Обсуждение: possible memory leak in 8.0 beta 1

possible memory leak in 8.0 beta 1

От
Shelby Cain
Дата:
This is under Windows 2000 SP4 using the beta1
installer package.  If I create the following table:

CREATE TABLE test1
(
  idnbr int4 NOT NULL,
  num1 numeric(12,2),
  num2 numeric(12,2),
  text1 varchar(600),
  CONSTRAINT test1_idnbr_key UNIQUE (idnbr)
)
WITH OIDS;

and then use the following perl script to generate a
test data insert script:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $ct=0;
open(FILE,">inserts.sql");
print FILE "truncate test1;\n";
print FILE "begin;\n";

while ($ct<100000)
{
  print FILE "insert into test1(idnbr, num1, num2,
text1) values (";
  print FILE $ct.",";
  print FILE int(rand(100)).".".int(rand(100)).",";
  print FILE int(rand(100)).".".int(rand(100)).",";
  print FILE "'";
  my $width = 20;
  while ($width>0)
  {
    print FILE int(rand(999));
    $width--;
  }
  print FILE "');"."\n";
  $ct++;
}
print FILE "commit;\n";
close(FILE);

When I execute this script inside a fresh psql session
via "\i inserts.sql" I can watch the working set size
of the backend climb at a rate of approximately 500k
to 1meg per second up until the script finishes.  At
this point, the backend servicing the psql session has
grown to have a working set size of almost 100 megs or
so.  Executing the script a second time and/or
executing other commands in the same session after the
initial "bloating" period cause virtually no change in
the working set size of the backend.

I can replicate the behavior from both the 8.0 beta1
native win32 psql client and the cygwin 7.4.x psql
client.

Regards,

Shelby Cain

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: possible memory leak in 8.0 beta 1

От
Shelby Cain
Дата:
--- Shelby Cain <alyandon@yahoo.com> wrote:

[stuff about memory leaking snipped]

I see the following in the beta 2 changelog:

* src/backend/: access/transam/xact.c,
utils/mmgr/portalmem.c, utils/resowner/README,
utils/resowner/resowner.c: Revise ResourceOwner code
to avoid accumulating ResourceOwner objects for every
command executed within a transaction.  For long
transactions this was a significant memory leak.
Instead, we can delete a portal's or subtransaction's
ResourceOwner immediately, if we physically transfer
the information about its locks up to the parent
owner.  This does not fully solve the leak problem; we
need to do something about counting multiple
acquisitions of the same lock in order to fix it.  But
it's a necessary step along the way.

Is this what I'm seeing?

Regards,

Shelby Cain

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: possible memory leak in 8.0 beta 1

Дата:
Shelby Cain <alyandon@yahoo.com> writes:
> This is under Windows 2000 SP4 using the beta1
> installer package.

I believe this is fixed in beta2.  It looks like the too-many-locks
problem ...

            regards, tom lane