Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL

Re: [HACKERS] OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 06:33, stig erikson wrote:
> Hello.
> i have an slightly off topic question, but i hope that somebody might know.
>
> at the moment we have a database on a MS SQL 7 server.
> This data will be transfered to PostgreSQL 7.4.5 or PostgreSQL 8 (when
> it is released). so far so good.
>
> the question now arises, this current database is used in web
> application made with ASP on IIS5. The idea is to move the database and
> the application to a linux or unix environment. Is there a tool that can
> be used convert ASP pages into PHP (or any other language suitable for
> linux/unix), or should we prepare to rewrite most of the code?
>
> Is there a tool, some add-in to apache perhaps that can run ASP code on
> linux/unix, this would help to have the system running while we recode
> the application.

There are a few tools I've seen that will try to convert ASP to PHP, but
for the most part, they can't handle very complex code, so you're
probably better off just rewriting it and learning PHP on the way.

By the way, I have moved this over to -general, as this is quite off
topic for -hackers.  Next person to reply please remove the
pgsql-hackers address from the CC list please.

Re: [HACKERS] OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL

От
"Gary Doades"
Дата:
On 3 Oct 2004 at 11:24, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 06:33, stig erikson wrote:
> There are a few tools I've seen that will try to convert ASP to PHP, but
> for the most part, they can't handle very complex code, so you're
> probably better off just rewriting it and learning PHP on the way.
>
> By the way, I have moved this over to -general, as this is quite off
> topic for -hackers.  Next person to reply please remove the
> pgsql-hackers address from the CC list please.

Also you might want to try converting it to ASP.NET. If you use the
mono packages you can run ASP.NET on Windows and Linux/Unix with
very little change (if any).

I have done this just fine with some C# ASP.NET stuff using Apache,
PostgreSQL and mod-mono. Just needed recompilation because mono
doesn't understand the debug stuff the MS produces. Otherwise no
changes.

Cheers,
Gary.

Re: [HACKERS] OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
On P, 2004-10-03 at 20:24, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 06:33, stig erikson wrote:
> > Is there a tool, some add-in to apache perhaps that can run ASP code on
> > linux/unix, this would help to have the system running while we recode
> > the application.
>
> There are a few tools I've seen that will try to convert ASP to PHP, but
> for the most part, they can't handle very complex code, so you're
> probably better off just rewriting it and learning PHP on the way.
>
> By the way, I have moved this over to -general, as this is quite off
> topic for -hackers.  Next person to reply please remove the
> pgsql-hackers address from the CC list please.

If you are adventurous you could also try to run ASP.NET on Mono as
described in:
http://www.pcquest.com/content/search/showarticle.asp?arid=47162&way=search

Hannu

Re: [HACKERS] OT moving from MS SQL to PostgreSQL

От
Edwin Grubbs
Дата:
You could use Sun's ASP engine which was originally produced by chilisoft.

http://wwws.sun.com/software/chilisoft/

-Edwin