Обсуждение: Postgresql and Macintosh

Postgresql and Macintosh

От
"renato.barrios"
Дата:
Please tell me if Postgresql runns in an iMac.
Thanks,
Renato

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Feb 9, 2005, at 10:39 AM, renato.barrios wrote:

> Please tell me if Postgresql runns in an iMac.

Sure, assuming your iMac is running OS X. You'll need to install
Apple's free developer tools to compile it or perhaps you might want to
use one of the freely available installers such as:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, den 09.02.2005, 16:39 +0100 schrieb renato.barrios:
> Please tell me if Postgresql runns in an iMac.

IIRC postgres is even part of Mac OS X.
(perhaps not the latest version)

Regards
Tino

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Thomas F.O'Connell
Дата:
I don't think it's a standard part of OS X. I think it comes with Apple
Remote Desktop, and it might be in the Server edition, but it's not a
part of the standard version.

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect

On Feb 9, 2005, at 1:34 AM, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 09.02.2005, 16:39 +0100 schrieb renato.barrios:
>> Please tell me if Postgresql runns in an iMac.
>
> IIRC postgres is even part of Mac OS X.
> (perhaps not the latest version)
>
> Regards
> Tino

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Jonel Rienton
Дата:

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, den 09.02.2005, 01:42 -0600 schrieb Thomas F.O'Connell:
> I don't think it's a standard part of OS X. I think it comes with Apple
> Remote Desktop, and it might be in the Server edition, but it's not a
> part of the standard version.

Ok ;) But at least we can state "it runs" ;)

Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Christoph Pingel
Дата:
>Please tell me if Postgresql runns in an iMac.

If you're on OS X, sure. I'd recommend installing darwinports
(http://darwinports.opendarwin.org), which makes downloading and
compiling as easy as that:

    sudo port install postgresql8

darwinports also features several modules for accessing postgresql, I
use psycopg for Python.
On my machine, a 'not-too-current' Powerbook, the combo runs without
any problems.

best regards,
Christoph

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Feb 9, 2005, at 3:43 AM, Jonel Rienton wrote:

> You'll probably need to install fink or darwinports also if you're
> building from source. I have successfully built PostgreSQL 8.0.1
> recently in my Mac OS X box.  Building PostgreSQL in different
> platforms has become one of my hobbies :) so if you need help just let
> me know.

Actually, I think everything you need is there without fink or
darwinports (unless you consider readline essential). I regularly use

./configure --without-readline

which gives an install that can be copied to other machines without
changes.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
renato.barrios wrote:

>Please tell me if Postgresql runns in an iMac.

Yes it does as long as you are running OS X.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Thanks,
>Renato

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:43:56AM -0600, Jonel Rienton wrote:

> You'll probably need to install fink or darwinports also if you're
> building from source. I have successfully built PostgreSQL 8.0.1
> recently in my Mac OS X box.  Building PostgreSQL in different
> platforms has become one of my hobbies :) so if you need help just let
> me know.

No need to play with fink or darwinports. 8.0.1 builds from source (at
least in a fairly vanilla configuration) on stock OS X 10.3 with the
apple developer tools installed.

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Thomas F.O'Connell
Дата:
True. Apple even has a page with installation instructions:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/postgres.html

-tfo

--

On Feb 9, 2005, at 3:14 AM, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Ok ;) But at least we can state "it runs" ;)

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Joe Lester
Дата:
Watch out for the memory leak bug on OS 10.3.2 though 10.3.5 (this is
apparently an OS X bug, not a Postgres bug):

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-08/msg00972.php

I don't know if it exists on 10.3.6 or 10.3.7 (the current version). I
submitted a bug report to Apple many months ago, but it has not seen
any activity yet.

Joe

On Feb 9, 2005, at 1:35 AM, John DeSoi wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2005, at 10:39 AM, renato.barrios wrote:
>
>> Please tell me if Postgresql runns in an iMac.
>
> Sure, assuming your iMac is running OS X. You'll need to install
> Apple's free developer tools to compile it or perhaps you might want
> to use one of the freely available installers such as:
>
> http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
>

> John DeSoi, Ph.D.
> http://pgedit.com/
> Power Tools for PostgreSQL
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

Дата:
Joe Lester <joe_lester@sweetwater.com> writes:
> Watch out for the memory leak bug on OS 10.3.2 though 10.3.5 (this is
> apparently an OS X bug, not a Postgres bug):
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-08/msg00972.php
> I don't know if it exists on 10.3.6 or 10.3.7 (the current version).

[ tries it... ]  Yup, still there in 10.3.7.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgresql and Macintosh

От
Jonel Rienton