Обсуждение: Problems with PLPGSQL

Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Alex
Дата:
Hi,
I have a problem with quoting  in one of my functions:

now TIMESTAMP := ''now'';
FOR myRec IN SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE job_end + ''360 Min'' > now LOOP

I want to replace the 360 with the contents of a passed value

but for some reason I can't quote it. ... job_end + ''$1 Min'' does not
work.

Could anyone help me out here ?

On the subject:
The whole quoting in PLPGSQL seems to create many people a headache...
is there any plan to make it a bit more user friendly?

Thanks
Alx

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Jason Godden
Дата:
Hi Alex,

If you want to achieve say '360 min' as the string you will have use
concatenation:

FOR myRec IN SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE job_end + ($1::text || '' Min'') >
now LOOP

The syntax is SQL rather than PHP-like.

Rgds,

Jason

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 03:13 pm, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem with quoting  in one of my functions:
>
> now TIMESTAMP := ''now'';
> FOR myRec IN SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE job_end + ''360 Min'' > now LOOP
>
> I want to replace the 360 with the contents of a passed value
>
> but for some reason I can't quote it. ... job_end + ''$1 Min'' does not
> work.
>
> Could anyone help me out here ?
>

> On the subject:
> The whole quoting in PLPGSQL seems to create many people a headache...
> is there any plan to make it a bit more user friendly?
>
> Thanks
> Alx

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Thursday 06 November 2003 04:13, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem with quoting  in one of my functions:
>
> now TIMESTAMP := ''now'';

Your main question has been answered, but you might want now() rather than
''now''. Off the top of my head, I think the ''now'' might get compiled as a
value on the first run and stay at that value.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Alex
Дата:
Hi Jason,
thanks, for the reply. Tried that one but still getting an error

Unable to identify an operator + for types timestamp without time zone
and text ....

Alex

Jason Godden wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>If you want to achieve say '360 min' as the string you will have use
>concatenation:
>
>FOR myRec IN SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE job_end + ($1::text || '' Min'') >
>now LOOP
>
>The syntax is SQL rather than PHP-like.
>
>Rgds,
>
>Jason
>
>On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 03:13 pm, Alex wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I have a problem with quoting  in one of my functions:
>>
>>now TIMESTAMP := ''now'';
>>FOR myRec IN SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE job_end + ''360 Min'' > now LOOP
>>
>>I want to replace the 360 with the contents of a passed value
>>
>>but for some reason I can't quote it. ... job_end + ''$1 Min'' does not
>>work.
>>
>>Could anyone help me out here ?
>>

>>On the subject:
>>The whole quoting in PLPGSQL seems to create many people a headache...
>>is there any plan to make it a bit more user friendly?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Alx

>>TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Alex
Дата:
Hi Richard,
as for the timestamp, both ways work fine, but the other problem still
exists. using a
''60 Min'' works just fine, but WHERE job_end + ($1::text || '' Min'' )
 > now
does not.  job_end is timestamp without tz

Alex

Richard Huxton wrote:

>On Thursday 06 November 2003 04:13, Alex wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I have a problem with quoting  in one of my functions:
>>
>>now TIMESTAMP := ''now'';
>>

>Your main question has been answered, but you might want now() rather than
>''now''. Off the top of my head, I think the ''now'' might get compiled as a
>value on the first run and stay at that value.

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

Don't use now or current_time, use
LOCALTIMESTAMP

CURRENT_TIME and CURRENT_TIMESTAMP deliver values with time zone;
LOCALTIME and LOCALTIMESTAMP deliver values without time zone.

Pavel

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Alex wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> as for the timestamp, both ways work fine, but the other problem still
> exists. using a
> ''60 Min'' works just fine, but WHERE job_end + ($1::text || '' Min'' )
>  > now
> does not.  job_end is timestamp without tz
>
> Alex
>
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>
> >On Thursday 06 November 2003 04:13, Alex wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>I have a problem with quoting  in one of my functions:
> >>
> >>now TIMESTAMP := ''now'';
> >>

> >Your main question has been answered, but you might want now() rather than
> >''now''. Off the top of my head, I think the ''now'' might get compiled as a
> >value on the first run and stay at that value.

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Thursday 06 November 2003 10:00, Alex wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> as for the timestamp, both ways work fine, but the other problem still
> exists. using a
> ''60 Min'' works just fine, but WHERE job_end + ($1::text || '' Min'' )

You probably want a cast:
 + ($1::text || '' min'')::interval

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Alex
Дата:
That works.
Thanks a lot.
Alex

Richard Huxton wrote:

>On Thursday 06 November 2003 10:00, Alex wrote:
>

>>Hi Richard,
>>as for the timestamp, both ways work fine, but the other problem still
>>exists. using a
>>''60 Min'' works just fine, but WHERE job_end + ($1::text || '' Min'' )
>>

>You probably want a cast:
> + ($1::text || '' min'')::interval

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 01:13:00PM +0900, Alex wrote:

> On the subject:
> The whole quoting in PLPGSQL seems to create many people a headache...
> is there any plan to make it a bit more user friendly?

Yes, there's a new cool quoting method that will make it much headache
unfriendly.  It will probably be there in 7.5 (not 7.4, sorry).

"Uno combate cuando es necesario... ¡no cuando está de humor!
El humor es para el ganado, o para hacer el amor, o para tocar el
baliset.  No para combatir."  (Gurney Halleck)

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 18:17:52 +0900,
  Alex <alex@meerkatsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
> thanks, for the reply. Tried that one but still getting an error
>
> Unable to identify an operator + for types timestamp without time zone
> and text ....

You probably need an explicit cast from text to interval. An untyped
(unknown) string gets handled differently than one of type text.

Re: Problems with PLPGSQL

Дата:
> On Thursday 06 November 2003 10:00, Alex wrote:
>> as for the timestamp, both ways work fine, but the other problem still
>> exists. using a
>> ''60 Min'' works just fine, but WHERE job_end + ($1::text || '' Min'' )

> You probably want a cast:
>  + ($1::text || '' min'')::interval

This is pretty much the hard way, though.  A better idea is to use the
number-times-interval operator:

    timestampvalue + $1 * '1 min'::interval;

Easier to write and faster.

            regards, tom lane