Re: 8.0 questions

От David Garamond
Тема Re: 8.0 questions
Дата
Re: 8.0 questions  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Список pgsql-general
Thomas Madsen wrote:
> A quite impressive list of changes in version 8.0.0. ...
>
> But the question from me is: When is it done?

Two words: Nobody knows. Beta cycle is usually at least 2-3 months.
First beta is in Aug. So a release is probably Nov at the earliest.

> We have a lot of 7.2.5 versions running which badly needs an update, but
> if version 8.0.0 comes in the near future, we could surely hold out a
> while longer and go for the top of the line.

Unless you need a specific feature of 8.0 (savepoint, PITR, migration to
Windows :)), it's generally recommended to use 7.4.5. 8.0's previous
name was 7.5 and it was renamed to X.0 to reflect the fact that it is
not believed to be more robust than 7.4.

--
dave