Обсуждение: Dump and Restore

Dump and Restore

От
"Eduardo S. Fontanetti"
Дата:
How can I do a test if my dumping is really working, I
can't apply the dump in my database, because it will
overwrite a lot of data. I was thinking about restore
in another database name, but I can't, it always
restore on the original database.

Somebody have a cooking recipe about to test if my
backup is working fine, and will help if I need
sometime?

Thanks for all of you!

Eduardo S. Fontanetti

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - navegue de graça com conexão de qualidade!
http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/

Re: Dump and Restore

От
Secrétariat
Дата:
One way is to create another instance of your PG server,
using a different PGDATA path.
So your actual data won't be overwriten.

Luc

> How can I do a test if my dumping is really working, I
> can't apply the dump in my database, because it will
> overwrite a lot of data. I was thinking about restore
> in another database name, but I can't, it always
> restore on the original database.
>
> Somebody have a cooking recipe about to test if my
> backup is working fine, and will help if I need
> sometime?
>
> Thanks for all of you!
>
> Eduardo S. Fontanetti

Re: Dump and Restore

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 24/08/2004 14:40 Eduardo S. Fontanetti wrote:
> How can I do a test if my dumping is really working, I
> can't apply the dump in my database, because it will
> overwrite a lot of data. I was thinking about restore
> in another database name, but I can't, it always
> restore on the original database.
>
> Somebody have a cooking recipe about to test if my
> backup is working fine, and will help if I need
> sometime?

Are you using pg_dump or pg_dumpall? I just use pg_dump on individual
databases (pg_dumpall works on the whole cluster) and can restore that to
any database.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: [ADMIN] Dump and Restore

От
"Thilina Gunasekara"
Дата:
Assuming you're using Unix Box
1. Dump your database DB_X
pg_dump -v -U postgresUsername DB_X | gzip -f - > DB_X.gz

2.Create database DB_Y
psql -U postgresUsername template1
CREATE DATABASE DB_Y
\q

3. zcat DB_X.gz | psql -U postgresUsername -f - DB_Y

Thilina

On 24/08/2004 14:40 Eduardo S. Fontanetti wrote:
> How can I do a test if my dumping is really working, I
> can't apply the dump in my database, because it will
> overwrite a lot of data. I was thinking about restore
> in another database name, but I can't, it always
> restore on the original database.
>
> Somebody have a cooking recipe about to test if my
> backup is working fine, and will help if I need
> sometime?

Are you using pg_dump or pg_dumpall? I just use pg_dump on individual
databases (pg_dumpall works on the whole cluster) and can restore that to
any database.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
+------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
-+
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |
+------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
-+

Re: Dump and Restore

От
Ron St-Pierre
Дата:
Eduardo S. Fontanetti wrote:

>How can I do a test if my dumping is really working, I
>can't apply the dump in my database, because it will
>overwrite a lot of data. I was thinking about restore
>in another database name, but I can't, it always
>restore on the original database.
>
>Somebody have a cooking recipe about to test if my
>backup is working fine, and will help if I need
>sometime?

<snip>
OK here's a recipe:
If you're using  pg_dump as in:
    pg_dump dbName > fileName
create your new database:
   createdb myNewDB (don't forget your encoding)
and then restore from the dump:
   psql -d myNewDB -f fileName

Ron

Re: Dump and Restore

От
"Eduardo S. Fontanetti"
Дата:
I am using pg_dump.

It means that I can't restore to a different name
database??

Eduardo S. Fontanetti

 --- Paul Thomas <paul@tmsl.demon.co.uk> escreveu:

> On 24/08/2004 14:40 Eduardo S. Fontanetti wrote:
> > How can I do a test if my dumping is really
> working, I
> > can't apply the dump in my database, because it
> will
> > overwrite a lot of data. I was thinking about
> restore
> > in another database name, but I can't, it always
> > restore on the original database.
> >
> > Somebody have a cooking recipe about to test if my
> > backup is working fine, and will help if I need
> > sometime?
>
> Are you using pg_dump or pg_dumpall? I just use
> pg_dump on individual
> databases (pg_dumpall works on the whole cluster)
> and can restore that to
> any database.
>

> HTH
>
> --
> Paul Thomas

> | Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions
> for
> Business             |
> | Computer Consultants         |
> http://www.thomas-micro-systems-ltd.co.uk   |

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - navegue de graça com conexão de qualidade!
http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/

Re: Dump and Restore

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 17:36, Eduardo S. Fontanetti wrote:
> I am using pg_dump.
>
> It means that I can't restore to a different name
> database??

If you use pg_dump[all] without other options it will dump to a text
file.  Just edit the database name.

     "I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the
      Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to
      the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before
      him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and
      a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages,
      should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting
      dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom
      that which shall not be destroyed."
                                    Daniel 7:13,14

Re: [ADMIN] Dump and Restore

От