've just been sent this link by our DBA (pro MySQL but even more
> Anti-Postgres):
>
> http://www.janus-software.com/fb_fyracle.html
>
> I want to know how they've calculated the numbers that they're created
> those pie graphs from. The only thing I can think of that Postgres
> doesn't have for 'transactions' is two-phase commit, and yet it's
> given it 1/2 functionality.

Made the figures up presumably. It's a sales document to push their
oracle-on-firebird system, rather than a technical evaluation. They'd be
stupid to pick a scoring system that didn't leave a clear gap between
them and the competition.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Fyracle?

От
Mike Rylander
Дата:
On 6/6/05, Russ Brown <pickscrape@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just been sent this link by our DBA (pro MySQL but even more
> Anti-Postgres):
>
> http://www.janus-software.com/fb_fyracle.html
>
> I want to know how they've calculated the numbers that they're created
> those pie graphs from. The only thing I can think of that Postgres
> doesn't have for 'transactions' is two-phase commit, and yet it's
> given it 1/2 functionality.

That is a bit harsh.  I suppose the reviewer thinks ultra-slow
cross-machine transactions that have to be repaired by hand are really
fun.  ;)

> Anybody else care to comment?

Their PL bullet point looks like postgres should have at least a
partial circle (..."in which languages? PL/SQL or similar, Java,
C/C++?...similar enough to your current database to allow for a fast
(automated) process"...).

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com

Re: Fyracle?

От
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Some comments:

> I've just been sent this link by our DBA (pro MySQL but even more
> Anti-Postgres):

I can see skript kiddies preferring MySQL, but a DBA?  Time for a
credentials review.

Firebird is a good small database (small resource footprint) that handles
small databases with many users well.  It doesn't scale well due to its
single file data storage implementation.  A good disk farm is mostly wasted
on it.

I think that comparing Firebird to Oracle functionality can only be done in
an extremely superficial manner because of the difference in scalability.
So they implemented PL/SQL.  Whoopee.  Get the source for GNAT and do it
for PostgreSQL, if anybody cares.

Rick

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 06/06/2005 05:12:05 AM:

> I've just been sent this link by our DBA (pro MySQL but even more
> Anti-Postgres):
>
> http://www.janus-software.com/fb_fyracle.html
>
> I want to know how they've calculated the numbers that they're created
> those pie graphs from. The only thing I can think of that Postgres
> doesn't have for 'transactions' is two-phase commit, and yet it's
> given it 1/2 functionality.
>
> Anybody else care to comment?
>
> --
>
> Russ

Re: Fyracle?

От
Geraldo Lopes de Souza
Дата:
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com escreveu:
> Some comments:
>

> Firebird is a good small database (small resource footprint) that handles
> small databases with many users well.

In the hospital I work we have a 4GB database with 50 users connected
running 24/7 (her I stop  it 2.5 hours per month)

>It doesn't scale well due to its
> single file data storage implementation.  A good disk farm is mostly wasted
> on it.

You can partitionate a database with multiple archives.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Geraldo Lopes de Souza