Обсуждение: Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql (was: comp.databases.postgresql.*)

Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql (was: comp.databases.postgresql.*)

От
Mike Cox
Jan Wieck wrote:

> On 12/3/2004 3:32 PM, Woodchuck Bill wrote:
>
>> jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote in

>> Yes.

>> Why would the comp.* group be the wrong group? Just an additional
>> resource. The proponent said that he would post weekly pointers about the
>> pgsql.* hierarchy to the comp.* group, but expecting him to post
>> something negative about the comp.* group is asking too much of him. This
>> group is not meant to be a competing resource..it is just another
>> channel, and another plug for the open-source community. Stop treating it
>> like a bad thing.
>>
>> You are insulting non-developer advanced pgsql.* users that would be
>> using the comp.* group by inferring that only the developers are capable
>> of answering questions. Do the Oracle developers, or MSsql developers
>> participate in the respective comp.* groups for their products? Most
>> probably not. Are those newsgroups extremely useful resources for users
>> of those products? Very much so.
>
> I didn't say that only developers are capable of that.
>
> Since the mailing list to comp.databases.postgresql.general gating was
> stopped over a week ago, there has been zero communication on that
> newsgroup.

From what I understand, it is impossible to post to that newsgroup now.  In
google it says the groups are not archived anymore and the post function is
disabled.

I never got the comp.databases.postgresql.* groups from my newsprovider so I
cannot guess if that is the case with other news providers.  But I surmise
that it is also true in their case.

What I think has happened is that the gateway is sending all posts to that
group to pgsql.*.

>I guess, that currently all of the developers and advanced
> users are either on the mailing list or using the pgsql.* groups.
>
> And since there are no forums at all where you have direct access to
> Oracle or MSSql developers, this isn't exactly what I call a good
> example. Would they still be that usefull if like in our case all
> developers, experienced dba's and advanced users would be on oracle.* or
> microsoft.* groups already?
>
> So how exactly do you think that big number of non-developer advanced
> PostgreSQL users will populate the comp.* groups? I don't see them there
> right now, and without them the comp.* groups are the wrong groups
> because you will not get answers to questions there.

Look at this poll.

http://scripts.postgresql.org/survey.php?View=1&SurveyID=36

Mike Cox wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
>
>> On 12/3/2004 3:32 PM, Woodchuck Bill wrote:
>>
>>> jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote in

If you want more news servers to carry pgsql.*, consider emailing
news@individual.net, and request them to carry pgsql.*.

I've already emailed them, and hopefully if we get enough people asking,
they will add the groups.

Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql (was:

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Mike Cox wrote:

> If you want more news servers to carry pgsql.*, consider emailing
> news@individual.net, and request them to carry pgsql.*.

I've done one better ... I email'd and arranged a direct peerage between
our servers, so that the groups are there, and all articles available ...

----

Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
On 12/3/2004 4:12 PM, Mike Cox wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> So how exactly do you think that big number of non-developer advanced
>> PostgreSQL users will populate the comp.* groups? I don't see them there
>> right now, and without them the comp.* groups are the wrong groups
>> because you will not get answers to questions there.
>
> Look at this poll.
>
> http://scripts.postgresql.org/survey.php?View=1&SurveyID=36

The question is only about _an official newsgroup_. To contradict my
statement above, the survey question would have to ask about _an
official comp.* group NOT gated to the mailing lists_. And it would also
have to point out who already said very clearly that and why they would
stay on the mailing lists only.

Interpreting this survey result as

"a large number of experienced and advanced PostgreSQL users would
consider to move to a newsgroup where their questions will not be read
by Tom Lane, Stephen Szabo (and many other key players who said NO to
this on the mailing list already)"

is IMHO a too far strech.

Jan