Re: Determining when a row was inserted

От Alex Turner
Тема Re: Determining when a row was inserted
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I really wasn't suggesting it be put in the table structure at the DB level, more a sidebar suggestion for people building schemas for companies.  I can't count the number of times I've been asked when something was inserted and we didn't have an answer for the question.  Wouldn't it be nice for a change to be _ahead_ of the game?

Alex Turner
netEconomist

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 02:40:08PM -0400, Alex Turner wrote:
> One might even suggest that this should really be a default for all tables
> everywhere, because at some time or another, someone wants to know when
> something got put in the database...

Except it's still a complete waste of space for most tables. People
have been arguing for years that OIDs are a waste of space and now
they've been made optional and will soon default to off. There's not
likely to be support to add another field in it's place.

Just like timetravel was removed from the core given that most people
don't need it and it's prohibitive in diskspace usage. If you want it,
enable it yourself.

Have a nice day.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/