Re: Ways to speed up dump&reload

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: Ways to speed up dump&reload
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Markus,

have you read updated http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/docs/tsearch-V2-intro.html
about regprocedure_7.4.patch.gz and regprocedure_update.sql ?

Oleg
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Markus Wollny wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Finally the time has come for us to upgrade our PostgreSQL 7.4.5-servers to 8.0.1 - and though I'm very much looking
forwardto some of the new features, the dump&reload process is worrying me a bit this time. I've got one cluster in
particularwhich is roughly 9GB in size and features some dreadfully large indices of the GiST-type for Tsearch2.

> I have already scheduled a nightshift for this upgrade, but I'm not all too certain that I'll be up and running again
inthe morning, so I wondered if there might be some preparations that would allow for some speed-up during the reload
process?What kind of tuning could be done in postgresql.conf in respect to just this particular workload (COPY and
finallythe CREATE INDEX stuff) with no other concurrent access going on?

> The machine in question features a RAID10 disk array which hosts the DB-cluster, some 2GB RAM and four processors and
I'vetuned postgresql.conf for our ordinary everyday workload with lots and lots of concurrent reads and writes, but
I'vegot the feeling that this configuration might not be the optimum for dump&reload, so it might make some sense to
usesome sort of "maintenance"-configuration. What kind of tuning would you recommend?

> Thank you very much for your advice and lots of cheers to the developers for 8.0!
>
> Kind regards
>
>   Markus

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

От: Clodoaldo Pinto
Сообщение: Re: 7.4.6 FC2 MUCH slower from 2.6.9-1.11 to 2.6.10-1.8
От: Marco Colombo
Сообщение: Re: Scalability with large numbers of tables