Обсуждение: Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
Woodchuck Bill
Дата:
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote in

>> The UDP would be aimed at the news server(s) at which the mailing list
>> is being improperly gated.  It is their responsibility to reject
>> improper traffic.  As these same servers would also likely carry the
>> group in question, I have serious doubts that they would remove them
>> without the threat of a UDP hanging over their head.  Whether just the
>> group is blacklisted or the entire server would be the subject of
>> another thread entirely.
>
> If someone actually seriously tries to do this, I will personally offer
> that news server a feed to break the UDP.

If you're willing to do that, then you should just issue the control
messages for all 21 groups right now. Why would you want to block others
from trying to hold a net abuser accountable? For the UDP to be successful,
it would take more than two proponents. You would really override the
outcome?

[I'm really not trying to flame Marc by calling him a net abuser, but isn't
that the category he would fall under, in all seriousness? You are giving
him the chance to fix his past mistakes. He won't enter the news.groups
discussion, and he stated that he will not break up *any* of the rogue
groups if the CFV fails.]

> Now, please try to tone down the level of confrontation and act like
> adults, okay?

It was Marc who set the tone, by claiming that the rogue groups will
continue to operate as they currently do, regardless of the CFV outcome.

--
Bill

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
Woodchuck Bill
Дата:
ru.igarashi@usask.ca wrote in news:cmr97f$t29$1@tribune.usask.ca:

> That's his perogative.  His server, his rules (or whoever's he set the
> groups up on).  We don't have the right to dictate what groups he puts
> on his news server.  If someone else decides to take a feed from him
> and allow the group on their server, same story, their server, their
> rules.  That kind of independence is at the foundation of usenet.
> While I may be displeased that the bogus groups exist, I'm similarly
> not going to be supportive of moves to dictate what groups he puts
> on his server.

Those groups are propagated to *other* servers, and they confuse lots of
people into thinking that they are bonafide Big-8 groups. Even Google is
either confused or careless about the status of those groups. If the NAN
team announces a reversal of the rec.woodworking.all-ages result in the
next few days, would you have any problem with the proponents sending out a
control message anyway? Archiving the rogue group in Google Groups? If
nothing else, taking no steps toward action sets a bad example, and might
encourage others to skip the RFD and create more rogue groups.

--
Bill

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
Woodchuck Bill
Дата:
ru.igarashi@usask.ca wrote in news:cmr97f$t29$1@tribune.usask.ca:

> Who's being abused here?  Russ & Co.?  By their own admission, no.
> The Big-8?  No, the groups don't exist in the Big-8?  The existing
> readers?  No, they can read the group.  The rest of the world?  No
> more so than those that don't have groups specifically for their
> pet interests, which as far as we are concerned is not sufficient
> harm to act upon.  The Big-8 process is partly predicated on only
> providing groups for those with sufficient numbers, and since
> the latter has not been established, there's no such harm.  Even
> then, if the CFV results in a pass, everyone that cares benefits,
> and if the CFV results in a failure, the rest of the world doesn't
> matter (until they can build up sufficient numbers to pass the
> next time).

OK, so you think it is acceptable for anyone to create as many Big-8 rogue
groups as they like? Some servers will carry the groups, others will not.
There should be no accountability for someone doing this. There is nothing
wrong with it.

--
Bill

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
ru.igarashi@usask.ca
Дата:
Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote in

>>> The UDP would be aimed at the news server(s) at which the mailing list
>>> is being improperly gated.  It is their responsibility to reject
>>> improper traffic.  As these same servers would also likely carry the
>>> group in question, I have serious doubts that they would remove them
>>> without the threat of a UDP hanging over their head.  Whether just the
>>> group is blacklisted or the entire server would be the subject of
>>> another thread entirely.
>>
>> If someone actually seriously tries to do this, I will personally offer
>> that news server a feed to break the UDP.

>If you're willing to do that, then you should just issue the control
>messages for all 21 groups right now. Why would you want to block others
>from trying to hold a net abuser accountable? For the UDP to be successful,
>it would take more than two proponents. You would really override the
>outcome?

Who's being abused here?  Russ & Co.?  By their own admission, no.
The Big-8?  No, the groups don't exist in the Big-8?  The existing
readers?  No, they can read the group.  The rest of the world?  No
more so than those that don't have groups specifically for their
pet interests, which as far as we are concerned is not sufficient
harm to act upon.  The Big-8 process is partly predicated on only
providing groups for those with sufficient numbers, and since
the latter has not been established, there's no such harm.  Even
then, if the CFV results in a pass, everyone that cares benefits,
and if the CFV results in a failure, the rest of the world doesn't
matter (until they can build up sufficient numbers to pass the
next time).

>> Now, please try to tone down the level of confrontation and act like
>> adults, okay?

>It was Marc who set the tone, by claiming that the rogue groups will
>continue to operate as they currently do, regardless of the CFV outcome.

That's his perogative.  His server, his rules (or whoever's he set the
groups up on).  We don't have the right to dictate what groups he puts
on his news server.  If someone else decides to take a feed from him
and allow the group on their server, same story, their server, their
rules.  That kind of independence is at the foundation of usenet.
While I may be displeased that the bogus groups exist, I'm similarly
not going to be supportive of moves to dictate what groups he puts
on his server.

ru

--
My standard proposals rant:
Quality, usefulness, merit, or non-newsgroups popularity of a topic

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
"Devin L. Ganger"
Дата:
On 9 Nov 2004 20:36:47 GMT, Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  OK, so you think it is acceptable for anyone to create as many Big-8 rogue
>  groups as they like? Some servers will carry the groups, others will not.
>  There should be no accountability for someone doing this. There is nothing
>  wrong with it.

