Обсуждение: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Robert Creager
Дата:
I'm running 7.4Beta1 with pg_autovacuum.  In one of my operations which
is executed frequently, a REINDEX is done after a COPY.  Well, VACUUM's
are being executed by pg_autovacuum, and my app is loosing the deadlock.

Is there a way I can prevent this from happening?  I can obviously
acquire a LOCK before doing the REINDEX (which one?), but it looks like
this should be happening anyway by both the VACUUM and REINDEX
statements.

Help?
Rob

--
 14:38:15 up 9 days,  7:23,  4 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.10, 0.86

Вложения

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Robert Creager
Дата:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:50:10 -0600
Robert Creager <Robert_Creager@LogicalChaos.org> said something like:

> I'm running 7.4Beta1 with pg_autovacuum.  In one of my operations
> which is executed frequently, a REINDEX is done after a COPY.  Well,
> VACUUM's are being executed by pg_autovacuum, and my app is loosing
> the deadlock.
>
> Is there a way I can prevent this from happening?  I can obviously
> acquire a LOCK before doing the REINDEX (which one?), but it looks
> like this should be happening anyway by both the VACUUM and REINDEX
> statements.

Opps, if it helps, the log of the deadlock:

Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-1] ERROR:  deadlock detected

Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-2] DETAIL:  Proc 18735 waits
for AccessExclusiveLock on relation 18028 of database 17140; blocked by
proc 18815.

Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-3] Proc 18815 waits for
AccessExclusiveLock on relation 18101 of database 17140; blocked by proc
18735.

--
 14:55:41 up 9 days,  7:41,  4 users,  load average: 1.56, 1.27, 1.08

Вложения

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

Дата:
Robert Creager <Robert_Creager@LogicalChaos.org> writes:
> Opps, if it helps, the log of the deadlock:

> Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-1] ERROR:  deadlock detected

> Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-2] DETAIL:  Proc 18735 waits
> for AccessExclusiveLock on relation 18028 of database 17140; blocked by
> proc 18815.

> Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-3] Proc 18815 waits for
> AccessExclusiveLock on relation 18101 of database 17140; blocked by proc
> 18735.

What tables do the two referenced OIDs correspond to?  Also, which
process was doing what, exactly?

            regards, tom lane

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

Дата:
Robert Creager <Robert_Creager@LogicalChaos.org> writes:
> So, my guess is that 18735 is the vacuum process (likely vacuum analyze, driven
> from pg_autovacuum), and 188735 is a 'REINDEX INDEX temp_obs_i_loc_index'.

Can you use a "REINDEX TABLE" instead?  REINDEX INDEX is problematic
since it first finds/locks the index and then has to find/lock the
table.  Everything else (except perhaps DROP INDEX) goes the other way.

If you really want to rebuild only the one index, I think this will work:

begin;
lock table tab;
reindex index ndx;
commit;

I don't see a good system-level solution to this other than changing the
REINDEX syntax to include the table name (cf. CLUSTER).

            regards, tom lane

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Robert Creager
Дата:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:05:57 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> said something like:

> Robert Creager <Robert_Creager@LogicalChaos.org> writes:
> > So, my guess is that 18735 is the vacuum process (likely vacuum analyze,
> > driven from pg_autovacuum), and 188735 is a 'REINDEX INDEX
> > temp_obs_i_loc_index'.
>
> Can you use a "REINDEX TABLE" instead?  REINDEX INDEX is problematic
> since it first finds/locks the index and then has to find/lock the
> table.  Everything else (except perhaps DROP INDEX) goes the other way.

I'll try.  There are other indexes on the table.  I'll see what the performance
does.

> If you really want to rebuild only the one index, I think this will work:
>
> begin;
> lock table tab;
> reindex index ndx;
> commit;

Duh.  I quickly glanced at the docs, and saw the warning on the nested
transaction, and thought that wasn't supported.  I remember that it is
supported now...

Cheers,
Rob

--
 09:38:17 up 10 days,  2:23,  4 users,  load average: 2.13, 2.90, 3.18

Вложения

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Robert Creager
Дата:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:11:37 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> said something like:

> Robert Creager <Robert_Creager@LogicalChaos.org> writes:
> > Opps, if it helps, the log of the deadlock:
>
> > Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-1] ERROR:  deadlock detected
>
> > Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-2] DETAIL:  Proc 18735 waits
> > for AccessExclusiveLock on relation 18028 of database 17140; blocked by
> > proc 18815.
>
> > Aug 10 14:19:36 thunder postgres[18735]: [2-3] Proc 18815 waits for
> > AccessExclusiveLock on relation 18101 of database 17140; blocked by proc
> > 18735.
>
> What tables do the two referenced OIDs correspond to?  Also, which
> process was doing what, exactly?

