Re: PostgreSQL License Question

От Paul Thomas
Тема Re: PostgreSQL License Question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/11/2003 01:36 Ryan Mack wrote:
> First, I want to confirm my understanding that the "without fee" clause
> in
> the PostgreSQL license means that a party may not sell PostgreSQL or
> works
> derived from the PostgreSQL source code.
>
> Second, do loadable PostgreSQL modules constitute a derived work?  Can a
> party develop new PostgreSQL types or functions and sell them as loadable
> modules under their own open or closed source license?
>
> Finally, do applications that install and rely on an unmodified version
> of
> PostgreSQL constitute a derived work?
>
> I apologize if these questions have already been answered on this list,
> but I was unable to find them in the archive.  Also, please reply to me
> directly, I am not subscribed.
>
> Thank you, Ryan Mack

My understanding is that PostgreSQL's BSD-style license leaves you free to
do whatever want with the it and that includes creating a commercial
closed-source derived version. Unlike the GPL, there are no issues of
derived works or licensing issues if you compile your software to include
PostgreSQL headers or libraries. So develop whatever you want and release
as either open or closed source as fits your needs.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |