Обсуждение: Determining when a row was inserted

Determining when a row was inserted

От
"Eisenhut, Glenn"

Folks - hi

Is it possible to determine when a row was inserted into a table using the system catalogs or such.
I have the situation where I need to find out when a user was added to a user table - the table was not setup with a
dateto track this.

Thanks
Glenn

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than
theintended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure,
copying,distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and
deletethe message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Terry Lee Tucker
Дата:
I don't think there is a way to do that. You'll have to create an audit table
and a rule to update it or you'll have to add a column to the table and a
trigger to update it.

On Thursday 02 June 2005 01:22 am, Eisenhut, Glenn saith:
> Folks - hi
>
> Is it possible to determine when a row was inserted into a table using the
> system catalogs or such. I have the situation where I need to find out when
> a user was added to a user table - the table was not setup with a date to
> track this.
>
> Thanks
> Glenn

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 06:22:01 +0100,
  "Eisenhut, Glenn" <glenn.eisenhut@bearingpoint.com> wrote:

> Folks - hi
>
> Is it possible to determine when a row was inserted into a table using the system catalogs or such.
> I have the situation where I need to find out when a user was added to a user table - the table was not setup with a
dateto track this.

No. If you want this information, you have to set it up yourself.

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Wiebe de Jong
Дата:
The way I do it is to add a timestamp field with a default value of now().
Unfortunately, this won't help with any records that have already been
created.

Wiebe

I don't think there is a way to do that. You'll have to create an audit
table
and a rule to update it or you'll have to add a column to the table and a
trigger to update it.

On Thursday 02 June 2005 01:22 am, Eisenhut, Glenn saith:
> Folks - hi
>
> Is it possible to determine when a row was inserted into a table using the
> system catalogs or such. I have the situation where I need to find out
when
> a user was added to a user table - the table was not setup with a date to
> track this.
>
> Thanks
> Glenn

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Alex Turner
Дата:
One might even suggest that this should really be a default for all tables everywhere, because at some time or another, someone wants to know when something got put in the database...

Alex.

The way I do it is to add a timestamp field with a default value of now().
Unfortunately, this won't help with any records that have already been
created.

Wiebe

I don't think there is a way to do that. You'll have to create an audit
table
and a rule to update it or you'll have to add a column to the table and a
trigger to update it.

On Thursday 02 June 2005 01:22 am, Eisenhut, Glenn saith:
> Folks - hi
>
> Is it possible to determine when a row was inserted into a table using the
> system catalogs or such. I have the situation where I need to find out
when
> a user was added to a user table - the table was not setup with a date to
> track this.
>
> Thanks
> Glenn

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
Reply at bottom...

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 13:40, Alex Turner wrote:
> One might even suggest that this should really be a default for all
> tables everywhere, because at some time or another, someone wants to
> know when something got put in the database...
>
> Alex.
>
> On 6/3/05, Wiebe de Jong <wiebedj@shaw.ca> wrote:
>         The way I do it is to add a timestamp field with a default
>         value of now().
>         Unfortunately, this won't help with any records that have
>         already been
>         created.
>
>         Wiebe

No, this is a terrible idea as a default.  while I wouldn't mind having
a switch for it, the cost of storing a timestamp AND having to produce
it for each insert is not worth it, since there are just as likely to be
tables no one cares a wit about when they were last changed.

That kind of designing is what leads to bloated, overweight programs...

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
Reply at bottom...

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 12:53, Wiebe de Jong wrote:
> The way I do it is to add a timestamp field with a default value of now().
> Unfortunately, this won't help with any records that have already been
> created.
>
> Wiebe

There are plenty of examples of a trigger to do this so that ANY time
the row is updated, or when it's inserted, the timestamp gets updated to
now() or timeofday.

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 02:40:08PM -0400, Alex Turner wrote:
> One might even suggest that this should really be a default for all tables
> everywhere, because at some time or another, someone wants to know when
> something got put in the database...

Except it's still a complete waste of space for most tables. People
have been arguing for years that OIDs are a waste of space and now
they've been made optional and will soon default to off. There's not
likely to be support to add another field in it's place.

Just like timetravel was removed from the core given that most people
don't need it and it's prohibitive in diskspace usage. If you want it,
enable it yourself.

Have a nice day.

