Обсуждение: Spanning tables

Spanning tables

От
JM
Дата:
Hi ALL,

    Im wondering sooner or later my disk will be filled-up by postgres's data..

Can anyone give some suggestion on how to deal with this.  In oracle you can
just assign tables on a diff partition.

TIA

Re: Spanning tables

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 01:07:43PM +0800, JM wrote:

>     Im wondering sooner or later my disk will be filled-up by postgres's data..
>
> Can anyone give some suggestion on how to deal with this.  In oracle you can
> just assign tables on a diff partition.

In PostgreSQL 8.0 you'll be able to use tablespaces.  For earlier
versions, see the "Alternative Locations" section of the "Managing
Databases" chapter in the documentation, as well as the documentation
for "initlocation" under "PostgreSQL Server Applications" and CREATE
DATABASE under "SQL Commands."

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Spanning tables

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Thursday 09 Dec 2004 10:37 am, JM wrote:
> Hi ALL,
>
>     Im wondering sooner or later my disk will be filled-up by postgres's
> data..
>
> Can anyone give some suggestion on how to deal with this.  In oracle you
> can just assign tables on a diff partition.

You could use tablespaces in postgresql 8.0..

Check this

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-createtablespace.html
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-createtable.html

HTH

 Shridhar

Re: Spanning tables

От
Jerome Macaranas
Дата:
Im using 7.3.4 is there another way?

--

Jerome Macaranas
Systems/Network Administrator

DISCLAIMER: This Message may contain confidential information intended only
for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If
you received this message in error please notify your Mail Administrator and
those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of
GMA New Media, Inc.

Re: Spanning tables

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 02:04:08PM +0800, Jerome Macaranas wrote:
> On Monday 13 December 2004 14:52, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> >
> > You could use tablespaces in postgresql 8.0..
>
> Im using 7.3.4 is there another way?

See my earlier followup in this thread:

http://search.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-12/msg00534.php

Here are links to the referenced documentation for 7.3:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/manage-ag-alternate-locs.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/app-initlocation.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/sql-createdatabase.html

I'd recommend testing this before doing it on a production server.
I've never done it myself so I don't know if there are any potential
problems.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Spanning tables

От
JM
Дата:
hi,

    i cant afford to move the database to another location.. i will still end up
on lack of disk space.. i was thinking if theres a way in version 7.3.4 to
move tables on a different partition or when ever i create new tables it
automatically create files on a diff partition..

tia,