Обсуждение: Ways to speed up dump&reload

Ways to speed up dump&reload

От
"Markus Wollny"
Дата:
Hello!

Finally the time has come for us to upgrade our PostgreSQL 7.4.5-servers to 8.0.1 - and though I'm very much looking
forwardto some of the new features, the dump&reload process is worrying me a bit this time. I've got one cluster in
particularwhich is roughly 9GB in size and features some dreadfully large indices of the GiST-type for Tsearch2.

I have already scheduled a nightshift for this upgrade, but I'm not all too certain that I'll be up and running again
inthe morning, so I wondered if there might be some preparations that would allow for some speed-up during the reload
process?What kind of tuning could be done in postgresql.conf in respect to just this particular workload (COPY and
finallythe CREATE INDEX stuff) with no other concurrent access going on?

The machine in question features a RAID10 disk array which hosts the DB-cluster, some 2GB RAM and four processors and
I'vetuned postgresql.conf for our ordinary everyday workload with lots and lots of concurrent reads and writes, but
I'vegot the feeling that this configuration might not be the optimum for dump&reload, so it might make some sense to
usesome sort of "maintenance"-configuration. What kind of tuning would you recommend?

Thank you very much for your advice and lots of cheers to the developers for 8.0!

Kind regards

   Markus

Re: Ways to speed up dump&reload

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
Hi Markus,

Have you considered installing slony and replicate from the old version
to the new one ? It can do that, and when the replica is up to date, the
switchover will take minutes I guess.
Note that I have never done that so please ask others about that too, or
research for yourself ;-)

Cheers,
Csaba.

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 07:11, Markus Wollny wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Finally the time has come for us to upgrade our PostgreSQL 7.4.5-servers to 8.0.1 - and though I'm very much looking
forwardto some of the new features, the dump&reload process is worrying me a bit this time. I've got one cluster in
particularwhich is roughly 9GB in size and features some dreadfully large indices of the GiST-type for Tsearch2.

> I have already scheduled a nightshift for this upgrade, but I'm not all too certain that I'll be up and running again
inthe morning, so I wondered if there might be some preparations that would allow for some speed-up during the reload
process?What kind of tuning could be done in postgresql.conf in respect to just this particular workload (COPY and
finallythe CREATE INDEX stuff) with no other concurrent access going on?

> The machine in question features a RAID10 disk array which hosts the DB-cluster, some 2GB RAM and four processors and
I'vetuned postgresql.conf for our ordinary everyday workload with lots and lots of concurrent reads and writes, but
I'vegot the feeling that this configuration might not be the optimum for dump&reload, so it might make some sense to
usesome sort of "maintenance"-configuration. What kind of tuning would you recommend?

> Thank you very much for your advice and lots of cheers to the developers for 8.0!
>
> Kind regards
>
>    Markus

Re: Ways to speed up dump&reload

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Markus,

have you read updated http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/docs/tsearch-V2-intro.html
about regprocedure_7.4.patch.gz and regprocedure_update.sql ?

Oleg
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Markus Wollny wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Finally the time has come for us to upgrade our PostgreSQL 7.4.5-servers to 8.0.1 - and though I'm very much looking
forwardto some of the new features, the dump&reload process is worrying me a bit this time. I've got one cluster in
particularwhich is roughly 9GB in size and features some dreadfully large indices of the GiST-type for Tsearch2.

> I have already scheduled a nightshift for this upgrade, but I'm not all too certain that I'll be up and running again
inthe morning, so I wondered if there might be some preparations that would allow for some speed-up during the reload
process?What kind of tuning could be done in postgresql.conf in respect to just this particular workload (COPY and
finallythe CREATE INDEX stuff) with no other concurrent access going on?

> The machine in question features a RAID10 disk array which hosts the DB-cluster, some 2GB RAM and four processors and
I'vetuned postgresql.conf for our ordinary everyday workload with lots and lots of concurrent reads and writes, but
I'vegot the feeling that this configuration might not be the optimum for dump&reload, so it might make some sense to
usesome sort of "maintenance"-configuration. What kind of tuning would you recommend?

> Thank you very much for your advice and lots of cheers to the developers for 8.0!
>
> Kind regards
>
>   Markus

         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Ways to speed up dump&reload

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Hello!
>
> Finally the time has come for us to upgrade our PostgreSQL
> 7.4.5-servers to 8.0.1 - and though I'm very much looking
> forward to some of the new features, the dump&reload process
> is worrying me a bit this time. I've got one cluster in
> particular which is roughly 9GB in size and features some
> dreadfully large indices of the GiST-type for Tsearch2.
>
> I have already scheduled a nightshift for this upgrade, but
> I'm not all too certain that I'll be up and running again in
> the morning, so I wondered if there might be some
> preparations that would allow for some speed-up during the
> reload process? What kind of tuning could be done in
> postgresql.conf in respect to just this particular workload
> (COPY and finally the CREATE INDEX stuff) with no other
> concurrent access going on?

If you'll be around to babysit the system during the reload, turn off
fsync during the load.
If you have the RAM, consider temporarily moving the WAL logs to a
ramdrive.
Increase sort_mem and maintenance_sort_mem, since you will only have a
single connection.
If you're on hyperthreading CPUs, disable hyperthreading. Since you load
in a single connectino, only one CPU will be used.

Be very careful to remember to turn this back on after the load!

Not sure if there is something specific you can do for tsearch, but this
should help with the general stuff

//Magnus

Re: Ways to speed up dump&reload

От
"Markus Wollny"
Дата:
Hello Oleg,

Yes, thanks - I have installed this patch as soon as it became available. Concerning my largest database, I haven't yet
migratedthat to tsearch2 - it's still tsearch1-based, so I intend to drop ts1 before the last dump, reload the database
withPostgreSQL 8.0.1 and deploy tsearch2 after that. I was thinking more in terms of what would be the optimum settings
forthings like workmem during reload and creation of the indices - as there's not much else going on at this point of
time,it might be worthwhile to use some settings which allocate all available resources to just this task.

Kind regards

   Markus