Обсуждение: resilient transactions

resilient transactions

От
Paramveer.Singh@trilogy.com
Дата:
Hi all!
Apologies for sending this mail but some time back there was a thread on
supporting resilient transactions - i.e. transactions which do not roll
back if one query in 100 fails.
This was thought to be useful in case someone is typing on the psql prompt
and makes a spelling mistake. I would like to know what was the result of
that thread.
I tried searching in postgres-general but could not find it.
Can anyone point out the link to me?

thanks a lot
paramveer singh

Re: resilient transactions

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Sep 7, 2004, at 3:35 AM, Paramveer.Singh@trilogy.com wrote:

> Hi all!
> Apologies for sending this mail but some time back there was a thread
> on
> supporting resilient transactions - i.e. transactions which do not roll
> back if one query in 100 fails.

transactions can either entirely succeed or entirely fail, there is no
"sometimes".  Any discussion or even patches that do change that will
be rejected immediately (Well, I'm simply assuming they will. I think
myself and many others would be mighty surprised if a patch like that
got applied!)

PG 8.0 introduces a feature called savepoints which allows you to trap
errors inside a transaction (and also rollback parts of the
transaction, etc.)  You may want to look into that.

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-savepoint.html

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/