Обсуждение: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

От
"Markus Seibold"
Дата:
Hi,

I am looking for an open source / free data modeling tool for PostgreSQL.

It should - if possible - support:
- E-R-Modelling
- relational data model / modeling
- GUI SQL interface to the database

Does anybody know some tools that match my criteria?

Thanks, Markus

--
Markus Seibold
------------------------------

Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

От
Randolf Richardson
Дата:
> I am looking for an open source / free data modeling tool for PostgreSQL.
>
> It should - if possible - support:
> - E-R-Modelling
> - relational data model / modeling
> - GUI SQL interface to the database
>
> Does anybody know some tools that match my criteria?

        The following may meet your needs:

                Druid, The Database Manager
                http://sourceforge.net/projects/druid/

        There's also a front-end tool for general database management (only
the GUI part, no modelling as far as I know) that you may find useful too:

                SQuirreL SQL Client
                http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/

        Both of these tools are open source, free, and as a bonus are written
100% in Java so they work on all major Operating Systems, PDAs, etc.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.

Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Vendredi 21 Novembre 2003 15:04, Markus Seibold a écrit :
> I am looking for an open source / free data modeling tool for PostgreSQL.

Dear Markus,

pgAdmin team was contacted lately by John McCawley <jmccawley@worleyco.com>
who is the developer of wxpgDesign, a very neat PostgreSQL design tool under
wxWindows.

The homepage can be found here:
http://www.hardgeus.com/projects/pgdesigner

We are hoping there may be plans for a collaboration with pgAdmin.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel

Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

От
Unihost Web Hosting
Дата:
I saw someone mention Druid on here a week or two ago, and thought I'd give it a go.  All I can say is it's great!!!  Who ever thought that my DBs would ever be documented correctly ;)

Druid is one of the most useful tools I've used to date. Bar none!

I use PGAdmin for all my administration needs.

Cheers

T.

Randolf Richardson wrote:
I am looking for an open source / free data modeling tool for PostgreSQL.

It should - if possible - support:
- E-R-Modelling
- relational data model / modeling
- GUI SQL interface to the database

Does anybody know some tools that match my criteria?
   	The following may meet your needs:
   	    	Druid, The Database Manager   	    	http://sourceforge.net/projects/druid/
   	There's also a front-end tool for general database management (only
the GUI part, no modelling as far as I know) that you may find useful too:
   	    	SQuirreL SQL Client   	    	http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/
   	Both of these tools are open source, free, and as a bonus are written
100% in Java so they work on all major Operating Systems, PDAs, etc.

Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

От
Horák Daniel
Дата:
> > I am looking for an open source / free data modeling tool
> for PostgreSQL.
>
> Dear Markus,
>
> pgAdmin team was contacted lately by John McCawley
> <jmccawley@worleyco.com>
> who is the developer of wxpgDesign, a very neat PostgreSQL
> design tool under
> wxWindows.
>
> The homepage can be found here:
> http://www.hardgeus.com/projects/pgdesigner
>
> We are hoping there may be plans for a collaboration with pgAdmin.

I am developing DataDesigner, which tries to be an open source, DB
independent, modelling tool. You can look at
http://www.danny.cz/datadesigner.en.html, SourceForge project is at
http://sf.net/projects/dbdesign

I think it could be useful to share at least ideas or code of pgdesigner
(the "schema" screenshot looks very good) and my DataDesigner ;-)

            Dan

Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Jeudi 27 Novembre 2003 14:53, Horák Daniel a écrit :
> I am developing DataDesigner, which tries to be an open source, DB
> independent, modelling tool. You can look at
> http://www.danny.cz/datadesigner.en.html, SourceForge project is at
> http://sf.net/projects/dbdesign
> I think it could be useful to share at least ideas or code of pgdesigner
> (the "schema" screenshot looks very good) and my DataDesigner ;-)

Dear Daniel,

All this seems very interesting. Doors are wide open at pgAdmin for John and
you to implement a powerfull data designer and distribute it in bundle with
pgAdmin.

Andreas and Dave have plans to release a pgAdmin suite including several
applications (administration, designer, etc...). Each application would stay
independant if needed.

This way, we could reach a large number of potential users under GNU/Linux,
Win32, FreeBSD and soon MacOSX, SunOS.

If you are interested, please visit http://www.pgadmin.org. I cross-post
pgAdmin mailing list in order to keep the address of your project in mind.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel Pouré

Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> > I am developing DataDesigner, which tries to be an open source, DB
> > independent, modelling tool. You can look at
>
> All this seems very interesting. Doors are wide open at pgAdmin for John and
> you to implement a powerfull data designer and distribute it in bundle with
> pgAdmin.

  Folks might also want to be aware of the Clay plug-in for Eclipse. Clay
supports a few dbms, of which postgres is one. I've used Clay for a couple
of projects and I like it. Check out
             <http://www.azzurri.jp/en/software/clay/index.jsp>

  Eclipse <http://www.eclipse.org/> rivals emacs for having everything,
including the kitchen sink. It's a great java IDE and works on different
OSes (including Microsoft's; for those who must).

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)

Re: Open source data modeling tools for PostgreSQL

От
Randolf Richardson
Дата:
[sNip]
>> Druid, The Database Manager
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/druid/
[sNip]
> I saw someone mention Druid on here a week or two ago, and thought I'd
> give it a go.  All I can say is it's great!!!  Who ever thought that my
> DBs would ever be documented correctly ;)
>
> Druid is one of the most useful tools I've used to date. Bar none!
[sNip]

        I encourage you to get on the web site and make some feature
suggestions if you can think of any way to improve it (or at least just get
on the forum and let them know why you like it, just as you did here) -- the
developers there are very keen about all suggestions they get (I've made
quite a few so far, and they've already implemented some of them).

        Since Druid has specific support for PostgreSQL, I think it would be
nice if it was included with the distribution as a "planning tool" (right
next to the "administration tools" that are included now).