Обсуждение: Lost databases

Lost databases

От
Liviu BURCUSEL
Дата:
Hi !

I'm in the ultimate state of dispair. Over the night some of my
databases just disapeared. But they did not dissaper totally. I can
still connect to them but I cannot dump them. When doing a "select *
from pg_database" I see only 2 databases I hardly ever use (they are
used once in a couple of mounths). Template0 and template1 are missing.
All the databases that I currently use dissapeared!

Please help me to restore the integrity of the system. I'm in dense fog
here :(

Liviu

Re: Lost databases

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
Let's start with the version of postgresql you're using.
Next, were you running VACUUM FULL regularly?

It sounds like XID wraparound to me, no idea how to solve that. Got
backups?

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 12:56:33PM +0200, Liviu BURCUSEL wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm in the ultimate state of dispair. Over the night some of my
> databases just disapeared. But they did not dissaper totally. I can
> still connect to them but I cannot dump them. When doing a "select *
> from pg_database" I see only 2 databases I hardly ever use (they are
> used once in a couple of mounths). Template0 and template1 are missing.
> All the databases that I currently use dissapeared!
>
> Please help me to restore the integrity of the system. I'm in dense fog
> here :(
>
> Liviu

Re: Lost databases

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
--- Liviu BURCUSEL <liviu@voxline.ro> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm in the ultimate state of dispair. Over the night
> some of my
> databases just disapeared. But they did not dissaper
> totally. I can
> still connect to them but I cannot dump them. When
> doing a "select *
> from pg_database" I see only 2 databases I hardly
> ever use (they are
> used once in a couple of mounths). Template0 and
> template1 are missing.
> All the databases that I currently use dissapeared!
>
> Please help me to restore the integrity of the
> system. I'm in dense fog
> here :(

What Postgresql version is this?  Your problem sounds
like "oid wraparound".  There was a recent discussion
of this on the list; try the list archives to see what
was recommended in that case.

> Liviu
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

Re: Lost databases

От
Liviu BURCUSEL
Дата:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:11:01 -0800 (PST)
Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Liviu BURCUSEL <liviu@voxline.ro> wrote:
>
> > Hi !
> >
> > I'm in the ultimate state of dispair. Over the night
> > some of my
> > databases just disapeared. But they did not dissaper
> > totally. I can
> > still connect to them but I cannot dump them. When
> > doing a "select *
> > from pg_database" I see only 2 databases I hardly
> > ever use (they are
> > used once in a couple of mounths). Template0 and
> > template1 are missing.
> > All the databases that I currently use dissapeared!
> >
> > Please help me to restore the integrity of the
> > system. I'm in dense fog
> > here :(
>
> What Postgresql version is this?  Your problem sounds
> like "oid wraparound".  There was a recent discussion
> of this on the list; try the list archives to see what
> was recommended in that case.

The Postgresql version is 7.4.1

Thanks. I'll look in the archive.

Liviu

Re: Lost databases

От
Kostis Mentzelos
Дата:
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Let's start with the version of postgresql you're using.
> Next, were you running VACUUM FULL regularly?
>
> It sounds like XID wraparound to me, no idea how to solve that. Got
> backups?
>
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 12:56:33PM +0200, Liviu BURCUSEL wrote:
>
>>Hi !
>>
>>I'm in the ultimate state of dispair. Over the night some of my
>>databases just disapeared. But they did not dissaper totally. I can
>>still connect to them but I cannot dump them. When doing a "select *
>>from pg_database" I see only 2 databases I hardly ever use (they are
>>used once in a couple of mounths). Template0 and template1 are missing.
>>All the databases that I currently use dissapeared!
>>
>>Please help me to restore the integrity of the system. I'm in dense fog
>>here :(
>>
>>Liviu

>>TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Only VACUUM FULL solves XID wraparound problem? I mean VACUUM FULL locks
the entire table.

How can I test if I am close to XID wraparround?

Kostis

Re: Lost databases

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
Look at the documentation here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/maintenance.html

The upshot is that you should vacuum every table in the database at
least once every billion transaction. It doesn't have to be a VACUUM
FULL, just run VACUUM without specifying a table.

There's some info in there about how to work out when it is necessary.

Hope this helps,