It is PERFECTLY acceptable for a server owner to configure their news
server to use whatever groups they wish. Nobody owns the Big 8 namespace;
nobody can force news admins to adhere to a single common version.

Russ et al offer an *advisory* service. That's all the Big-8 really is.
Commonly followed advice, yes, but advice nonetheless.

It would be nice if the admins who were using these feeds configured their
systems to only exchange these groups with other like-minded admins, given
the potential for confusion, but the failure to do so is NOT abuse of the
network.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin@thecabal.org>
"Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
Marcel Beaudoin
Дата:
Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com> wrote in

> OK, so you think it is acceptable for anyone to create as many Big-8
> rogue groups as they like? Some servers will carry the groups, others
> will not. There should be no accountability for someone doing this.
> There is nothing wrong with it.

I think that the question is will the "rogue" groups being created do a
significant amount of damage to the rest of usenet that a UDP is warranted.
In this case, recommending a UDP for a set of groups that is, from what I
can tell, pretty much self-contained, sorta like using a shotgun to open a
peanut.  It does the job but is way out of scale.
--
Marcel

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
Brian Edmonds
Дата:
Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com> writes:
> If the NAN team announces a reversal of the rec.woodworking.all-ages
> result in the next few days, would you have any problem with the
> proponents sending out a control message anyway?

The proponents are entirely welcome to do so, so long as they send it
in their own name(s).  That's the way Usenet is supposed to work.
Operationally their control messages will be ignored at many to most
sites, as those site admins have chosen to follow the NAN Big-8 group
list.  That's also the way Usenet is supposed to work.

If they consulted with me in advance, I would not recommend it, since
so far as I have been able to determine, groups which go through the
NAN process get better distribution than those which do not.  If it
was better, or even equivalent, to be a "rogue" group, then we would
not have these discussions about the scrapbooks group and now the
PostgreSQL groups.

> Archiving the rogue group in Google Groups?

Google is a private site, they can carry whatever groups and whatever
content they wish to.  That is the way Usenet is supposed to work.

> If nothing else, taking no steps toward action sets a bad example,
> and might encourage others to skip the RFD and create more rogue
> groups.

As Russ has pointed out more than once, if so called "rogue" groups
are equally successful as groups that go through the NAN process, this
exposes a problem with the NAN process, not the rogue groups.

Brian.

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
ru.igarashi@usask.ca
Дата:
Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com> wrote:
>ru.igarashi@usask.ca wrote in news:cmr97f$t29$1@tribune.usask.ca:

>> That's his perogative.  His server, his rules (or whoever's he set the
>> groups up on).  We don't have the right to dictate what groups he puts
>> on his news server.  If someone else decides to take a feed from him
>> and allow the group on their server, same story, their server, their
>> rules.  That kind of independence is at the foundation of usenet.
>> While I may be displeased that the bogus groups exist, I'm similarly
>> not going to be supportive of moves to dictate what groups he puts
>> on his server.

>Those groups are propagated to *other* servers, and they confuse lots of
>people into thinking that they are bonafide Big-8 groups.

I realize that, and that is part of the basis for my objection to
folks creating bogus newsgroups.  But the fact remains that it's
their server, and thus, their rules.

>Even Google is
>either confused or careless about the status of those groups.

Google is just one of those services that doesn't give a damn, and
thus exercising their perogative, just like any number of servers
that wish to collect as many groups as they can.

>If the NAN
>team announces a reversal of the rec.woodworking.all-ages result in the
>next few days, would you have any problem with the proponents sending out a
>control message anyway?

That's a separate, though related, matter.  If the proponents owned
or had access to a server and decided to create r.w.a-a, that's
their perogative.  If they wish to spread r.w.a-a, well, that turns
out to be their perogative, too.  Anyone is allowed to do this.
It's totally up to rest of the news server admins to honor or reject
the newgroup.  Again, their server, their rules.  I wouldn't be
happy about it, but I'm not going to force them to do otherwise.

>Archiving the rogue group in Google Groups?

Google's choice.

>If
>nothing else, taking no steps toward action sets a bad example, and might
>encourage others to skip the RFD and create more rogue groups.

As Russ & Co. say, if it comes to that, then 1) the existing process
deserves to be ignored, 2) news admins have voted with their feet
and decided to go with another process, or found a better way.  I
don't like the idea of being bypassed, but they are right.  It's our
job to find ways to make "non-bogus groups" more attractive.  This
process has always been predicated on voluntary acceptance of the
results.  I don't think Russ & Co are willing to abandon that
philosophy, even if it means the (deserved) demise of the Big-8
process.

ru

--
My standard proposals rant:
Quality, usefulness, merit, or non-newsgroups popularity of a topic
is more or less irrelevant in creating a new Big-8 newsgroup.
Usenet popularity is the primary consideration.

Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

От
Rebecca Ore
Дата:
In article <Xns959C804EC266Abswr607h4@130.133.1.4>,
 Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so you think it is acceptable for anyone to create as many Big-8 rogue
> groups as they like? Some servers will carry the groups, others will not.
> There should be no accountability for someone doing this. There is nothing
> wrong with it.

Almost no servers create every group from every control message.  Many
servers add groups that their customers request if there's a valid
control message somewhere, or if the group is carried by Google.