Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql (was: comp.databases.postgresql.*)

От Mike Cox
Тема Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql (was: comp.databases.postgresql.*)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jan Wieck wrote:

> On 12/3/2004 3:32 PM, Woodchuck Bill wrote:
>
>> jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote in

>> Yes.

>> Why would the comp.* group be the wrong group? Just an additional
>> resource. The proponent said that he would post weekly pointers about the
>> pgsql.* hierarchy to the comp.* group, but expecting him to post
>> something negative about the comp.* group is asking too much of him. This
>> group is not meant to be a competing resource..it is just another
>> channel, and another plug for the open-source community. Stop treating it
>> like a bad thing.
>>
>> You are insulting non-developer advanced pgsql.* users that would be
>> using the comp.* group by inferring that only the developers are capable
>> of answering questions. Do the Oracle developers, or MSsql developers
>> participate in the respective comp.* groups for their products? Most
>> probably not. Are those newsgroups extremely useful resources for users
>> of those products? Very much so.
>
> I didn't say that only developers are capable of that.
>
> Since the mailing list to comp.databases.postgresql.general gating was
> stopped over a week ago, there has been zero communication on that
> newsgroup.

From what I understand, it is impossible to post to that newsgroup now.  In
google it says the groups are not archived anymore and the post function is
disabled.

I never got the comp.databases.postgresql.* groups from my newsprovider so I
cannot guess if that is the case with other news providers.  But I surmise
that it is also true in their case.

What I think has happened is that the gateway is sending all posts to that
group to pgsql.*.

>I guess, that currently all of the developers and advanced
> users are either on the mailing list or using the pgsql.* groups.
>
> And since there are no forums at all where you have direct access to
> Oracle or MSSql developers, this isn't exactly what I call a good
> example. Would they still be that usefull if like in our case all
> developers, experienced dba's and advanced users would be on oracle.* or
> microsoft.* groups already?
>
> So how exactly do you think that big number of non-developer advanced
> PostgreSQL users will populate the comp.* groups? I don't see them there
> right now, and without them the comp.* groups are the wrong groups
> because you will not get answers to questions there.

Look at this poll.

http://scripts.postgresql.org/survey.php?View=1&SurveyID=36