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Wiebe de Jong

I don't use this for all tables, only the ones with important information in them, like people, accounts, etc.

I actually have two fields, tsCreated and tsUpdated, both which default to now(). When I do an update, I set the value of tsUpdated to now(). The tsCreated field is always left alone. This way, I always know when the record was created and last updated.

This is much simpler than using triggers to update a separate audit table.

Wiebe

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 12:53, Wiebe de Jong wrote:
> The way I do it is to add a timestamp field with a default value of now().
> Unfortunately, this won't help with any records that have already been
> created.
>
> Wiebe

Дата:
Please reply on the bottom, it makes it much easier to follow the

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 14:05, Wiebe de Jong wrote:
> I don't use this for all tables, only the ones with important
> information in them, like people, accounts, etc.
>

> I actually have two fields, tsCreated and tsUpdated, both which
> default to now(). When I do an update, I set the value of tsUpdated to
> now(). The tsCreated field is always left alone. This way, I always
> know when the record was created and last updated.
>

> This is much simpler than using triggers to update a separate audit
> table.
>

> Wiebe

You don't have to have a separate audit table, and the trigger ensures
that you have the right time whether your application tried to set it
wrong or not.  So, if a new user thinks he needs to set it to something,
a trigger will still set it to what it should be.

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 13:40, Alex Turner wrote:
>> One might even suggest that this should really be a default for all
>> tables everywhere, because at some time or another, someone wants to
>> know when something got put in the database...

> That kind of designing is what leads to bloated, overweight programs...

Agreed --- it is much more important to be sure that we have the
features needed to let people add these sorts of behaviors for
themselves (in this case, triggers).

As it happens, the original Berkeley-era Postgres did indeed add
creation and deletion timestamps to every row, as part of their "time
travel" feature.  That got ripped out very soon after the code left
Berkeley, because the overhead was just unacceptable ... and our
threshold for unacceptable performance was a whole lot higher then
than it is today ...

It's worth noting in connection with this Joe Hellerstein's description
of Berkeley-era Postgres:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-06/msg00085.php

            regards, tom lane

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Alex Turner
Дата:
True, although a trigger have the benefit of being able to capture the value before it was changed allowing some measure of versioning in your data which can be a lifesaver...

Alex Turner
netEconomist

I don't use this for all tables, only the ones with important information in them, like people, accounts, etc.

I actually have two fields, tsCreated and tsUpdated, both which default to now(). When I do an update, I set the value of tsUpdated to now(). The tsCreated field is always left alone. This way, I always know when the record was created and last updated.

This is much simpler than using triggers to update a separate audit table.

Wiebe

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 12:53, Wiebe de Jong wrote:
> The way I do it is to add a timestamp field with a default value of now().
> Unfortunately, this won't help with any records that have already been
> created.
>
> Wiebe

Дата:
I really wasn't suggesting it be put in the table structure at the DB level, more a sidebar suggestion for people building schemas for companies.  I can't count the number of times I've been asked when something was inserted and we didn't have an answer for the question.  Wouldn't it be nice for a change to be _ahead_ of the game?

Alex Turner
netEconomist

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> As it happens, the original Berkeley-era Postgres did indeed add
> creation and deletion timestamps to every row, as part of their "time
> travel" feature.  That got ripped out very soon after the code left
> Berkeley, because the overhead was just unacceptable ... and our
> threshold for unacceptable performance was a whole lot higher then
> than it is today ...
>
> It's worth noting in connection with this Joe Hellerstein's description
> of Berkeley-era Postgres:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-06/msg00085.php

The followups are fascinating too. The next three messages immediately begin
discussing how to get back this feature at least as an option.

--
greg

Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От
ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee)
Дата:
In article <33c6269f05060312363ff334df@mail.gmail.com>,
Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com> wrote:

% I really wasn't suggesting it be put in the table structure at the DB level,
% more a sidebar suggestion for people building schemas for companies. I can't
% count the number of times I've been asked when something was inserted and we
% didn't have an answer for the question. Wouldn't it be nice for a change to
% be _ahead_ of the game?

Just sticking a time stamp on the row doesn't solve this problem, though,
unless you preclude the possibility of the row being updated. Typically,
someone wants to know when a particular field held a particular value,
and you need an audit table for that.

--

Patrick TJ McPhee
North York  Canada