Обсуждение: Role Models Wanted

Role Models Wanted

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
I'm searching for projects that would serve as good PostgreSQL examples. In
fact it would be nice to have a place on the PostgreSQL web page that
featured some good examples. (If such a place exists and I missed it, please
let me know.)

Ideally the project would have the following characteristics:

-Open-source (naturally, it's hard to use as an example otherwise)

-Good database structure/normalization

-Good error detection/recovery

-Appropriate use of back-end capabilities including functions, triggers and
rules

-Good security practices

-Appropriate use of special PostgreSQL features (non-standard data types,
inheritance, etc.)

A single project might not fulfill all these requirements so feel free to add
personal comments or warnings, eg. "Check out the foo project. It is a PHP
based snarf tracker with a very good database design and extensive use of
PL/PGSQL functions. Don't emulate the security, however, since the code fails
to check for dangerous input leaving it vulnerable to SQL injection attacks."

Also feel free to add characterstics to my list.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Role Models Wanted

От
nolan@celery.tssi.com
Дата:
> I'm searching for projects that would serve as good PostgreSQL examples. In
> fact it would be nice to have a place on the PostgreSQL web page that
> featured some good examples. (If such a place exists and I missed it, please
> let me know.)

It is probably still a bit early to be promoting it as a role model, but
the new membership system for the United States Chess Federation is
being developed around PostgreSQL.
--
Mike Nolan

Re: Role Models Wanted

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
> I'm searching for projects that would serve as good PostgreSQL examples. In
Excellent idea.

> Ideally the project would have the following characteristics:
[...]
- good use of connection pooling
- good use of read-only vs. read-write connections (emulated
  via grants or as in 7.4devel)
- use of notifies (dynamic/non-dynamic notify names)
- good solutions to standard problems:
  - auditing
  - special purpose ref-counting
  - cross-database queries with dblink
  - tsearch
  - i18n for strings in the database
  - "fixed nr. of rows" in a table
  - ...

This should not only serve as helpful advocacy material but
also provide for best-of-breed examples to check one's own
design and code against.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Role Models Wanted

От
"Chris Travers"
Дата:
Take a look at HERMES (http://hermesweb.sourceforge.net).  The demo is
running on MySQL, but as I state in the README's, MySQL is only supported
for demos due to a lack of support for many things.  If you want I would be
happy to set up a demo on a PostgreSQL site (like the one I use internally
for testing).  0.1.0 is currently out and it may not be until 0.3.0 that the
application really starts making use of the power of PostgreSQL,

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
> I'm searching for projects that would serve as good PostgreSQL examples.
In
> fact it would be nice to have a place on the PostgreSQL web page that
> featured some good examples. (If such a place exists and I missed it,
please
> let me know.)
>
> Ideally the project would have the following characteristics:
>
> -Open-source (naturally, it's hard to use as an example otherwise)
>
> -Good database structure/normalization
>
> -Good error detection/recovery
>
> -Appropriate use of back-end capabilities including functions, triggers
and
> rules
>
> -Good security practices
>
> -Appropriate use of special PostgreSQL features (non-standard data types,
> inheritance, etc.)
>
> A single project might not fulfill all these requirements so feel free to
add
> personal comments or warnings, eg. "Check out the foo project. It is a PHP
> based snarf tracker with a very good database design and extensive use of
> PL/PGSQL functions. Don't emulate the security, however, since the code
fails
> to check for dangerous input leaving it vulnerable to SQL injection
attacks."

> Also feel free to add characterstics to my list.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Re: Role Models Wanted

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
I have not looked at this closely enough to know if this meets the
requested criteria, but it is an extensive database. And hopefully they
are serious about security :).

http://www.gnumed.org/

Re: Role Models Wanted

От
"Cory 'G' Watson"
Дата:
On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 03:55  PM, Steve Crawford wrote:

> I'm searching for projects that would serve as good PostgreSQL
> examples. In
> fact it would be nice to have a place on the PostgreSQL web page that
> featured some good examples. (If such a place exists and I missed it,
> please
> let me know.)
> -Open-source (naturally, it's hard to use as an example otherwise)
>
> -Good database structure/normalization

http://www.loggerithim.org

It probably only meets those two criteria, but I feel the database
structure is pretty sound (but I'm biased) I use views to denormalize
(rather than make the Perl ugly).  It's a monitoring app that generates
graphs (similar to MRTG), and 24 hours worth of data (144 samples) gets
selected and graphed in approximately a quarter second (when vacuuming
is done properly), even with 8 million+ rows.

The code is a pre-release, with a full version out in a few days, but
the db is sound.  I'm open to suggestions. ;)

Cory 'G' Watson
http://www.loggerithim.org

Re: Role Models Wanted

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
> I have not looked at this closely enough to know if this meets the
> requested criteria, but it is an extensive database. And hopefully they
> are serious about security :).
>
> http://www.gnumed.org/
*Grin*    I wasn't going to suggest it as I am one of the main
developers ...  :-)

But I did supply that add-on list in one of the previous
posts.

We *are* serious about security. We have to, not the least
reason for which being HIPAA rules in the US. Guess why we
chose PostgreSQL instead of MySQL ;-)

We do do:

- inheritance
- auditing
- triggers / functions (the latter of which not enough yet)
- grants with groups
- simulated/real read-only connections
- dynamic notifies

Karsten Hilbert, MD
GnuMed i18n coordinator
Leipzig, Germany
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: Role Models Wanted

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 16:55, Steve Crawford wrote:
> I'm searching for projects that would serve as good PostgreSQL examples. In
> fact it would be nice to have a place on the PostgreSQL web page that
> featured some good examples. (If such a place exists and I missed it, please
> let me know.)
>
> Ideally the project would have the following characteristics:
>
> -Open-source (naturally, it's hard to use as an example otherwise)
>
> -Good database structure/normalization
>
> -Good error detection/recovery
>
> -Appropriate use of back-end capabilities including functions, triggers and
> rules
>
> -Good security practices
>
> -Appropriate use of special PostgreSQL features (non-standard data types,
> inheritance, etc.)

http://gforge.org/  fork of the sourceforge codebase, now much improved

http://www.sql-ledger.com/ double entry accounting system

http://openacs.org/ enterprise level web community system

Robert Treat
--
PostgreSQL :: The Enterprise Open Source Database