Обсуждение: Call for Speakers / Presenters

Call for Speakers / Presenters

От
Jillian Carroll
Дата:
As your new PostgreSQL "Master of Ceremonies", I will be posting occasional
opportunities for speakers and presenters.

In an effort to ensure quick placement for these positions, I would like to
endeavour to create a database of available individuals --and remember, we
need people from all parts of the globe!

If you fancy yourself the type of person to fit the role of speaker /
presenter, I would ask that you forward me the following information:

Full Name
100 Word Mini-Bio
Full Resume
Areas of Expertise
Location
Willingness to Travel
Fee (Including a note if you are willing to present at events that are
non-paying)

I look forward to working with you.  If you have any questions, please let
me know.

--
Jillian Carroll, Your PostgreSQL Master of Ceremonies
Senior Systems Analyst

Re: Call for Speakers / Presenters

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Jillian Carroll writes:

> As your new PostgreSQL "Master of Ceremonies",

What?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Call for Speakers / Presenters

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El Dom 05 Oct 2003 07:20, Peter Eisentraut escribió:
> Jillian Carroll writes:
> > As your new PostgreSQL "Master of Ceremonies",
>
> What?

Looks pretty cool! :-)

By the way, I was exposing in the last Conferences of GNU/Linux and Open
Source Software here in Santa Fe Argentina, about RDBMS and PostgreSQL. Just
a par of hours it was, but one day after I had a bunch of mails of people
asking for extra information about PG (thank GOD there's
techdocs.postgresql.org ;-)).

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?

Re: Call for Speakers / Presenters

Дата:
> Jillian Carroll writes:
>> As your new PostgreSQL "Master of Ceremonies",

> What?

The advocacy group recently put her in charge of lining up Postgres
speakers and presenters for conventions, local groups, etc.  Couldn't
say who came up with the title "Master of Ceremonies" though.  "Speaker
Coordinator" might be less confusing.

I have these other notes on file:

Requests for Speakers to:
Jillian Carroll <jillian@koskie.com>

Requests for Writers to:
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>

Requests for Case Studies To:
Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca>

            regards, tom lane

Re: Call for Speakers / Presenters

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Jillian Carroll writes:
> >> As your new PostgreSQL "Master of Ceremonies",
>
> > What?
>
> The advocacy group recently put her in charge of lining up Postgres
> speakers and presenters for conventions, local groups, etc.  Couldn't
> say who came up with the title "Master of Ceremonies" though.  "Speaker
> Coordinator" might be less confusing.

I think that would be a more appropriate title myself ...

Re: Call for Speakers / Presenters

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
> >
> > > What?
> >
> > The advocacy group recently put her in charge of lining up Postgres
> > speakers and presenters for conventions, local groups, etc.  Couldn't
> > say who came up with the title "Master of Ceremonies" though.  "Speaker
> > Coordinator" might be less confusing.
>
> I think that would be a more appropriate title myself ...

Well, she did have "Master of Ceremonies" in quotes, suggesting it was
more of a bit of sly humor than seriousness.

For me, I pictured a DJ scratching out a rhythm and introducing MC JC,
rockin' the haouse! kinda thing.  :-)

Re: Call for Speakers / Presenters

От
Jillian Carroll
Дата:
Would that make me JC the PG MC?

...but I digress.

--
Jillian

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
As your new PostgreSQL "Master of Ceremonies",

>What?

Master of Ceremonies is a new position that was created by the core (at
least Josh Berkus)
for dealing with speakers.

There are others, such as Editor-n-chief which is myself, and I am in
charge of soliciting writers
and working with publishers.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC - S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming, shared hosting and dedicated hosting.

Re: Call for Speakers / Presenters

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake writes:

> Master of Ceremonies is a new position that was created by the core (at
> least Josh Berkus)
> for dealing with speakers.
>
> There are others, such as Editor-n-chief which is myself, and I am in
> charge of soliciting writers
> and working with publishers.

I find these titles confusing, comical, and presumptuous.  There are no
"ceremonies"; PostgreSQL is not a circus.  And since Jillian is not
actually going to (most of) the events she coordinates, she's not the
"master", which would be the person that runs the event.  As to yourself,
are you actually editing anything, and are you the chief of a group of
people?  Are you actually filling the role of an editor-in-chief at, say,
a newspaper, that is, are you the one that gets to approve what is
published and do you take the responsibility for it?  I'm not sure.  Next
time I talk to my publisher, do I have to check with you first?  Call
yourselves "Coordinator of Events" and "Coordinator of Publishing" or
something along these lines, and people will know what you actually do,
and they will see that your tasks are analogous.

I find it peculiar and disconcerting that the advocacy group appears to
organize itself by assigning all available tasks to individual people.
Whatever happened to the well-established and successful method of
providing a mailing list as the point of contact and solving tasks as a
group?  You will notice that there is no "Coordinator of Development",
"Doc-Writer-in-Chief", "Master of the Makefiles", or even a single
webmaster, notwithstanding the fact that there are de-facto experts in
these fields.  The method you are choosing might be a good way to get
things done now and quickly, but it's not scalable.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net