Обсуждение: PostgreSQL License Question

PostgreSQL License Question

От
Ryan Mack
Дата:
First, I want to confirm my understanding that the "without fee" clause in
the PostgreSQL license means that a party may not sell PostgreSQL or works
derived from the PostgreSQL source code.

Second, do loadable PostgreSQL modules constitute a derived work?  Can a
party develop new PostgreSQL types or functions and sell them as loadable
modules under their own open or closed source license?

Finally, do applications that install and rely on an unmodified version of
PostgreSQL constitute a derived work?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered on this list,
but I was unable to find them in the archive.  Also, please reply to me
directly, I am not subscribed.

Thank you, Ryan Mack

Re: PostgreSQL License Question

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Ryan Mack wrote:

> First, I want to confirm my understanding that the "without fee" clause in
> the PostgreSQL license means that a party may not sell PostgreSQL or works
> derived from the PostgreSQL source code.

Nope, you are free to do with PostgreSQL (or any derived works) what you
will ... we are a BSD licensed ... "without fee" means that you can do
what you like with it *without* having to pay anyone for that right ...

Re: PostgreSQL License Question

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Nope, you are free to do with PostgreSQL (or any derived works) what you
> will ... we are a BSD licensed ... "without fee" means that you can do
> what you like with it *without* having to pay anyone for that right ...

In particular, "without fee" means that we (the developers) don't charge
anything for our work.  You're free to charge for your work.  Selling a
customized version of Postgres for whatever you can get for it is okay
by us.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL License Question

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 01/11/2003 01:36 Ryan Mack wrote:
> First, I want to confirm my understanding that the "without fee" clause
> in
> the PostgreSQL license means that a party may not sell PostgreSQL or
> works
> derived from the PostgreSQL source code.
>
> Second, do loadable PostgreSQL modules constitute a derived work?  Can a
> party develop new PostgreSQL types or functions and sell them as loadable
> modules under their own open or closed source license?
>
> Finally, do applications that install and rely on an unmodified version
> of
> PostgreSQL constitute a derived work?
>
> I apologize if these questions have already been answered on this list,
> but I was unable to find them in the archive.  Also, please reply to me
> directly, I am not subscribed.
>
> Thank you, Ryan Mack

My understanding is that PostgreSQL's BSD-style license leaves you free to
do whatever want with the it and that includes creating a commercial
closed-source derived version. Unlike the GPL, there are no issues of
derived works or licensing issues if you compile your software to include
PostgreSQL headers or libraries. So develop whatever you want and release
as either open or closed source as fits your needs.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: PostgreSQL License Question

Дата:
Paul Thomas wrote:
> > but I was unable to find them in the archive.  Also, please reply to me
> > directly, I am not subscribed.
> >
> > Thank you, Ryan Mack
>
> My understanding is that PostgreSQL's BSD-style license leaves you free to
> do whatever want with the it and that includes creating a commercial
> closed-source derived version. Unlike the GPL, there are no issues of
> derived works or licensing issues if you compile your software to include
> PostgreSQL headers or libraries. So develop whatever you want and release
> as either open or closed source as fits your needs.

I tell people the only BSD restriction is "don't sue us".