18028 is table temp_obs_i
18101 is index temp_obs_i_loc_index

So, my guess is that 18735 is the vacuum process (likely vacuum analyze, driven
from pg_autovacuum), and 188735 is a 'REINDEX INDEX temp_obs_i_loc_index'.

Cheers,
Rob

PS.  Please keep CC'ing me, as I'm trying to get re-subscribed to the lists.  It
looks like I was dropped...

--
 08:25:16 up 10 days,  1:10,  4 users,  load average: 3.44, 3.49, 3.44

Вложения

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Robert Creager
Дата:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:05:57 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> said something like:

> If you really want to rebuild only the one index, I think this will work:
>
> begin;
> lock table tab;
> reindex index ndx;
> commit;

Figures.  It appears that DBD::Pg doesn't supported nested transactions (I was
already in a transaction).

DBD::Pg::db begin_work failed: Already in a transaction at
/tass/bin/importSList.pl line 445.

Unfortunatly, it does take longer overall because of the second index on the
table, but it always works ;-)  'Nother duh moment, delete the second index,
and then it works just fine speed wise.  Guess I need to re-examine my index
usage...

Thanks,
Rob

--
 21:16:30 up 10 days, 14:01,  4 users,  load average: 3.37, 3.34, 3.19

Вложения

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
Postgres itself doesn't support nested transactions.

Robert Creager wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:05:57 -0400
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> said something like:
>

>>If you really want to rebuild only the one index, I think this will work:
>>
>>begin;
>>lock table tab;
>>reindex index ndx;
>>commit;
>

> Figures.  It appears that DBD::Pg doesn't supported nested transactions (I was
> already in a transaction).
>
> DBD::Pg::db begin_work failed: Already in a transaction at
> /tass/bin/importSList.pl line 445.
>
> Unfortunatly, it does take longer overall because of the second index on the
> table, but it always works ;-)  'Nother duh moment, delete the second index,
> and then it works just fine speed wise.  Guess I need to re-examine my index
> usage...
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Robert Creager
Дата:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:13:59 -0700
Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net> said something like:

> Postgres itself doesn't support nested transactions.

Yea, I just convinced myself of that.  The first time I read the docs, that's
what I thought.  Then I convinced myself when I re-read them that it was just a
warning, and a new transaction was started.  But I just tried it, and they're
not...

Thanks for point that out to me.  I dare say that the BEGIN documentation is
unclear to me, even knowing what I know now.  Why not just explictly say "Nested
transactions are not supported", rather than "...  The current transaction is
not affected".  Alright, maybe I still read at Junior High level.

Cheers,
Rob

--
 21:59:11 up 11 days, 14:43,  4 users,  load average: 2.17, 2.10, 2.02

Вложения

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:06:04PM -0600, Robert Creager wrote:

> Thanks for point that out to me.  I dare say that the BEGIN documentation is
> unclear to me, even knowing what I know now.  Why not just explictly say "Nested
> transactions are not supported", rather than "...  The current transaction is
> not affected".  Alright, maybe I still read at Junior High level.

You have to keep in mind that inside PL/pgSQL, the "BEGIN" keyword has a
different meaning, unrelated to the BEGIN keyword in SQL.  In PL/pgSQL,
BEGIN starts a code block, and has nothing to do at all with
transactions.

(I _think_ the original question had something to do with a PL/pgSQL
function -- if this is not the case, please ignore.)

"La espina, desde que nace, ya pincha" (Proverbio africano)

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Robert Creager
Дата:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:45:07 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> said something like:

> You have to keep in mind that inside PL/pgSQL, the "BEGIN" keyword has a
> different meaning, unrelated to the BEGIN keyword in SQL.  In PL/pgSQL,
> BEGIN starts a code block, and has nothing to do at all with
> transactions.
>
> (I _think_ the original question had something to do with a PL/pgSQL
> function -- if this is not the case, please ignore.)

Na, it was Tom's suggestion of using a begin/lock table/reindex/commit to
resolve my deadlock problem.  Unfortunately, I was already within a transaction.

Thanks,
Rob

--
 07:26:01 up 12 days, 10 min,  4 users,  load average: 5.38, 4.25, 3.74

Вложения

Re: How to prevent vacuum and reindex from deadlocking.

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
In general, the documentation is not direct. When it is, it often is using database theory language, masters level
databaseengineer language.