Обсуждение: 8.0 questions

8.0 questions

От
Artem Litvinovich
Дата:
Dear postgres community,

I would like to know what are the significant changes and new features
introduced in Postgres 8.0 which warranted the major version number
increment. From the postres website it is not very clear as I can only
find technical changelogs for the beta releases.

//Artem

Re: 8.0 questions

От
Robby Russell
Дата:
On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:48 -0400, Artem Litvinovich wrote:
> Dear postgres community,
>
> I would like to know what are the significant changes and new features
> introduced in Postgres 8.0 which warranted the major version number
> increment. From the postres website it is not very clear as I can only
> find technical changelogs for the beta releases.
>
> //Artem

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

I think that if you look in the postgresql advocacy list archives, it
was first mentioned by Josh Berkus as to why the change to 8.0

voila:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2004-08/msg00022.php

hth,

Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development

Re: 8.0 questions

Дата:
Robby Russell <robby@planetargon.com> writes:
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:48 -0400, Artem Litvinovich wrote:
>> I would like to know what are the significant changes and new features
>> introduced in Postgres 8.0 which warranted the major version number
>> increment.

> I think that if you look in the postgresql advocacy list archives, it
> was first mentioned by Josh Berkus as to why the change to 8.0
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2004-08/msg00022.php

Also see

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release.html#RELEASE-8-0

            regards, tom lane

Re: 8.0 questions

От
"Thomas Madsen"
Дата:
Hi!

A quite impressive list of changes in version 8.0.0. ...

But the question from me is: When is it done?

We have a lot of 7.2.5 versions running which badly needs an update, but
if version 8.0.0 comes in the near future, we could surely hold out a
while longer and go for the top of the line.
I'm not asking for a specified date but do we have to wait until next
year or is it just a couple months or shorter away ?

Best regars,
Thomas M. Madsen.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: 8.0 questions

От
David Garamond
Дата:
Thomas Madsen wrote:
> A quite impressive list of changes in version 8.0.0. ...
>
> But the question from me is: When is it done?

Two words: Nobody knows. Beta cycle is usually at least 2-3 months.
First beta is in Aug. So a release is probably Nov at the earliest.

> We have a lot of 7.2.5 versions running which badly needs an update, but
> if version 8.0.0 comes in the near future, we could surely hold out a
> while longer and go for the top of the line.

Unless you need a specific feature of 8.0 (savepoint, PITR, migration to
Windows :)), it's generally recommended to use 7.4.5. 8.0's previous
name was 7.5 and it was renamed to X.0 to reflect the fact that it is
not believed to be more robust than 7.4.

--
dave

Re: 8.0 questions

От
Gaetano Mendola
Дата:
David Garamond wrote:
> Thomas Madsen wrote:
>
>> A quite impressive list of changes in version 8.0.0. ...
>>
>> But the question from me is: When is it done?
>

> Two words: Nobody knows. Beta cycle is usually at least 2-3 months.
> First beta is in Aug. So a release is probably Nov at the earliest.
>
>> We have a lot of 7.2.5 versions running which badly needs an update, but
>> if version 8.0.0 comes in the near future, we could surely hold out a
>> while longer and go for the top of the line.
>

> Unless you need a specific feature of 8.0 (savepoint, PITR, migration to
> Windows :)), it's generally recommended to use 7.4.5. 8.0's previous
> name was 7.5 and it was renamed to X.0 to reflect the fact that it is
> not believed to be more robust than 7.4.

Wait wait. All X.0 version are not believed more robust then Y.Z with
Y < X and Z >> 0

Anyway is a general consensus that the win32 8.0 version is not more robust
than his counterpart *nix 8.0  this because lot of code already mature in *nix
environment is new in the win32 one.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: 8.0 questions

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:

> > We have a lot of 7.2.5 versions running which badly needs an update, but
> > if version 8.0.0 comes in the near future, we could surely hold out a
> > while longer and go for the top of the line.
>
> Unless you need a specific feature of 8.0 (savepoint, PITR, migration to
> Windows :)), it's generally recommended to use 7.4.5. 8.0's previous name was
> 7.5 and it was renamed to X.0 to reflect the fact that it is not believed to be
> more robust than 7.4.

Another reason to move to 7.4.5 would be that each version introduced changes
in behaviour. You're going to be dealing with minor headaches from things like
'' not being a valid integer any more (it used to parse as 0 now it's an
error). It'll be easier to do that in two steps than to deal with them all at
once.

--
greg

Re: 8.0 questions

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:

GS> David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:

GS> Another reason to move to 7.4.5 would be that each version
GS> introduced changes in behaviour. You're going to be dealing with
GS> minor headaches from things like '' not being a valid integer any
GS> more (it used to parse as 0 now it's an error). It'll be easier to
GS> do that in two steps than to deal with them all at once.

I disagree.  If you're in your app and need to modify code, it is
easier to make all the changes at once and regression test them, than
do it twice: you're testing workload is likely to be more if you split
the changes.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD  +1-301-869-4449 x806
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: 8.0 questions

От
David Garamond
Дата:
Vivek Khera wrote:

> GS> David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:
>
> GS> Another reason to move to 7.4.5 would be that each version
> GS> introduced changes in behaviour. You're going to be dealing with
> GS> minor headaches from things like '' not being a valid integer any
> GS> more (it used to parse as 0 now it's an error). It'll be easier to
> GS> do that in two steps than to deal with them all at once.
>
> I disagree.  If you're in your app and need to modify code, it is
> easier to make all the changes at once and regression test them, than
> do it twice: you're testing workload is likely to be more if you split
> the changes.

That depends whether you actually want to modify your app code or
whether you just want to upgrade the db software.

Also, it depends on how much stability you want in the production
environment. I personally would still trust 7.4.5 if I want the minimum
amount of headache. True, testing twice (one for 7.4.5 and one for 8.0)
might total in more workload, but potentially has the least amount of
downtime possibility.

--
dave