Обсуждение: Table name lengths...

Table name lengths...

От
Chris Bowlby
Дата:
Hi All,

 I've noticed that in the pg_type system table, there is a data type
called "name", would that represent the definition of the table name
space, including the max length a talbe name space could be? If so where
would I find the same definition for the max name space for a sequence,
or index...

--
Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>
Hub.Org Networking Services

Re: Table name lengths...

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Tuesday 02 September 2003 17:55, Chris Bowlby wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I've noticed that in the pg_type system table, there is a data type
> called "name", would that represent the definition of the table name
> space, including the max length a talbe name space could be? If so where
> would I find the same definition for the max name space for a sequence,
> or index...

All names are the same length. This is 64 characters, but I _think_ it can be
changed with a recompile.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Table name lengths...

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 11:55, Chris Bowlby wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I've noticed that in the pg_type system table, there is a data type
> called "name", would that represent the definition of the table name
> space, including the max length a talbe name space could be? If so where
> would I find the same definition for the max name space for a sequence,
> or index...

No matter how long PostgreSQL lets you make table names, I'd stick
with ANSI standard 31 characters.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Causation does NOT equal correlation !!!!!!!!

Re: Table name lengths...

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 06:24:55PM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 September 2003 17:55, Chris Bowlby wrote:

> >  I've noticed that in the pg_type system table, there is a data type
> > called "name", would that represent the definition of the table name
> > space, including the max length a talbe name space could be? If so where
> > would I find the same definition for the max name space for a sequence,
> > or index...
>
> All names are the same length. This is 64 characters, but I _think_ it can be
> changed with a recompile.

63 characters IIRC (the 64th is used for a trailing \0, I think).

"The first of April is the day we remember what we are
the other 364 days of the year"  (Mark Twain)

Re: Table name lengths...

От
Chris Bowlby
Дата: