Обсуждение: default EXECUTE privilege

default EXECUTE privilege

От
Sergey Suleymanov
Дата:
       Documentation says "By default, only the owner (creator) of the
       function has the right to execute it."

       But for me newly created function has execute privilege to
       public by default. And we have to execute "revoke execute on
       function ... from public". Why?

       Version is 7.3.2

--
  Sergey Suleymanov

Re: default EXECUTE privilege

Дата:
Sergey Suleymanov <solt@eatpbank.ru> writes:
>        Documentation says "By default, only the owner (creator) of the
>        function has the right to execute it."

That's a documentation error.  Where do you see it exactly?  I can't
find such a statement in the current sources.

>        But for me newly created function has execute privilege to
>        public by default. And we have to execute "revoke execute on
>        function ... from public". Why?

We decided that was the most useful default.

            regards, tom lane

Re: default EXECUTE privilege

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Дата:
Last line just before EXAMPLES
http://www.us.postgresql.org/postgresql-7.3.3/sql-createfunction.html

Highlighted:

http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:soHhFN4V1IMJ:www.us.postgresql.org/postgresql-7.3.3/sql-createfunction.html++site:www.us.postgresql.org+default,+only+the+owner+%22%2Bof+%2Bthe+function%22++right+to+execute+it&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

At 10:48 AM 9/5/2003 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>Sergey Suleymanov <solt@eatpbank.ru> writes:
> >        Documentation says "By default, only the owner (creator) of the
> >        function has the right to execute it."
>
>That's a documentation error.  Where do you see it exactly?  I can't
>find such a statement in the current sources.
>
> >        But for me newly created function has execute privilege to
> >        public by default. And we have to execute "revoke execute on
> >        function ... from public". Why?
>
>We decided that was the most useful default.

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: default EXECUTE privilege

Дата:
Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> writes:
>> That's a documentation error.  Where do you see it exactly?  I can't
>> find such a statement in the current sources.

> Last line just before EXAMPLES
> http://www.us.postgresql.org/postgresql-7.3.3/sql-createfunction.html

Ah.  Looks like it's already been removed from the 7.4 docs.

The GRANT reference page does state the situation correctly:

Depending on the type of object, the initial default privileges may
include granting some privileges to PUBLIC. The default is no public
access for tables and schemas; TEMP table creation privilege for
databases; EXECUTE privilege for functions; and USAGE privilege for
languages. The object creator may of course revoke these privileges.

            regards, tom lane

Re: default EXECUTE privilege

От
Sergey Suleymanov

 Tom> We decided that was the most useful default.

      Well, not too useful when "SECURITY DEFINER" is used. Anyway
      thank you for explanation.

--
  Sergey Suleymanov